Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

[Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji

National Parks passes
$80 annual pass
$80 senior lifetime pass (62 and older US citizens and permanent residents)
Print Wikipost

[Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:31 am
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Flying to Yellowstone - Jackson or Billings?

I will be going to Yellowstone NP the third week of June, and the best-priced flights from DAY or CMH seem to be into either Jackson, WY or Billings, MT. I'll be staying first in a cabin at Mammoth Hot Springs (near the north entrance) and second at the Old Faithful Inn. Both airports seem to be roughly the same distance from where I'll be going, and both have nice, scenic drives (Grand Teton NP and the Beartooth Highway).

I've never been to Yellowstone before. Is there a reason to choose one airport over the other? Since it'll be late June, I assume snow won't likely be an issue coming across the Beartooth highway, and I can't think of a reason why either would be preferred.

Thanks,
AGS
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:03 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Moving this thread to the West (US) forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:16 am

I would pick the Jackson airport. If you have not been out there before you will want to save some time to see the town of Jackson and the Grand Teton National Park. The Jackson Hole Airport is actually in the park, and the town is only a 15 minute drive from the Airport.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:26 am

Programs: NW Plat, HH Gold
Another vote for Jackson. Teton National Park is an underrated marvel. Entering Yellowstone through Teton is amazing. The approach and landing at Jackson is right at the foot of the Tetons and is also breathtaking. While Jackson Hole is not for everyone, it is worth a visit. There are also accommodations at all levels to be had in Jackson as well as some amazing restaurants.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:25 pm

Dont assume anything about Bear Tooth!

3 years ago we were there in mid July and it was closed on the Montana side due to mudslides from the thaw earlier. June is still early in the season up there. Jackson is the safest route. You can always make Bear Tooth a side trip after YNP when you can find out if it is open. Even our drive up to the top and back down on the WY side was great! Enjoy!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:08 pm

What time of day will you be arriving? Are you only staying two nights? If you are only staying two nights. With the first at Mammoth and the second at Old Faithful I would fly into Billings and take I90 to Livingston and then Hwy 89 down to the North entrance. Then you can go from Mammoth to Old Faithful for the second night, leaving from there through the Beartooth pass if it is open. Flying into Jackson would be my prefered route, however it would be a long haul from there to Mammoth especially with a late arriving flight.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:17 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AZOGRR
Another vote for Jackson. Teton National Park is an underrated marvel. Entering Yellowstone through Teton is amazing. The approach and landing at Jackson is right at the foot of the Tetons and is also breathtaking. While Jackson Hole is not for everyone, it is worth a visit. There are also accommodations at all levels to be had in Jackson as well as some amazing restaurants.
Jackson also has tasty beer at the brewpub there in town... ^
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:51 pm
AGS

Originally Posted by fargo
What time of day will you be arriving? Are you only staying two nights? If you are only staying two nights. With the first at Mammoth and the second at Old Faithful I would fly into Billings and take I90 to Livingston and then Hwy 89 down to the North entrance. Then you can go from Mammoth to Old Faithful for the second night, leaving from there through the Beartooth pass if it is open. Flying into Jackson would be my prefered route, however it would be a long haul from there to Mammoth especially with a late arriving flight.
Likely I'll arrive late morning either place. I'll be three nights at each spot (Mammoth and Old Faithful). It looks like it would be a long haul from either Billings or Jackson to Mammoth, and if it was a late arriving flight I'd probably spend the night near the airport and drive to YNP the following day.

The consensus seems to be that Jackson would be the better place to arrive so I think I'll try for that.

Thanks,
AGS
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:52 pm
AGS

Originally Posted by vysean
Sounds great, but it'll just be me and my ten year old son, so I'll have to put that off for this trip.

AGS
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA MM
I did a trip via Billings mid June one year. BearPaw Pass was really beautiful, but near the top you were just driving through snow scenery. Only at the top, though. On the way back, the pass was momentarily closed in the early morning due to snow, but there is an alternate route to the south that is only about 1/2 hour longer and is very scenic. But as another poster said, 90 via Livingston will be a whole lot faster to Mammoth.

I think I went through Billings as it was much cheaper. I agree that the drive past the Tetons is really spectacular, though all in all will probably be a slower way to get to Mammoth - the park traffic is slow and the rangers don't like you to drive fast, as they told me when they pulled me over
Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL MM, AS Gold, Marriott Plat, SPG, ICH
have you thought about flying into one and out of the other? Don't know about rental car drop fees, but that would eliminate having to backtrack through one section or another. My brother did that 2 years ago on our trip (into Jackson, out of Bozeman) and the airfare price was the same. (I drove, so we had my car and didn't have to worry about rental car drop fees.)
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:51 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
If an open jaw works, a Chuppi suggests, Bozeman is probably the best option for Mammoth; then return out of Jackson. If open jaw is not viable, then I'm with the others who are in favor of JAC.

As I recall, there is a very short window for WY DOT to perform maintenance on Beartooth, and you'll probably be in it. If I were you, I'd check out their website or call the DOT to find out about construction if you decide to use BIL. (Ditto on road construction in the park, which is covered on YNP's website.)

Given that Ohio to JAC (or BIL or BZN) is a pretty significant elevation gain, and then YNP is another 2k or more of gain depending where you are in the park, consider that staying in town the first night might make the transition easier.

There are several other threads in this forum about YNP and GTNP that you might get some useful tips from for your trip. That is a great area to go for a vacation.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:40 pm
AGS

Originally Posted by Chuppi
have you thought about flying into one and out of the other? Don't know about rental car drop fees, but that would eliminate having to backtrack through one section or another. My brother did that 2 years ago on our trip (into Jackson, out of Bozeman) and the airfare price was the same. (I drove, so we had my car and didn't have to worry about rental car drop fees.)
That is an excellent suggestion and one that I hadn't thought of. I will likely try that way.

Thanks,
AGS
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:24 pm

Programs: CO, HH, LH, F9
I'm the only one to stick up for BIL

Originally Posted by vysean
Yes, but BIL has the 2007 Brewpub of the Year, Montana Brewing Company. MBC has a great espresso stout that I hope becomes a staple. The regular brews have all at least medaled once at the Great American Beer Festival. The waitstaff has the same snooty attitude as you'll find in Jackson. I don't consider it a real trip there unless I've been ignored twice by the waitresses. It's gotten to the point where I just laugh about it but the beer is well worth the wait. For good service, just talk to the bartender or sit in the dining room. They also have the best nachos in town and located in the Montana Power building downtown. Yellowstone Brewing Company 4 blocks away has several GABF medals and was mentioned in Playboy in 2002 for best wheat beer. Angry Hanks is in between YBC and MBC and has several good beers. Carters Brewing is 3 blocks away and just started with over 10 brews on tap. If a good beer is your thing, Jackson has nothing on BIL.

Flights in and out of BIL are more frequent than Jackson (Code please) but there's more driving involved. The drive over Beartooth Pass is well worth the trip and the nearly the quickest way there from BIL. BZN is pricey but it's closer to the park than BIL. It is tough to get a hotel in May due to the college so just be aware.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k
Flights in and out of BIL are more frequent than Jackson (Code please)
JAC.

As for frequency, that may be true, but you're going to be on a regional jet or a <shudder> prop plane. I only saw one MD-80 flight from SEA on AS.

There is better quality lift to JAC - UA runs A319s from DEN. You do have to book this somewhat in advance to ge a reasonable price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.