Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worth driving to YVR from SEA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Worth driving to YVR from SEA?

We (family of 4) are planning a 8 days trip to Seattle in mid July. We are thinking of driving to Vancouver and spend 2 nights there. Any idea how long the wait is to cross the border?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Border times:

http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/border/default.aspx
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:22 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by mrwhy
We (family of 4) are planning a 8 days trip to Seattle in mid July. We are thinking of driving to Vancouver and spend 2 nights there. Any idea how long the wait is to cross the border?
It varies big time according to day of week and time of day. Usually the southbound crossing (into the US) takes considerably longer than northbound, but honestly I've never found the border to be much of a barrier - just assume it will take between 30 and 60 minutes and be pleasantly surprised if it's shorter.

If interested, the drive from Seattle to the border can be made much more enjoyable by taking secondary routes instead of I-5 the whole way. For example you can travel via Whidbey Island - picturesque little towns, crawl around the coastal gun batteries at Fort Casey, marvel at Deception Pass at a tide change - then along scenic Chuckanut Drive (WA 11) into the historic Fairhaven district of Bellingham, and so on. https://goo.gl/maps/vuxMn4rPeXG2

Don't forget - passports for everyone, and be sure to tell the rental car company that you're taking the vehicle into Canada.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
unsure where you are from---to drive across the border you dont need passports. You can cross by driving with passport cards or if you live in a state with enhanced drivers license

With Vancouver...you should actually spend more time there than just 2 days. Should try to do 4 nights there. Vancouver, like Seattle you do not need a car for if you stay in downtown area.

With crossing the border, there are a few other border crossings than just I-5. For example as part of a rod trup you could also drive to the north cascades and Mt Baker and then head up to Vancouver using one of the border crossings closer to the Mt Baker area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.