Wiki Posts
Search

Restricting Velocity membership

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
Restricting Velocity membership

Could someone explain the thinking behind restricting Velocity membership to specific countries?

Last edited by Neiltoo; Jul 6, 2016 at 11:48 am
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I am not aware they do that - can't see any valid reason really.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:17 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by Neiltoo
Could someone explain the thinking behind restricting Velocity membership to specific countries?
1 Because they can
2 Because it helps a commercial partner. I suspect the Virgin Group has agreed informally to a regional carve up between Velocity, Virgin Atlantic and Virgin America
3 BA when they were partners on the Kangaroo route denied Executive Club membership to Australian residents, presumably to advantage their partner Qantas

VA is basically an Australian domestic airline; why would a non-resident want to join?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ozstamps
I am not aware they do that - can't see any valid reason really.
They certainly do; I suspect there's a commercial/contractual reason.

https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.co...ns/#membership

5.1.1 An individual is eligible to become a Member if:

(a) they are an individual resident in Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, Tonga, Solomon Islands, Samoa, Christmas Island or Cocos Island;
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTWFF
VA is basically an Australian domestic airline; why would a non-resident want to join?
Ive booked enough flights in the next 8 months to get gold (if I could register!) including AKL - RAR which is hardly Australian or regional! So whilst I understand the reasons you give from a Virgin commercial point of view there are many reasons why a non resident could benefit from joining.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course, there may be quite a few Australian members of the BAEC who have a residential address in Austr[al]ia.

Maybe there's a few Irishmen with a Pacific address ....
shillard and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Neiltoo
Ive booked enough flights in the next 8 months to get gold (if I could register!) including AKL - RAR which is hardly Australian or regional! So whilst I understand the reasons you give from a Virgin commercial point of view there are many reasons why a non resident could benefit from joining.
Per a previous post it's a non-resident of the South Pacific region who is barred. However (as I knew would happen) you've overlooked my caveat "basically"
Old Jul 10, 2016, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Per a previous post it's a non-resident of the South Pacific region who is barred. However (as I knew would happen) you've overlooked my caveat "basically"
I'm sorry if I disappointed you but also pleased that I proved you right.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
They fly to many international destinations.. and they're joint venture partners with Delta.

Restricting Velocity membership is just stupid.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by serfty
They certainly do; I suspect there's a commercial/contractual reason.

https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.co...ns/#membership
Interesting that the rules are "An individual is eligible to become a Member" rather than "... remain a Member".
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
They fly to many international destinations.. and they're joint venture partners with Delta.
Realists regard NZ as a domestic destination and that's reflected in restricting membership to the South Pacific. Besides that there's Abu Dhabi and Los Angeles and ... ??? Joint venture partnerships in this context are irrelevant except for those already resident in the South Pacific. If you want to accumulate international miles, join an international carrier's FF scheme
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
In my case, it would've been a question of whether to choose to earn miles on VA or VS for my DL flights. VS might still have won (the 100% bonus on DL would have been hard to pass up), but VA would've probably had a serious claim on it for the purposes of racking up points for a LAX-SYD/BNE award. Still, Platinum on VA would require at most 25 legs on DL in F (I can see a case for it being in the mid-teens, depending on the mix of flights).
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... don't forget the required 8 flights on VA flight numbers ... (i.e. VA Marketed).

That takes it down to 23 DL First/Business class flights.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:48 am

It is due to leagal reasons with the Virgin brand
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by keitherson

Restricting Velocity membership is just stupid.
As a member, I can say VA does not fly to many international destinations beyond the country list they accept as members. Pretty much just two.

And as you said they are partners with Delta and many other airlines, so you can earn points and status on those partners if you aren't able to become a Velocity member.

Velocity is a pretty good program, but I can't see why anyone would be upset they can't join if they don't live in the South Pacific.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.