Search

Consolidated "Tucson - What to do, what to see, where to go?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, UA 2P, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Consolidated "Tucson - What to do, what to see, where to go?" thread

Any must sees/dos in the Tucson area?
I'll be there in late January, flying into PHX and driving to Tucson. I've never been to AZ.
Ideas?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold, National EE
Desert Museum www.desertmuseum.org
Kartchner Caverns www.kartchnercaverns.com
Center for Creative Photography www.creativephotography.org

Do you have any partidular interests?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by zansu
Desert Museum www.desertmuseum.org
Kartchner Caverns www.kartchnercaverns.com
Center for Creative Photography www.creativephotography.org

Do you have any partidular interests?
How timely! I have a 4-day business conference there in March '08, and was wondering about the alternatives of ORD-TUS vs. ORD-PHX and car to TUS. How long is the drive? Once I am in TUS, will I want a car, staying at the Westin?

I like hiking, tribal history, biking...any more suggestions in those areas?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. Nogales pharmacies;
2. Randolph Park GC is a steal;
3. Beware of downed bikers in the mountains.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:52 pm

You will definitely need a car in Tucson.

PHX to the Westin will be about two hours, assuming traffic is ok.

TUS is a much more manageable airport than PHX, but you have more flight options at PHX.

Tons of hiking and biking opportunities. We're a very big biking community. Connect up with www.fairwheelbikes.com

The Westin will be able to provide you with maps to the local trailheads, or you can check out all of the state and national parks
Old Nov 15, 2007, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Old Tucson movie sets
Saguaro National Park
Sabino Canyon
Kitt Peak Observatory
Mission St.Xavier

If you have time, drive one way on Highway 79. Passes though the Cactus Forest and a short side-trip away are Casa Grande ruins.

I won't mention the Pima County Air Museum. Oops.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 6:28 pm

Tucson hiking and wildlife?

We'll be in PHX for a week later in the month and want to spend a day (not overnight) exploring the parks in the Tucson area. There's so much to choose from! What's recommended?

Our plan is to get an early start from PHX, hope not to get too badly slowed down by rushhour there, and be in Tucson no later than 9 am, returning after dinner that night, so we need to be focussed. Two adults, no kids, bringing our hiking boots. Suggestions welcome.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:31 pm

double post (darn cat!)
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:33 pm

Sabino Canyon, Madera Canyon, Ramsey Canyon, Mt Lemmon (also good for climbing), either of the Saguaro NMs, Catalina State Park...

Are you looking for technical difficulty, scenery, water, critters, birds?
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:51 am

Sabino Canyon, Madera Canyon, Ramsey Canyon, Mt Lemmon (also good for climbing), either of the Saguaro NMs, Catalina State Park...

Are you looking for technical difficulty, scenery, water, critters, birds?
We can handle moderate difficulty -- but we probably have time for no more than a four-hour hike, since we'd also like to see the Desert Museum.
Scenery yes. Water, not essential (we're prepared to carry). Birds and critters yes!
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:02 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
The earlier you can get to the Desert Museum the better, since the animals are active first thing in the morning. Though I see that it doesn't open till 8:30 this time of year. If you get an earlier start you might miss PHX rush hour.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 4:36 pm

Desert Museum is on the far west side of town, and you only have 4 hours, so you may want to stay on the west side. Saguaro NM West has lots of trails.

Or you could go north on 86 (Oracle Ave) and stop at Catalina State Park. Hwy 86 is a pretty, but somewhat slower way to get back to Phx too.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 6:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Or you could go north on 86 (Oracle Ave) and stop at Catalina State Park. Hwy 86 is a pretty, but somewhat slower way to get back to Phx too.
If you take that way back to the PHX area, you'd go right near the Biosphere 2. Not sure if they are still doing tours, but it may be worth a quick stop at least.

I lived in Tucson for a year, and get down a few times a year for work. What part of the Phoenix area will you be staying in? If you can, it would be great to stay in the Ahwatukee/Chandler area the night prior, it would help with getting out of town. Once you get to I-10/Chandler Blvd, it is about 1-1/4 hrs to the Desert Museum.

You can easily spend the morning at the Desert Museum, then do a lunch (Bison Witches on 4th Ave near U of A is great, or Blue Willow on Oracle just north of Grant). Then head further East to Sabino Canyon and spend a few hours of the afternoon there. To head back to Phoenix, follow Sunrise to Skyline to Ina, to I-10 (or Oracle Rd to take the back way).
Old Oct 22, 2008, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I would agree with going to the Desert Museum first so the animals are most active. I live in the north though, in the foothills of the catalinas so can't offer recommendations for hiking on the west side of the city (near the DM), if you want to stay over there. But if you want to go north or east, you could go to Sabino Canyon, take the tram part of the way and then hike. The tram will help take some of the time off the hike to get you "out there" faster. There are also trails into the Catalinas, but they tend to go up and up and up. LOL

I would go straight to the DM and then hike in that area, or do the DM and then lunch somewhere in town, then on to the NE to Sabino.

If you google Tucson hiking you will find lots of recommendations from folks who do it daily. I think there's a Meetup group, as well as a hiking club website that has lots of recommendations and folks who would be glad to help you out. Wish I had more time for hiking when I'm in Tucson! I spend half the month there, but rarely have time for a hike except for quick walks in the desert around my house or on the Rillito River path.

edited to add link:
http://arizona.sierraclub.org/trail_guide/clubs.htm
http://www.meetup.com/tucsonhiking/
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:23 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. We're probably headed down Saturday, and will make our selection based largely on how early we can get out of PHX. Had a great time scrambling up Camelback Mtn. (from the McDowell/Echo Canyon side) a few days ago, and we'll be in the Sedona area with hiking friends tomorrow, so this has been a terrific visit for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.