Consolidated "Restaurants at DEN or in the greater Denver area" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2001, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Consolidated "Restaurants at DEN or in the greater Denver area" thread

Hi all,

After being spoiled by all the wonderful ethnic restaurants in St. Louis, my wife and I have had a lot of trouble finding a good Indian restaurant in the Denver area.

Any recommendations? Looking for one in the southern metro area (DTC/Highlands Ranch/Aurora).

Last edited by pseudoswede; May 10, 2010 at 4:32 pm
Old Aug 6, 2001, 8:57 pm

Try India's at Tamarac Square.
Old Aug 7, 2001, 5:47 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
There are a couple in the northern suburbs:

Jewel of India (SW Corner of Federal & 104th)

Taj Mahal (multiple locations--Sheridan & ~86th)

I typically eat at them for lunch with their buffets and find both quite good.

Old Oct 4, 2001, 9:01 pm
RAD

Location: Denver, CO USA UA_Premier Exec, Hilton Gold,Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
Denver Sushi

I'm always on the lookout for a good Sushi restaurant. Allow me to share some of my favorite (and not so favorite) Sushi locations in Denver. Please add you own and we can start a useful thread for others to use.
  • Sushi Han (downtown, Lawrence and 16th) -- My usual haunt, just about every week that I'm home. Perfect Edamame in a big bowl, the sunomono is excellent, and the Sushi is always fresh. Uni delivered Thursday and Saturday. Tam is the owner/chef and will keep you laughing. Earned my own pair of chopsticks here at Sushi Han.
  • Mori (Downtown, Market and 20th, 1 block from Coors Field) -- Arguably the best quality in downtown. The Rainbow Roll includes seared tuna and real crab. Delish! Edamame is a small bowl. The chefs are great!
  • Akebono (Downtown, Sakura Square, Larimer and 19th, upstairs) -- Nice restaurant with a small sushi bar. Decent quality but they use onion or something when steaming the Edamame.
  • Sonoda's (Downtown, Larimer and 16th) -- Decent quality, huge sushi bar but noisy and crowded. The combination lunch is not that good for the price (in my opinion).
  • Takayama (Lakewood, just southwest of Wadsworth on Jewel) -- A mom and pop place that caters to the local Japanese population. Excellent, generous sushi at a very fair price! Edamame servings are too small, but the rest of the menu is terrific for someone who doesn't love sushi.

There are many others, these are just my recent visits.

Please add your suggestions and comments!

RAD
Old Oct 4, 2001, 9:13 pm
RAD

Location: Denver, CO USA UA_Premier Exec, Hilton Gold,Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
New thread on Denver Sushi

Had sushi in Denver? Comments about it or suggestions on where to go for great sushi?

Hop over to United States-West and add to the topic "Denver Sushi":

Denver Sushi

RAD
Old Oct 5, 2001, 1:40 am

Programs: None, but flying a lot more Delta these days
I get to Denver a couple times a year and am defintely interested in good Sushi places to try. I've heard good things about Sonoda's but on my one try there, there was a long wait so I went for some fish tacos down at wahoos.

A couple family members live in Denver and have recently discovered Sushi. On my last trip they took me to Tommy Tsunami which was an odd experience. I think its the first japanese place I've been to that didn't have any japanese people working there, reminds me a lot of a PF Chang or other "high concept" places. That said, there's no rule that says you have to be Japanese to make sushi, and the final judge should be how good it is and it actually wasn't bad. Nothing great and certainly not worth the price, but the fish was fresh and cut just fine. Even more odd, on a whim we ordered the steak roll (yes cooked steak sushi). It was really good! I'd go back for that and somewhere else for the fish.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Any Good Diners in Denver?

Going to Denver soon, and have NO idea what to expect as to restaurants.

New York spoils you in that there are so many good-great restaurants all over, I sometimes go hungry looking for the right kind of place to eat when I am in a new town.

Are there any good, cheap breakfast places, pizzerias, or diners/bistros with good burgers in the downtown area, near the Cheeseman Park area?
Old Sep 28, 2002, 11:53 pm

Anonplz I sent your ? to my people in DEN.
They should be back to me soon and I'll post their thoughts...

btw, I'll be in DUMBO in a week and want some good foods...I'll post a thread in the NYC board...
Old Jan 16, 2003, 9:18 am

Denver, CO - Maggiano's Little Italy

500 16th St Ste 150, Denver, CO 80202-4265
Phone: (303) 260-7707. Hours: Mon-Thu 11am-10pm; Fri-Sat 11am-11pm; Sun 12pm-9pm. Payment: American Express, Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa. Special Features: Family Style, Kid Friendly, Large Groups, Local Favorites.
During a recent visit to Denver, the Concierge highly recommended this italian restaurant. I can vouch why. It was delicious. The ambiance of sitting outside under a canopy with gracious landscaping is a sight in itself. The service was imppecable. The wait staff tended our group of 6 with immediate response, and constant follow-up. And both he & she were extremely pleasant. They talked with us for a few minutes to learn us and recommended wines, etc. which were perfect to each of our likings. I wish I could go to Denver more often to have this type of dining experience again. It's not often the service, food, and ambience, all 3 combined, equals perfection. We each had a different menu selection. I chose the filet. It was awesome. I couldn't believe that an ital rest would serve steak better than steak houses! The entire group thoroughly enjoyed the dinner. We stayed there almost 3 hrs. The wait staff was kind & gracious the entire time, not pushing us out the door so they could serve other people. We were relaxed and they ensured our enjoyment. Needless to say, they both received a very generous gratuity, and was presented with pleasure. mmmmmm....remembering this night makes me want to take a MR just for dinner !!!

Hope ya'll get to have the same experience.

Enjoy!....Roy
Old Jan 28, 2003, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Luckily, you don't have to come all the way to Denver to enjoy Maggiano's! They have restaurants in 12 states (CA, CO, TX, MN, IL, GA, FL, NC, VA, PA, MD and MA).

Check out their website at http://www.maggianos.com/
Old Jan 28, 2003, 10:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnnyP:
Luckily...</font>
????

Old Jan 28, 2003, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
wideman, I was merely responding to his comment that...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
I wish I could go to Denver more often to have this type of dining experience again.
</font>
Either that, or you don't like Maggiano's?
Old Mar 15, 2003, 6:44 pm

Denver Eats

It looks like I'm moving to Seattle in a few days, so I thought I'd share my favorite Denver places while I can still remember them. I've only been here a year so my experiences aren't real extensive.

Tacos: I'm partial to El Taco de Mexico on Santa Fe. Have tried various places along Federal and down Colfax in Aurora but keep going back to El Taco de Mexico.

Papusas: I like Acalpulco Tacos y Papusas on Colfax (a bit past Quebec). Basically just a walk up window and you get to watch the women make to papusas while you wait.

Dim Sum: Have only tried Kings Land, but I think I was spoiled by living in the bay area as I wasn't all that impressed.

French: Really like Le Central, its exactly the kind of french place I like, informal and relatively cheap with very tasty food.

Southwestern: Julia Blackbird's at 32nd & Lowell was really tasty, everything tasted really fresh. I like Little Anita's for sopapillas but wasn't real impressed with their other offerings.

Japanese: Love Domo, for its garden and tasty lunches. Very highly recommended. Haven't found the perfect sushi place yet.

Thai: I like J's noodles, but usually hit Swing Thai for takout because its more convenient.

Indian: Have not found a single Indian place that I thought was worth returning to.

Barbecue: Have only had Brother's, but really like their ribs. They are my 87 year old grandfather's favorite meal.

Worst meals: Noodles & Co., I don't know how they stay in business. Tommy Tsunami, worst sushi I have ever had.

Old Jun 11, 2003, 5:25 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Indigo Restaurant – Denver, Colorado

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Indigo

Address: 250 Josephine St. Phone: 303-996-9966 http://www.indigodenver.com Style: New American Food: ****(out of four) Service: *** 1/2 (out of four) Atmosphere: *** 1/2 (out of four) Price: $5-$22 Hours: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday-Friday; 5 to 10 p.m. Saturday-Sunday. Credit cards: All major Number of visits: 3 Parking: Valet, street, perpetually full lot Noise: Respectfully joyous Smoking: No

The dishes are a creative collaboration between Herz and his chef, former Hilltop Café soup king Ian Kleinman (who has some help from sous chef Ben Alandt). He keeps up the tradition of stunning soups with his daily offering of sweet red pepper and roma tomato ($4), a faintly textured puree of the red vegetables flavored with a dollop of jalapeno-spiked cream. The herb-flecked concoction has depth and interest, and it’s a delight alternated with a few shards of Le Lingue Piemontesi, three feet of Italian flatbread made from wheat flour and olive oil, lengths of which threaten to whack the heads of every diner as they sit down.
Depth and interest just so happen to characterize the whole menu, and so decisions were tough. Should we start with a trio of wontons ($7), each stuffed with goat cheese and sun-dried cherries, sitting atop a pool of yellow tomato puree with an entire yellow tomato on the side? Or calamari ($9) fried in masa, with an aioli deepened by the earthiness of smoked tomatoes? Good choices both, it turned out.

Savory salads
As were most of the salads, including one of fresh spinach ($6) that offered roasted beets and a sweet citrus emulsion, and a fun "chopped" salad ($9), a compilation of evenly diced elements, the ides of which is so popular elsewhere and now just catching on in Denver eateries. In this case, the elements included roasted turkey, sweet corn, romas and romaine, all ready to be combined and slathered with a thick Maytag blue dressing.

One of the best things about Indigo is that several of the already well-priced dishes available at night are also on the lunch menu, which means you can have the Niman Ranch pork tenderloin ($17), with its rub of ground Kona coffee and Dijon, its candied apple risotto and its balsamic reduction-of-the-gods for $12 midday. Same goes for the red-meat trout ($17, $12 at lunch) - a rich-fleshed fish with the color of its salmon cousin but with the meatier taste of wild trout - with its rich, cream-cheesy vegetable-filled crepe, and a miso-glazed salmon ($16, $12 at lunch).

Nights only
Other items are reserved for the nighttime, and they are worth seeking out: a painfully rich risotto ($16) with whole-claw lobster meat and a lemon sabayon; a grilled escolar ($18), its supple flesh cut with a yellow-tomato puree; and a pepper-seared ahi ($20) draped with a ginger-kissed avocado sauce.
The portions are big enough to prohibit dessert, and then when you see the size of them you might cry "Uncle." But at least take a bite of the enormous chocolate almond taco ($5.95), with its Bailey's-sweetened mousse filling, and the Key lime fried cheesecake ($5.95), little logs of golden-crispy goodness.

You can see the color of mint on the whipped cream that accompanies everything, but you can't taste it, one of the few oddities in otherwise fabulous experiences here.</font>
from a review in Denver Post: http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...420958,00.html
Old Jun 16, 2003, 12:23 am

Carribean Bakery in Denver

Was in Denver this past weekend and stopped by one of my favorite Saturday lunch places, The Caribbean Bakery. It's a very tiny, easy to miss, storefront on Colfax near Colorado Blvd, run by a man from Trinidad & Tabago and (I assume) his wife. Just one table inside and I usually to order to go.

On saturdays they have my favorite: Goat Roti. Other days they have have patties and rice and beans and assorted baked goods. Some days you can also get Curried Goat, but there's usually too many bones in it for my taste, but the Roti is usually just right!

Caribbean Bakery
2934 E Colfax Ave
Denver, CO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.