Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

BWI to Inner Harbor: Taxi, Train or rent?

BWI to Inner Harbor: Taxi, Train or rent?

Old Apr 25, 08, 8:26 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BDL
Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Posts: 5,351
BWI to Inner Harbor: Taxi, Train or rent?

For Mother's Day weekend I am taking Mrs. MKEbound and 1 & 3 year old Little MKEbounds to Baltimore for Crab Cakes and to visit the Aquarium.

We land at BWI around 10am on Saturday, leave around 9pm on Sunday.

I find the BWI rental car set up to be quite cumbersome, but I have never left the airport any other way. For such a sort weekend, where I really don't need a car other than to get to and from the Sheraton downtown should I just us a taxi? I know there is light rail, but is it convenient enough to the airport and the downtown hotels to justify using with 2 young kids?

Any advice would be appreciated.
MKEbound is offline  
Old Apr 25, 08, 8:31 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: BWI
Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Posts: 8,349
You can take the train straight from the airport. It stops across from the convention center right in front of Camden Yards. Easy walk to the Inner Harbor & hotels. The kids would likely enjoy the ride. Coming back to the airport on Sunday, the trains alternate between airport and Glen Burnie. Make sure to catch the one that goes to the airport.

Of course if you do rent a car, then you can go for crab cakes at G&M Restaurant.

Edited to add: The Sheraton is about 1 block from the stop at Camden Yards ... just on the other side of the convention center. Very easy walk.

Last edited by tazi; Apr 25, 08 at 8:36 am
tazi is offline  
Old Apr 25, 08, 10:29 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 26,349
Amtrak will get you there quickly. I recommend you use them.
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old Apr 25, 08, 12:20 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, Earth (PIT)
Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Posts: 5,277
Amtrak is not too useful for the Inner Harbor though, plus you have to use the shuttle to the train station. The light rail is what you want. Since you're going to stay in the one area, I would think that's fine, skip the car, you won't likely use it for that short of a weekend.
CrazyOne is offline  
Old Apr 25, 08, 12:36 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: United States
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Posts: 4,647
I'll chime in with another vote for light rail. Amtrak is more or less out of the question. If you were heading into DC, maybe. But light rail takes you directly from the airport terminal and deposits you in the thick of things downtown, for just a few dollars. The website with map and fare info is here:

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/lightrail/

Keep in mind that airport trains only run every half-hour on Sundays, so be sure to check the schedule ahead of time.
fairviewroad is offline  
Old Apr 27, 08, 10:26 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Posts: 567
Personally with little ones along I'd just hop in a taxi unless budget is a real concern. Lightrail isn't the biggest hassle in the world, nor is the "long" one block walk in Baltimore or the long walk you're possibly going to have at BWI depending on your arrival gate, but it's still more than I'd want to deal with along with small kids and luggage.
ColumbiaPete is offline  
Old Apr 27, 08, 1:37 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Posts: 19,232
The hideous, distant consolidated rental car center at BWI adds significant time and hassle to your arrival and departure, though. I've stopped renting cars at BWI as a result and would recommend the light rail unless you have a real haul of luggage... probably not as you're only in town one night. The kids will like it!
BearX220 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 08, 1:39 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: BWI
Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Posts: 8,349
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Amtrak will get you there quickly. I recommend you use them.
Not really
tazi is offline  
Old Apr 29, 08, 3:56 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nashville, TN - BNA
Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Posts: 1,818
I realize this is unrelated, but I'm a big aquarium buff, and if your kids are into that kind of thing at all, absolutely do not miss the Baltimore Aquarium. I've been to nearly every major aquarium in the U.S. and it's one of the best. More info here: http://www.aqua.org
divemistressofthedark is offline  
Old Apr 29, 08, 9:35 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BDL
Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Posts: 5,351
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark View Post
I realize this is unrelated, but I'm a big aquarium buff, and if your kids are into that kind of thing at all, absolutely do not miss the Baltimore Aquarium. I've been to nearly every major aquarium in the U.S. and it's one of the best. More info here: http://www.aqua.org
Thanks! We've been to the Baltimore Aquarium with the 3 year old before, and she loved it. So far she has been to the Shed Aquarium in Chicago, the Baltimore Aquarium, the Atlanta Aquarium (the best so far), the Aquarium in Mystic, CT and the New England Aquarium in Boston.

As you could guess, she really likes aquariums and they are fun to do with the kids.
MKEbound is offline  
Old Apr 29, 08, 9:38 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BDL
Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Posts: 5,351
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
The hideous, distant consolidated rental car center at BWI adds significant time and hassle to your arrival and departure, though. I've stopped renting cars at BWI as a result and would recommend the light rail unless you have a real haul of luggage... probably not as you're only in town one night. The kids will like it!

Luggage will be very light. For one night we will have the stroller and each adult will have a back pack.

I agree the kids will love it. The older one took the train with us from MKE to Chicago once and still talks about it, and they both thought the subway in DC was cool.

Light rail it is, as long as I can confirm they are operating at the times we need on the weekend.
MKEbound is offline  
Old May 18, 08, 10:08 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: phx
Programs: DM, AA, UA,HH,Priority, Amtrak, Starwwod, BA, Marriott
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by tazi View Post
You can take the train straight from the airport. It stops across from the convention center right in front of Camden Yards. Easy walk to the Inner Harbor & hotels. The kids would likely enjoy the ride. Coming back to the airport on Sunday, the trains alternate between airport and Glen Burnie. Make sure to catch the one that goes to the airport.

Of course if you do rent a car, then you can go for crab cakes at G&M Restaurant.

Edited to add: The Sheraton is about 1 block from the stop at Camden Yards ... just on the other side of the convention center. Very easy walk.

Let me second the vote for light rail from BWI. I did this exact journey last year with luggage from the Sheraton and it was very easy. If walking from Camden Yard to the hotel with kids is an issue you could probably get a cab there for a very short ride. Unless it's changed(unlikelky) the BWI rail stop is right at the terminal. Have a great trip!

ETM
ETManning is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread