Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Availability of platinum Mile upgrades on VA to Lax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-2MM,VAus VIP,, MR/Bonvoy LT Platinum, AA Ex Plat,LH FT, HH,hyatt, Accor Gold

I will be moving next year for a 3 year contract to Melbourne. Very exciting, but long and very expensive flights home to Detroit ( business preferred of course) are a concern, family of four.

So far I plan on using new Delta global upgrades (diamond though 2017) and status match with United for theirs. also have AA option, but their SWU don't work, as only AA metal, not Quantas.

I had not even considered joining a local program for just 3 years, but VA may be attractive if these are somewhat easily available. I will continue to fly plenty.

Any experience or other idea is appreciated.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Such upgrades (Transpacific) are available for VA "Velocity" Gold or Platinum flyers using points (miles).

The fare needs to be booked into Flexible Economy or Premium Economy classes to be eligible for such an upgrade.

A Platinum gets 4 complimentary 'upgrades' per year for use on domestic segments. Points can also be used - again the fare needs to be of a Flexible Economy class.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-2MM,VAus VIP,, MR/Bonvoy LT Platinum, AA Ex Plat,LH FT, HH,hyatt, Accor Gold
Thank you, so I take it these are actually available?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
I believe VA no longer flies Melb>LAX, you go via either Sydney or Brisbane.

Im platinum and usually phone the airline to check availability and then book over the phone, I ask them to waive the $$ fee person because I couldn't do the booking online.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jmr007
Thank you, so I take it these are actually available?
Basically, if there is award redemption availability, there should be upgrade availability.

Generally booking 11 months out will get these awards or upgrades. It's easy enough to search online using www.virginaustralia.com.

For the upgrades you need to call. Similar to Osmo, I search online and call Velocity to verify. Generally I go through the booking process online right to the payment screen before calling.

Failing anything else, the other thing is you can do is credit VA travel to SKYMILES®.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...australia.html
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: VAG
Yeesh, who plans trips 11 months out? I have no idea what city I'll be living in eleven months from now.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Yeesh, who plans trips 11 months out? I have no idea what city I'll be living in eleven months from now.
Looking for Transpacific awards in Premium cabins on close to set dates? I do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.