Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:35 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Apizza Scholls - Portland OR

I've read alot about this place recently
http://www.apizzascholls.com/

They even do a "low country" BBQ on Monday nights that is supposed to be fantastic as well. http://www.apizzascholls.com/LOW_bbq.htm

I like the hours of the place ^
Hours
Wednesday - Sunday
5 pm-10 pm (or until we run out of dough)
Anyone been?
Old Feb 26, 2005, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I've read alot about this place recently
http://www.apizzascholls.com/
They even do a "low country" BBQ on Monday nights that is supposed to be fantastic as well. http://www.apizzascholls.com/LOW_bbq.htm
Anyone been?
You may want to check out the Chowhound message boards. Here's a link to a
thread describing the place:
http://chowhound.com/pacificnw/board...ges/23009.html

Also, if you search through the Pacific NW board of Chowhound, you'll find many threads about Low's & Apizza Scholls.
http://chowhound.com/pacificnw/board...pacificnw.html
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zebra
You may want to check out the Chowhound message boards.
To paraphrase:
So I broke down and finally went to Apizza Scholls after work tonight to pick up a pie to go.
Although I got my pie to go, as Rodney brought it to me he slyly suggested that I absolutely had to eat a piece before I got home. It just wouldn't be the same once it had sat in the box. I weighed the option of suffering bodily harm at the hands of my pizza-craving wife, who was waiting at home for the pie to be delivered, or savoring a piece of this glorious gastronomic delight on the spot...the choice became obvious when other members of the Apizza staff put the pressure on to eat a slice there. I would take my life in my hands and deliver a partially eaten pie to my wife. After just one bite, I knew that the gamble I was taking could be nothing but a win-win situation for me. Upon arriving home, … The pizza went directly into the oven (onto the pizza stone… Ten minutes later we were happily devouring the finest pizza I've had in years.
An important note, you absolutely have to have one of the seasonal salads, which were attributed by the Apizza staff as a creation of Rodney's. The greens tasted like they had been picked from the fields at Millenium Farms in Ridgefield just that morning. The pears were a crisp, sweet treat. The aged basalmic was complex and subtle. The blue cheese was an outstanding salty, pungent foil to the otherwise sweet, tender salad. I'll go out on limb and say this was hands-down one of the best field green salads I've ever had from a restaurant. My wife, who believes she makes some of the greatest salads ever, concurred. She even went so far to say that it was easily as good as hers. In a nutshell, all I can say is that if you haven't been to Apizza Scholls yet, go there. Right now. Get yourself a botle of wine or two from Mt Tabor Fine Wines and a fistful of chocolates from Jaciva's and camp outside the door until they open @ 5pm. You will NOT be disappointed.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Just tried it

Had not heard of Apizza Scholls before this thread, but decided to try it based on the Chowhound postings.

My conclusion: Finally, there's real pizza in Portland ^ ^ . Finally someone in PDX understands the proper temperature to cook pizza. It was awesome. Some folks on Chowhound are claiming the pizza is better than the famous NY places (e.g. Grimaldi's, John's, Lombardi's). I won't go that far because the sad reality is that PDX does not have the vendors of top quality mozzarella, sausage etc. that New York does. So it's not perfect

As a side note, the cannoli was only the second one in PDX to meet my impossible standards . Di Prima Dolci is the other and still the best. Every time I pass the Beaverton Bakery and think of their "cannoli" offering, I want to kill myself .

P.S. There are some amusing comments by the proprietor's mother on Chowhound apologizing for the intially high wine prices by using such phrases as "We were too aggressive in pricing" and "we did not critically review the Excel spreadsheet". What cracks me up is imagining these phrases being used in a NY pizza joint (Yo sorry but fat Tony was holding his nuts instead of using his head. We f'ed up the prices. Sorry bout dat, pal).
Old Mar 5, 2005, 2:31 pm

"They even do a "low country" BBQ on Monday nights that is supposed to be fantastic as well."

This is a minor detail but Rodney makes BBQ on Mondays at Apizza Scholls and his company is called LOW BBQ. The LOW part of the name originally meant, laid-off-workers, which is what they were when they decided to start the BBQ co.

yours truly,
Candyball
Old Mar 27, 2005, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks to a notable FT PDX'er, the correct address is 4741 S.E. Hawthorne Blvd. w/phone of 503-233-1286.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

anyone else been? I'm finally going to get to try it in a couple weeks.

--
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS Gold

--
One of the best pizza places in the world (i've eaten pizza in on 4 continents and probably 15 countries). Make sure to order the Pizza Margherita and the Ceaser Salad. Enjoy!!
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

--
Finally went and it is great pizza, the sauce is one of the best I've had, the crust was nicely crisp yet chewy. ^ ^

--
Old Oct 26, 2006, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, SPG Platinum, DL MM
If you keep an eye out every once and a while the chef/owner Brian Spangler gives cooking classes on making great pizza. :
Old Jul 28, 2007, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Chef Tony Bourdain visited this place and mentioned how there are not many places that make their dough by hand as this place does.

http://travel.discovery.com/tv/bourd...st.html#Sights

--

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Jul 28, 2007 at 2:36 pm
Old Mar 13, 2009, 1:04 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
They try too hard.
And their effort makes them grouchy.
The pizza is good, clearly one of the very best in Portland, but definitely not NYC quality.
It reminds me of the pizza from little mom & pop places in Europe.
It's good, but just because they don't use frozen dough, doesn't make it really special.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.