Are upgrades really this easy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Are upgrades really this easy?

Booked tickets for November yesterday for SYD->PER->SYD in Flexi
Called this morning to apply points to upgrade to the pointy end
I am a base "red" member, call was answered within 2min and upgrades confirmed and tickets re-issued in under 10min

Coming from the world of UA....
This just seams utterly implausible to me and there has to be some form of a catch....

Also on the A332
Any thoughts on which seats are the best seats in the front cabin?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I won't bother re-posting but here's the link to my post on 332 J seating:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...j-seating.html
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by LordTentacle

Coming from the world of UA....
This just seams utterly implausible to me and there has to be some form of a catch....
These days VA seem to have more award/upgrade availability than many airlines ...

FWIW, upgrade and flight awards come from the same fare bucket (Z), so if you find a flight with Business award availability, you can book a flexi on that flight and upgrade into that award space.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Booked tickets for November yesterday for SYD->PER->SYD in Flexi
Flexi? You paid over $500 one-way, about 250% of the normal economy fare, you should expect to find it easy to upgrade.

"Flexi" is effectively the new biz class, with the paltry 9900 points to upgrade.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by harryhv
Flexi? You paid over $500 one-way, about 250% of the normal economy fare, you should expect to find it easy to upgrade.

"Flexi" is effectively the new biz class, with the paltry 9900 points to upgrade.
With the work discount... it was quite a bit less then $500 each way....

Regardless though... its only the "new biz class" if the upgrades are available
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:57 pm

VA is very easy to upgrade on. Considering in effect that points are a liability for an airline. You could use your points for any offer they have. The more points people burn the less long term liability for the carrier. The cost of your economy flexo covers you being on a plane. Your points effectively only got you extra space and a fancy meal. The 20000 points could have almost been a free Y flight coast to coast plus taxes.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:43 pm

And you just gave them the idea how to make it more difficult/annoying
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Flights to Perth ended up going without a hitch
Far better then UA or QF, I'm sold on using VA from now on
buffegg likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

With the work discount... it was quite a bit less then $500 each way....
Do tell.

Need a couple of Flexis to Perth (to use Plat upgrade certs) and the cost seems silly on website.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Do tell.

Need a couple of Flexis to Perth (to use Plat upgrade certs) and the cost seems silly on website.
I'm not allowed to mention the specific rate but its >25% and less then 50% on any domestic Flexi or Business ticket

Even if I had to pay full rate of $1k + 20k points is cheap to me for a round trip considering the aircraft and service provided

I'm going to be doing this again in June for Supernova Perth and am looking forward to trying out the new J product
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
My brother's due to fly on the HKG SYD route and he initially booked under Y class, did a bid at the minimal aud570 just trying out his luck for fun and he received an email just now and it was confirmed. Merry Christmas all round haha!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manucanuck
My brother's due to fly on the HKG SYD route and he initially booked under Y class, did a bid at the minimal aud570 just trying out his luck for fun and he received an email just now and it was confirmed. Merry Christmas all round haha!
This time of year very few people are travelling for work, with paid business class tickets. But a lot are flying for personal travel, so VA may have overbooked economy class on the flight. Revenue management is never predictable.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
This time of year very few people are travelling for work, with paid business class tickets. But a lot are flying for personal travel, so VA may have overbooked economy class on the flight. Revenue management is never predictable.
Not VA I know, but a friend checked in on Xmas Eve with EK out of Sydney for Bangkok and was offered an upgrade to Business for $100. Needless to say he took them up on it
buffegg likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I flew MEL-HKG yesterday and economy loadings were very high while Business not so. (J7 D7 I7 Y7 B0...).

I was offered an upgrade to business class for points on check-in. (I declined as it was a day flight and I had a bulkhead). I did not ask how many points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.