Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restricting Velocity membership

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
As someone in that boat, I can: Kangaroo award availability, particularly outside of Y, is painfully difficult to come by on a partner basis (rather than "natively"). They're not in-alliance, which knocks out that avenue of status-earning (e.g. while I can earn SQ miles on VA, they don't count towards status). SkyPesos is also a program that I avoid like the plague post-devaluation...and nobody else seems to get much access to their seats.

More to the point...this is really the only case I've heard of where an airline of significant size restricts FF membership.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
More to the point...this is really the only case I've heard of where an airline of significant size restricts FF membership.
BA does for SWP residents.

As per post #6, I know of people who "live" in Austr(al)ia.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 30, 2016 at 3:57 pm
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I'm not sure why this is such a problem. Find a multinational corporation, use their office address in the country where you need residence, register for electronic communications and Bob's your uncle. Most airline Apps hold a representation of your card; there's absolutely no need for any physical media. I do it all the time. My registered postcode for watching the UK's Channel 4 via my Roku is SW1A 1AA (Google will tell you who lives there)
shillard likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF
I'm not sure why this is such a problem. Find a multinational corporation, use their office address in the country where you need residence, register for electronic communications and Bob's your uncle. Most airline Apps hold a representation of your card; there's absolutely no need for any physical media. I do it all the time. My registered postcode for watching the UK's Channel 4 via my Roku is SW1A 1AA (Google will tell you who lives there)
This wouldn't work with a Velocity membership - a physical card is sent out to the address on the account whenever when you move up to the next status level and/or when your status is reviewed (which happens every 12 months), and as far as I know there's no way to "opt out" of receiving the card.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
So in other words, you'd need someone in that part of the world able and willing to forward 1-2 cards per year?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Simba66
This wouldn't work with a Velocity membership - a physical card is sent out to the address on the account whenever when you move up to the next status level and/or when your status is reviewed (which happens every 12 months), and as far as I know there's no way to "opt out" of receiving the card.
And what is the recipient office going to do with it? At worst, return to sender; at best, throw in the bin. Trust me, I've been doing this sort of thing for years. If they contact you, you ignore them. Absolutely nothing happens
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:09 am

Thinking of flying with VA in a few months and thought "why not sign up for its FFP (Velocity)", only to find I am persona non grata as I don't live in the few places it accepts members from. Shame because its prices are very attractive and I was considering using VA beyond the upcoming trip. At least QF still likes me.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Thinking of flying with VA in a few months and thought "why not sign up for its FFP (Velocity)", only to find I am persona non grata as I don't live in the few places it accepts members from. Shame because its prices are very attractive and I was considering using VA beyond the upcoming trip. At least QF still likes me.
Given VA has very limited routes not sure how you (HK from profile) would use VA after a trip. The price will not change if you fly VA and credit to one of its partners, DL, SQ, EY etc. Frequent flyer miles should be a by product and not the reason for selecting an airline.

As for QF "liking you" its not a good reason to fly QF or join the (poor) QF ffp.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Given VA has very limited routes not sure how you (HK from profile) would use VA after a trip....
Errm... VA has a partnership with HX (Hong Kong Airways)

Also, VA fly HKG to/from SYD/MEL.

Earlier this year I earned 30 SC for ~AUD180 on a deep discount return fare HKG-BKK.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Simba66
Not any more. Like many loyalty schemes, physical membership cards are a thing of the past although my recollection is that for some bizarre reason VA send out baggage tags. Everything else is digital
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Errm... VA has a partnership with HX (Hong Kong Airways)

Also, VA fly HKG to/from SYD/MEL.

Earlier this year I earned 30 SC for ~AUD180 on a deep discount return fare HKG-BKK.
Just don't try flying HKG-AKL any more - https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...and-turns-back
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: VA Platinum, UA Gold, Qantas Silver
Originally Posted by RTWFF
Not any more. Like many loyalty schemes, physical membership cards are a thing of the past although my recollection is that for some bizarre reason VA send out baggage tags. Everything else is digital
I received a physical new gold card a couple of weeks ago and expect a new platinum one shortly. I use it every week when I buy diesel at BP. I also don't feel like I could get into Delta Sky Clubs without an actual card.

Last edited by MoabRox; Feb 28, 2019 at 3:14 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I kept my Velocity membership after I left Australia.

Other than the "non expiry" of points (you need to do at least one transaction withing 24 month period) and I can transfer points from my Australian credit card, I dont see other benefit.

I got plenty of Status Credit ... enough to get Gold and sometimes Platinum, yet since I rarely fly using Virgin Australia's own metal, I never have enough Sectors to get the status.

Btw, my registered address in Australia is still accessible by me.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaizen7
.... enough to get Gold and sometimes Platinum, yet since I rarely fly using Virgin Australia's own metal, I never have enough Sectors to get the status.
The flights just need to be a VA flight number (i.e. Marketed by VA) in a fare bucket eligible for earn.

So codeshares can work.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by serfty
The flights just need to be a VA flight number (i.e. Marketed by VA) in a fare bucket eligible for earn.

So codeshares can work.
Yes, but it is impossible to book a VA codeshare unless the reservation involves traveling to/from Australia.

Your point may make it easier for someone traveling to Australia from a city that VA doesn't service, but it won't help anyone who is traveling outside Oz.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Mar 1, 2019 at 12:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.