Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

BWI to Inner Harbor: Taxi, Train or rent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA

For Mother's Day weekend I am taking Mrs. MKEbound and 1 & 3 year old Little MKEbounds to Baltimore for Crab Cakes and to visit the Aquarium.

We land at BWI around 10am on Saturday, leave around 9pm on Sunday.

I find the BWI rental car set up to be quite cumbersome, but I have never left the airport any other way. For such a sort weekend, where I really don't need a car other than to get to and from the Sheraton downtown should I just us a taxi? I know there is light rail, but is it convenient enough to the airport and the downtown hotels to justify using with 2 young kids?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
You can take the train straight from the airport. It stops across from the convention center right in front of Camden Yards. Easy walk to the Inner Harbor & hotels. The kids would likely enjoy the ride. Coming back to the airport on Sunday, the trains alternate between airport and Glen Burnie. Make sure to catch the one that goes to the airport.

Of course if you do rent a car, then you can go for crab cakes at G&M Restaurant.

Edited to add: The Sheraton is about 1 block from the stop at Camden Yards ... just on the other side of the convention center. Very easy walk.

Last edited by tazi; Apr 25, 2008 at 8:36 am
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Amtrak will get you there quickly. I recommend you use them.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Amtrak is not too useful for the Inner Harbor though, plus you have to use the shuttle to the train station. The light rail is what you want. Since you're going to stay in the one area, I would think that's fine, skip the car, you won't likely use it for that short of a weekend.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I'll chime in with another vote for light rail. Amtrak is more or less out of the question. If you were heading into DC, maybe. But light rail takes you directly from the airport terminal and deposits you in the thick of things downtown, for just a few dollars. The website with map and fare info is here:

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/lightrail/

Keep in mind that airport trains only run every half-hour on Sundays, so be sure to check the schedule ahead of time.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Personally with little ones along I'd just hop in a taxi unless budget is a real concern. Lightrail isn't the biggest hassle in the world, nor is the "long" one block walk in Baltimore or the long walk you're possibly going to have at BWI depending on your arrival gate, but it's still more than I'd want to deal with along with small kids and luggage.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The hideous, distant consolidated rental car center at BWI adds significant time and hassle to your arrival and departure, though. I've stopped renting cars at BWI as a result and would recommend the light rail unless you have a real haul of luggage... probably not as you're only in town one night. The kids will like it!
Old Apr 28, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Amtrak will get you there quickly. I recommend you use them.
Not really
Old Apr 29, 2008, 3:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
I realize this is unrelated, but I'm a big aquarium buff, and if your kids are into that kind of thing at all, absolutely do not miss the Baltimore Aquarium. I've been to nearly every major aquarium in the U.S. and it's one of the best. More info here: http://www.aqua.org
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
I realize this is unrelated, but I'm a big aquarium buff, and if your kids are into that kind of thing at all, absolutely do not miss the Baltimore Aquarium. I've been to nearly every major aquarium in the U.S. and it's one of the best. More info here: http://www.aqua.org
Thanks! We've been to the Baltimore Aquarium with the 3 year old before, and she loved it. So far she has been to the Shed Aquarium in Chicago, the Baltimore Aquarium, the Atlanta Aquarium (the best so far), the Aquarium in Mystic, CT and the New England Aquarium in Boston.

As you could guess, she really likes aquariums and they are fun to do with the kids.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
The hideous, distant consolidated rental car center at BWI adds significant time and hassle to your arrival and departure, though. I've stopped renting cars at BWI as a result and would recommend the light rail unless you have a real haul of luggage... probably not as you're only in town one night. The kids will like it!

Luggage will be very light. For one night we will have the stroller and each adult will have a back pack.

I agree the kids will love it. The older one took the train with us from MKE to Chicago once and still talks about it, and they both thought the subway in DC was cool.

Light rail it is, as long as I can confirm they are operating at the times we need on the weekend.
Old May 18, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: DM, AA, UA,HH,Priority, Amtrak, Starwwod, BA, Marriott
Originally Posted by tazi
You can take the train straight from the airport. It stops across from the convention center right in front of Camden Yards. Easy walk to the Inner Harbor & hotels. The kids would likely enjoy the ride. Coming back to the airport on Sunday, the trains alternate between airport and Glen Burnie. Make sure to catch the one that goes to the airport.

Of course if you do rent a car, then you can go for crab cakes at G&M Restaurant.

Edited to add: The Sheraton is about 1 block from the stop at Camden Yards ... just on the other side of the convention center. Very easy walk.

Let me second the vote for light rail from BWI. I did this exact journey last year with luggage from the Sheraton and it was very easy. If walking from Camden Yard to the hotel with kids is an issue you could probably get a cab there for a very short ride. Unless it's changed(unlikelky) the BWI rail stop is right at the terminal. Have a great trip!

ETM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.