Search

Things to Do/See around PDX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Things to Do/See around PDX

Hi All,

Headed to PDX next week for about 10 days, spending time with my fiancee. This is also my first visit to the US so a lot to take in :-) (She's been in Portland for over two years, and in the States for over 5)

I wanted to poll you all for things to see/do in/around Portland, OR.
(Yes, I've told her I'm happy with whatever plans she comes up with - for she's the one who must be obeyed )

I'm a foodie (not a big fan of sea food though, which is a bummer seeing as PDX-SEA and surrounds are famous for the same). Love photography (buildings, nature, the likes), heading out for long drives and (at the risk of sounding very random) roller coasters.

So, FTers, help me out with any places I must eat at (I'm already dying to try out the Cajun Fries being extensively discussed in the "five guys" thread over in DiningBuzz - albeit not PDX specific!), interesting locals/drives in Portland surrounds where one might head over for the day, or any way for me to get my adrenalin fix by riding on a scary roller coaster or a few?

Keep the suggestions coming.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:21 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Day trips:

Columbia River Gorge (lots of hiking trails)
Oregon Coast
Mt. St. Helens (but access is limited right now due to snow...)

Where to eat:

Welllllllllllllllllllll...that's a matter of opinion. LOL. You name the cuisine, Portland more than likely has it.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:28 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Did you try using the search function?

Good threads on Portland when using Portland as the key word.

For instance:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...-wineries.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...-portland.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...ts-thread.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...-portland.html

as well as many others,

have fun on your trip, PDX is a fun town.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:41 am

If you like beer, head for Widmer in N. Portland or Rogue downtown. Excellent beer and good food too!
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:29 am

drive down to Dundee and sample some Willamette Valley/Dundee Hills wines

drive over to Canon Beach (1.5 hours away)

drive out to Hood River via the Columbia River Gorge and then take the "fruit loop" around Mt. Hood. Stop at Timberline Lodge where parts of "The Shining" were filmed.

Be sure to eat at Andina in Portland. It's a Peruvian restaurant and some of the best food in the city.

Have fun,
dan
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:51 pm

Well, you have to go to the Coast. Cannon Beach is fine (Stephanie Inn etc.), but Lincoln City probably has the best food (The Bay House, Black Fish, and Salishan). Salishan is a great place to stay, but even better, a bit south, is Whale Cove Inn (maybe the nicest lodging on the coast, unless you want to go all the way to Tu Tu'Tun in Gold Beach), and the restaurant there (Beck) is close to the top on the Coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.