Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Tucson - What to do, what to see, where to go?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
One of my favorite tourist experiences was here. It's about 20 minutes south of Tucson:
Titan Missile Museum

Also, while you're in Northern Arizona going to Sedona is a lot of fun. There are plenty of places to shop for jewelry while you're there and afterward, the drive up 89A to Flagstaff is breathtaking.
+1 for Titan Museum and Pima Aircraft Museum has a lot to see and some very knowledgable volunteers
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
+1 for Titan Museum and Pima Aircraft Museum has a lot to see and some very knowledgable volunteers
Ahh I forgot about the Pima Aircraft Museum, that was a great time too.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Personally this sounds like it will be a trip filled with driving and viewing from your rental car windows, with very limited amounts of time on the ground to actually enjoy anything.

One night in Prescott is barely enough to scratch the surface, especially if you want to do a jeep tour in Sedona (highly recommended). And I second the idea of doing the 89A between Sedona and Flag (or the other way), it is an amazing experience.

If it isn't too late, I'd cut out the Tucson portion entirely, add in a night in Flag (or even the Grand Canyon), then spend the last night in the Phoenix area before flying back.

The Arizona forum on TripAdvisor has a wealth of information also.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by aztimm
Personally this sounds like it will be a trip filled with driving and viewing from your rental car windows, with very limited amounts of time on the ground to actually enjoy anything.

One night in Prescott is barely enough to scratch the surface, especially if you want to do a jeep tour in Sedona (highly recommended). And I second the idea of doing the 89A between Sedona and Flag (or the other way), it is an amazing experience.

If it isn't too late, I'd cut out the Tucson portion entirely, add in a night in Flag (or even the Grand Canyon), then spend the last night in the Phoenix area before flying back.

The Arizona forum on TripAdvisor has a wealth of information also.
I agree with aztimm. There is tons of driving to do in AZ. Save for US-89A, and a few short stretches of I-17, most of the roads are very unremarkable. Stop somewhere and stay awhile.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zdave
I agree with aztimm. There is tons of driving to do in AZ. Save for US-89A, and a few short stretches of I-17, most of the roads are very unremarkable. Stop somewhere and stay awhile.
I think that SR-87 from Fountain Hills to Payson should be on that list too.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:05 pm

Arizona (Tucson to Nogales area): Where to stay? What to see?

Have never been to Arizona. Would like to see scenic scenery, e.g. with cactuses - so plan to fly to Tucson (end of June, most likely - but possibly over Thanksgiving weekend) and then drive to the Sonora Desert area (Saguaro National Park and areas south toward Mexico).

Will spend probably just 4-5 nights. Am not interested in golfing, tennis, fancy restaurants, etc. But wouldn't mind staying at resorts/hotels that may feature these things. Not interested in camping. Looking for comfortable (i.e., not dirty, noisy) lodgings.

Questions: What itinerary would you recommend? For example, places to stay/ things to see between Tucson and Nogales? (Some of you may know of OK hotels/inns in that area - and particular sights worth including.) Also, would you recommend/not recommend crossing over to Nogales, Mexico?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
End of June is definitely the low season because it's hot, and I mean hot in AZ. Most resorts should have deals going to attract visitors through Labor Day so Thanksgiving weekend would be more expensive.

Why spend all 4-5 days in Tucson area? While you're in AZ, why not head up to Flagstaff area (definitely nice in June) and see the Grand Canyon too.

Tombstone might also be worth a visit while you're in Tucson.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
End of June is definitely the low season because it's hot, and I mean hot in AZ.
I'm from a cold, wet area - so very hot sounds nice to me.

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
While you're in AZ, why not head up to Flagstaff area (definitely nice in June) and see the Grand Canyon too.
I thought it might involve more driving than I'd like to do to go that far north. But, from what you wrote, that area is relatively less hot than the Tucson area?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Its the hot season in june....usually on average the hotest time of the year on average because in july/august is the monsoon season of reminents of hurricanes off mexico moisture coming.

Thxvg time is high travel/hih cost time.

If you want to see the dessert area you should try to go in March/April or in October/early November

If you want to travel in June I would look toward the grand canyon , sedona, and monument valley area.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by muji
I'm from a cold, wet area - so very hot sounds nice to me.

I thought it might involve more driving than I'd like to do to go that far north. But, from what you wrote, that area is relatively less hot than the Tucson area?
June heat is excessive....over 100 easly. Thus outdoor activities can be very dangerous because of dehydration.

If you fly to Phoenix the grand canyon is 4 hr drive...very manageable. Especially if you break it up by spending a day in sedona.

Tuscon is slightly cooler than Phoenix in the summer mainly because of elevation...but it still gets hot.

hiking needs to be limited to early am and late pm.

In june....

Phoenix--over 100-110+ every day
Tuscon--95+ every day
flagstaff--mid 80s
grand canyon---upper 70s to mid 80s.

early in June it will likely be cooler than later in june.

Traveling in March the temps will be more summer like where the temps will be in the 70s.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
While in Tucson:

Sonoran Desert Museum
http://www.desertmuseum.org/

Pima Air & Space Museum
http://www.pimaair.org/

Univ. of Arizona Center for Creative Photography
http://www.creativephotography.org/

Mt. Lemmon Observatory
http://skycenter.arizona.edu/
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Some awesome ideas here: http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/01/11...ican.html?8dpc

If you go east, the museum at Columbus NM (site of Panco Villa's raid) is fascinating. There's a very decent Hampton Inn in Deming NM.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Tubac is a nice artist's community down I-19 maybe 30 miles north of Nogales. If you wanna drive a little more off the beaten path, Tombstone is kinda fun to walk around for an afternoon.

Chris
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
In the Tucson area, I encourage you to visit the Sonoran Desert Museum, Tombstone, and Bisbee.

Sedona (and nearby Jerome) are truly unique, if you get north of Phoenix. Nothing like Sedona anywhere I have been throughout the southwest. It could easily have been a national park.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:47 pm

What about Sonoita? If you're into the wine thing...(which I'm not). But, I did a bike ride through the area and had an "Overnight" at the sonoita Inn. My wife enjoyed the area, while I was out riding.

The drive down 83 is worth the extra time. Also, up and over the pass to Tombstone from Sonoita is nice as well. Sonoita is higher in elevation, and will be a bit cooler than Tucson.

San Xavier Mission is worth the time as well.

They'll be plenty of cacti. I don't share the sentiments of other posters, while it will be hot, I've never had any issues with the AZ heat. But, other people are much more sensitive to the heat than others. So, don't let it discourage you, know your limits and enjoy the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.