Last edited by tango3; Jul 14, 2015 at 9:29 am
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Quick question re Velocity Status Renewal

Sounds fine to me.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Apologies if this has been asked before; I've had a bit of a search and turned up nothing.

I'm currently VA Silver with 260 status credits and two eligible sectors. I have existing bookings on VA that will give me another 240 status credits and three eligible sectors before the end of the calendar year. I started crediting flights to VA in about February, so will hit Gold in plenty of time.

That was all reasonably finely planned.

Except today I've found I have a business trip to Singapore in November (flying Singapire Airlines J). Now, I could credit those to NZ, but given NZ's programme is a bit rubbish when it comes to crediting other airlines (value wise) it makes far more sense to credit to VA.

But here's my problem. The flights to Singapore will mean I have significantly more VA Status Credits than 260 by the time I get my next two eligible sectors. Assuming I'm not able to hit Platinum before February, what will happen to my "excess" status credits I earn before I get my two eligible sectors and hit Gold? Ideally they'll roll over and be available to help me requalify the following year, but I haven't seen anything to confirm that.

Hope that's not too confusing; I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts or experiences.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Excess SC's are only useful for qualifying a higher level, or if WP, gifting SG/WP status to others.

SC's earned are valid for 12 months to the day.

To upgrade to gold status you need 500 SC's earned within the prior 365 days including earning on at least 4 VA marketed flight segments.

On the date that happens, you become SG for 12 months (+ 1 review month).

Any SC's earned from that date and 365 days hence go towards re-qualification.

SC's earned over 500 at time of SG qualification will also be used for the daily calculation of Platinum qualification.

e.g. Earn 200 SC's with 2 flights in May, then earn 200 SC's with 2 flights in July. Earn another 200 SC's in October with 3 flights and the last flight on October 20th earning 110 SC's.

You Qualify SG with 5 flights and 400 SC's and have until 20th October 2016 to earn another 500 SC's and have 4 flights to retain SG.

However, if you earn another 400 SC's and have another three flights before May 2016 you have then had the 8 flights and 1000 SC's in the previous 365 days and hence become platinum.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 24, 2015 at 5:01 pm
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
SC's earned are valid for 12 months to the day.

To upgrade to gold status you need 500 SC's earned within the prior 365 days including earning on at least 4 VA marketed flight segments.

On the date that happens, you become SG for 12 months (+ 1 review month).

Any SC's earned from that date and 365 days hence go towards re-qualification.

SC's earned over 500 at time of SG qualification will also be used for the daily calculation of Platinum qualification.

e.g. Earn 200 SC's with 2 flights in May, then earn 200 SC's with 2 flights in July. Earn another 200 SC's in October with 3 flights and the last flight on October 20th earning 110 SC's.

You Qualify SG with 5 flights and 400 SC's and have until 20th October 2016 to earn another 500 SC's and have 4 flights to retain SG.

However, if you earn another 400 SC's and have another three flights before May 2016 you have then had the 8 flights and 1000 SC's in the previous 365 days and hence become platinum.
Understand all of that. My issue is what happens to "excess" status credits I earn before I qualify as Gold.

Example:

February:
10 X 10 credits NZ domestic flights = 100 status credits, 0 eligible sectors.

March:
2 X 80 credits VA metal and marketed flights = 160 credits, 2 eligible sectors.

November:
2 X 160 credits SQ international flights = 320 credits, 0 eligible sectors.

December:
3 X 80 credits VA metal and marketed flights = 240 credits, 3 eligible sectors.

Due to the SQ flights and earning 320 credits the third VA December flight isn't really relevant, but obviously the (2) eligible sectors are. I won't hit Gold until December when I fly those 2 eligible sectors. But even before then I'll have over 500 status credits.

I know that these will go toward me hitting platinum before February, but that isn't possible (I'm travelling in Europe in Jan/Feb).

My question relates to what happens to the excess status credits in relation to requalification. Are excess credits earned ebfore Gold qualification lost, or do they carry over for Gold requalification the following year?

Again, apologies if this is confusing; I'm trying to be as clear as I can.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
Again, apologies if this is confusing; I'm trying to be as clear as I can.
You replied before I could complete my edit.

See the first line of that reply:
Excess SC's are only useful for qualifying a higher level, or if WP, gifting SG/WP status to others.
More on that - they are only useful in that way up to 365 days after they are earned.

Basically, if you do not qualify WP within 365 days of earning them, they will no longer be useful.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
You replied before I could complete my edit.

See the first line of that reply: More on that - they are only useful in that way up to 365 days after they are earned.

Basically, if you do not qualify WP within 365 days of earning them, they will no longer be useful.
Damn. I was worried that'd be the case. Thanks for your help.

[now looking at options for a cheap three sector status run to qualify for Platinum...my partner is going to kill me]
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: BA:Silver VA:Gold
You can pool the SCs to another family member (if you have one) while you wait for your Eligible Sector count to rise. At kleast then they don't go entirely to waste
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by andye1

You can pool the SCs to another family member (if you have one) while you wait for your Eligible Sector count to rise. At kleast then they don't go entirely to waste
Yes the pooling is very useful. I got Margo to Gold this year as I had way too many SC. Better than them going to waste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.