Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Anyone here taken a Greyhound bus from Vancouver to Seattle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I'm trying to find a cheap bus fare for April 2nd from Vancouver to Seattle. So I went to Greyhound's website and I was a bit blown away by the prices that I saw.

It's $14 for an advance purchase, $17 for web-only fare, and $15 for a standard fare. What are the differences between these fares? I can't seem to find the difference on Greyhound's website so I called them today.

Unfortunately Greyhound's call center is outsourced to some company in Colombia in South America. I can barely understand the person on the other side of the line. What I did understood was that it's $31 for a fare if I were to book over the phone. So it does seem like it's a no-brainer to book online, but the problem is that Greyhound's website isn't secure. It doesn't have a valid security certificate so both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome are warning me not to put in any sensitive information.

So what should I do guys? Is Greyhound's website even reliable? I'm also afraid that the ticket that I book will somehow be invalid on the date of travel. It does seem a bit too good to be true. Have anyone here taken the bus from Vancouver to Seattle with Greyhound? It is much cheaper than Quickshuttle so that's why I'm thinking of taking Greyhound. Where do I take the bus in Vancouver and where will it drop me off in Seattle?

Thanks for the help in advance guys!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Vancouver WA or Vancouver BC?

I took a non Greyhound bus from Vancouver BC to Seattle and back on a Sunday probably about 7-8 years ago now. I remember getting the bus in Vancouver around the train station, making a couple of stops in the suburbs at motels and such, and then heading down to Seattle. Had enough time to take in a Mariners game before catching the bus back to Vancouver at the Seattle train station.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:17 am

i've taken it but i lived near the greyhound station and just went down there in person and bought the ticket prior to my journey. not sure if that's an option for you though.

i vastly prefer taking the train, though. the amtrak cascades service is awesome. movies, wifi, snack car, drinks, no traffic, big seats...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Vancouver WA or Vancouver BC?

I took a non Greyhound bus from Vancouver BC to Seattle and back on a Sunday probably about 7-8 years ago now. I remember getting the bus in Vancouver around the train station, making a couple of stops in the suburbs at motels and such, and then heading down to Seattle. Had enough time to take in a Mariners game before catching the bus back to Vancouver at the Seattle train station.
Sorry, I meant Vancouver, BC.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by briannahoffner
i've taken it but i lived near the greyhound station and just went down there in person and bought the ticket prior to my journey. not sure if that's an option for you though.

i vastly prefer taking the train, though. the amtrak cascades service is awesome. movies, wifi, snack car, drinks, no traffic, big seats...
Did you tried booking online for the ticket? Where is the Greyhound station in Vancouver, BC?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Where is the Greyhound station in Vancouver, BC?
By the rail station.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
By the rail station.
You mean by Main and Terminal?

Have you tried booking online from Greyhound's website before?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:22 am
Suspended

Done that quite a few times in the past.
Bought tickets at the train station.

If unlucky you might experience a delay at the border due to people traveling with fruits, invalid visa, drugs or insufficient funds. Usually the bus driver waited a while to not leave anyone behind, but usually these people never made it.

Also, taking the train is a nicer way to travel.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:26 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by lsquare
.....Unfortunately Greyhound's call center is outsourced to some company in Colombia....
I would also suggest the train.
Schedules may not suit so well.
But if so, you can even get a free ticket
for a ridiculously small number of Amtrak points.
(1500 Business Class each way)

Last edited by MrHalliday; Mar 31, 2012 at 6:36 pm
Old Mar 31, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
IIRC the AMTRAK train runs from Seattle in the morning and returns in the evening/afternoon. Not helpful if you want to leave from Vancouver in the morning.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
IIRC the AMTRAK train runs from Seattle in the morning and returns in the evening/afternoon. Not helpful if you want to leave from Vancouver in the morning.
There's been a second train for 2 1/2 years now (since the 5 ring circus came to town). 640a and 545p southbound departures.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...n-service.html
Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:46 am

Programs: HH Silver
I would book the cheapest one, and I personally would not have a problem doing it on their website. It is as secure as many other websites I have used. If you are worried about it, use the "Pay @ 7-11" option.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:23 am

Greyhound's website is definitely a safe way to go. Its safe and secure, and as far as worrying about a ticket not being valid when you show up... Do you figure they are a two bit company? No, they are the biggest and most recognizable bus company across North America.

As far as the way to go, I recently took a Quick Shuttle for around 45 bucks, which makes several pick ups around Vancouver and South Surrey on its way to the border, makes a few stops at Bellingham Airport and the Outlet Malls and then stops Downtown Seattle and SeaTac. Great value. Free WiFi and all that.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:37 am

Vancouver to Seattle via Greyhound

Hey folks,
I was just wondering if anyone has recently taken the Greyhound from Vancouver to Seattle. I ask because I'm curious if the buses on this route are the new ones equipped with WiFi or not.

I'm still deciding between taking the Quick Shuttle (which I've taken recently) to SeaTac from Downtown VanCity, or taking the Greyhound to Downtown Seattle and then taking the Link from Westlake to SeaTac. Difference of about $30, which to a student makes a difference =p
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:48 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Boltbus has wifi ... not sure about greyhound

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.