Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Summer Specials for Phoenix hotels - when?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC

Hi,

I am fully aware of the brutal heat in Phoenix during the summer, yet my travel has me pass through there late in July this year. From past experience (about a decade ago) when I had a similar trip, hotels were dirt-cheap (up to the point offering the room-rate basically free in form of F&B-credit) and still almost empty - I remember having one of the two pools of the hotel that time badically for myself only... Haven't done Phoenix in the summer since then, and my last time there at all was about five years ago in Spring, so I need some guidance in terms of what to expect as to hotel rates.

This year so far rates seem in fact reasonable throughout in the mid-100's for a reasonable resort with the chains I have some kind of affiliation. I was able to to LNF the JW Marriott Camelback Inn down to $75, but I'd like to have more options, so I wonder if the rates I see right now is already the expected level for summer 2014 or if there are still specials to come. We will be a party of two families with two children each, so any hotel that either guarantees a Suite (Pointe Hilton) or at least makes it likely for Status-guest (SPG Plat / Marriott Plat Premier) would obviously the preferred option. Most important feature of our hotel of choice would be a nice, attractive pool-area to keep the kids entertained, preferably with slide(s) and/or lazy river. The hotels I am currently looking at have the following rates on offer:

Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak $116 (AAA)
Westin Kierland Resort $143 (Hot Escapes)
Marriott's Canyon Villas $135 (Prepaid)
Sheraton Desert Oasis Villas $89 (AAA)
Sheraton Wild Horse Pass $106 (AAA)

Except for the last two (and obviously my LNF-rate) I think all other rates are somewhat higher than what I would expect for this time of year - I remember seeing the Pointe Hilton (which would be one of my favourites among the listed hotels) to go as low as $89 in the summer.

So: Are rates higher this year, or am I just too early for a deal in late July? Thanks for your feedback on this!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Feb 9, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Summer specials and rates have crept up the past few years in the PHX area. Especially the Kierland, somebody has to pay for that Waverider thingamajig. IIRC, the AZ Republic will do a list of summer specials for locals sometime around Memorial Day.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
You're just a bit too early! You could always book one that doesn't have a cancellation penalty and re-book later when the summer specials come out.

That said, as the previous poster mentioned, rates have crept up a bit over the past couple of years.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:07 pm

Those rates aren't bad, I wouldn't expect to see them drop much lower. The hotels have been busier the last few years during the summer - lots of locals on "staycation". As suggested, book a refundable rate and check for specials in late May/early June. Check out the musical instrument museum (MIM) while you are here, kids (& adults) love it.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Quite honestly, if you want dirt cheap in the summer, LAS is getting better than PHX.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by djohannw
Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak $116 (AAA)
Westin Kierland Resort $143 (Hot Escapes)
Marriott's Canyon Villas $135 (Prepaid)
Sheraton Desert Oasis Villas $89 (AAA)
Sheraton Wild Horse Pass $106 (AAA)
I've done plenty of staycations in Phoenix. Summer is the perfect time to hit those resorts actually, if you're into the pool. Pools are pretty much useless anyways from Nov-March when it's too cold. Not familiar with the two "Villas" above. Out of the other three hotels, Pointe is usually the cheapest. I want to say I've stayed there for ~$90 AAA a couple years ago.

The most family-friendly resorts with great pool areas would include Pointe Squaw Peak, Hyatt Gainey Ranch and Marriott Desert Ridge. I really like Hyatt because they have many different pools that are segmented off from one another and plus they have a sandy beach. Westin has a lazy river and I think it might be longer than the one at Pointe (if my memory serves right), but I don't like how Westin has one big pool where everyone's congregating with alcohol in hand and it's like one big meat market but with families and kids also mixed in. Hyatt, I think it may have been ~$120/night. Marriott about the same.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Short update from my side - it seems I definetly was too early. Memorial day came and went with no real impact on prices, however just last week, rates seemed to have taken a hit. Lows were:

- Westin Kierland: $98 (Hot-Escapes/prepaid)
- Hilton Squaw Peak: $106 (AAA)
- Marriott's Canyon Villas: $119 (non-refundable)
- Sheraton Desert Oasis Villas $102 (non-refundble - the only rate that went up)
- Sheraton Wild Horse Pass $86 (non-refundable)

I decided to go another route and did a BRG for the Westin Kierland Villas at $107 each night - guaranteeing us a Suite, et sparing us from the resort fee at the resort....

Thanks again for all your input, I really appreciate that!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by djohannw
Short update from my side - it seems I definetly was too early. Memorial day came and went with no real impact on prices, however just last week, rates seemed to have taken a hit. Lows were:

- Westin Kierland: $98 (Hot-Escapes/prepaid)
- Hilton Squaw Peak: $106 (AAA)
- Marriott's Canyon Villas: $119 (non-refundable)
- Sheraton Desert Oasis Villas $102 (non-refundble - the only rate that went up)
- Sheraton Wild Horse Pass $86 (non-refundable)

I decided to go another route and did a BRG for the Westin Kierland Villas at $107 each night - guaranteeing us a Suite, et sparing us from the resort fee at the resort....

Thanks again for all your input, I really appreciate that!

Greetings - Dirk
Great to hear! I would love to see a review of your stay.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
For anyone interested, the current issue (Aug. 2014) of Phoenix Magazine has a spread featuring several local resorts for summer vacations/staycations.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:37 pm

Hey Lost,

Are you talking about this article: "101 Things to Do in Arizona" http://www.phoenixmag.com/Lifestyle/...n-arizona.html ?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
No, that's not it. I get the printed magazine and it was in the issue that just came out last week. It might not be up on their website yet for free.

I think the magazine is published nationwide if you want to look for it in a bookstore. The Aug 2014 cover has a woman in a green bikini on it (I think the article was the cover story).
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:36 pm

SPG has deals for Phoenix, AZ through Hot Escapes for this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.