Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot Gold

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Question Pilot Gold

Has anyone had any experience with Pilot Gold?

It looks too good to be true ..

Only 80SP and one eligible sector to achieve Gold for 12months

Is there a catch somewhere?
Also the threshold for Gold in Virgin seems ridiculously low (compared with Airnz)

Can someone tell me if I am wrong
Two return trips from Brisbane to Christchurch is 80SP
This gives you gold for a year

Next 12 months only 10 of the cheapest ticket return trips to Wellington ( 400SP ) and Gold is retained

If this was airnz
I would need 810 SP to retain gold earning 7 SP on the cheapest flight I would have to do 58 flights

Same plane same flight similar cost

Could my calculation be correct ?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: VAG
No experience with Pilot Gold, although Velocity did grant me free gold status for my first year through my employer. (A large agency not entirely disconnected from the Australian government).

However you're right, Velocity Gold is relatively easy to maintain, and ten return trans-Tasman trips will definitely do it. Or possibly fewer if you do each flight in multiple sectors (is there even a nonstop BNE-WLG flight?)

Mind you, that's NZ being extremely stingy with status credits on their cheap fares rather than VA being extremely generous. If you really need 58 return trips BNE-WLG to get gold, then that's 180,000 miles!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Pilot Gold

Originally Posted by Jorgen
No experience with Pilot Gold, although Velocity did grant me free gold status for my first year through my employer. (A large agency not entirely disconnected from the Australian government).

However you're right, Velocity Gold is relatively easy to maintain, and ten return trans-Tasman trips will definitely do it. Or possibly fewer if you do each flight in multiple sectors (is there even a nonstop BNE-WLG flight?)

Mind you, that's NZ being extremely stingy with status credits on their cheap fares rather than VA being extremely generous. If you really need 58 return trips BNE-WLG to get gold, then that's 180,000 miles!
YES the pilot gold is similar to what you experienced except you only get it for 3 months with the one year being granted if you get 80SP of which one needs to be an eligible sector

So by being too stingy it will not long before people realise there are easier roads to gold!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: VA Velocity, SQ KrisFlyer
Alternatively 400 SC can be easily earned if you purchase 2 return on Flexi Saver fare between Sydney and Hong Kong on SQ - very welcoming for overseas students who travel twice per year.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Easy gold

Originally Posted by Metropolitan Airlines
Alternatively 400 SC can be easily earned if you purchase 2 return on Flexi Saver fare between Sydney and Hong Kong on SQ - very welcoming for overseas students who travel twice per year.
Plus 4 eligible sectors on virgin ?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: VA Velocity, SQ KrisFlyer
Pilot Gold

Perhaps can be done by booking the SQ flights on VA code will do? Since eligible sectors = VA Marketed flights.

Although by doing so, you will be losing S$20 shopping credit at your stopover...

Otherwise, during mid semester break, simply do a Melbourne run from Sydney for a visit will do!

Last edited by Metropolitan Airlines; Oct 24, 2014 at 7:17 am
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Pilot Gold

Has any one tried Pilot Gold with family pooling?
Do you need to turn it off for the Pilot period?
Also can you reduce the the 3 month pilot period as reading the conditions the SC earnt are wiped at the end of the pilot period
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Smile flexi-saver on SIA

Originally Posted by Metropolitan Airlines
Thanks for this information (just about to book)

per $ dollar of cost per status point and the least amount of flying
This must be the very best value especially since I also travel to Hong Kong twice a year too

With SIA having a sale now its fantastic value for achieving/maintaining Gold ....

I will do the 4 eligible sectors TT

Ps the additional cost to upgrade to 100pc earning fare class is A $240 so effectively you get 100SP for $240 !

Last edited by Beano; Nov 17, 2014 at 10:37 am Reason: correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.