Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

New Virgin Thought Bubble - "make us a cash offer to upgrade your flight"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Virgin Thought Bubble - "make us a cash offer to upgrade your flight"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Interesting

So a while back I put in a NZD$400 bid for an upgrade SYD-LAX on 07/11/14 - at the bottom of the 'poor' indicator. At the time the minimum bid was NZD$350. A few months later I logged back into modify the upgrade and I see that the minimum bid is now NZD$450 - but my offer of $NZD400 is still there. Received an email on 31/10/14 advising upgrade was under review. Haven't heard anything but today when I logged in again to modify the upgrade, I see that my NZD$400 bid is now showing as 'fair', and at the top of the 'fair' segment too. I haven't seen this occur at NZ with their OneUp, but am assuming that this has something to do with the light load of VA1 (well light Y load in any case - I see only 4 free seats on PE on EF) on 07/11. Will update when I get the accept or reject email.

Received an email today at T-23 hours that upgrade unsuccessful

Last edited by NZ_Flyer; Nov 5, 2014 at 5:54 pm
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Does "thought bubble" in this context actually mean "idea" or just "thought"?

A thought bubble is a visual device used in comic strips:

I'm not as familiar with the website as you are, but I've never seen any thought bubbles on the Virgin website...
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:17 pm

Is it possible to bid on an upgrade from a saver economy fare to business, or are the saver economy tickets not upgradable at all? I'm looking at a trip next year SAN>BNE and SYD>SAN (through LAX). Of course I'd only want to upgrade the LAX segments.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Did this upgrade offer for LAX BNE PE to J Class, credit card was charged 750.00 for the upgrade and was turned down for it, Virgin are keeping the 750.00 fee saying it part of the terms..Um dodgy or what?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by rosscoeau
Did this upgrade offer for LAX BNE PE to J Class, credit card was charged 750.00 for the upgrade and was turned down for it, Virgin are keeping the 750.00 fee saying it part of the terms..Um dodgy or what?
That shouldn't be right. Can you please clarify who said they are keeping the money and the exact circumstances of the bid?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
My annual Aussie business trip is coming up, and this time my internal flights are MEL - OOL and BNE-MEL, both on VX.

I got the offer to bid for an upgrade MEL-OOL today. Has anyone successfully bid for such an upgrade?

Last year I bid the minimum but got turned down, and the entire J cabin on my SYD-BNE flight was empty. You can see my post upthread.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Of course you'll never find J award availability on VX on those sectors. Try searching an airline that actually operates those sectors.

Dave

Last edited by thadocta; Apr 16, 2015 at 2:30 pm
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thadocta
Of course you'll never find J award availability on VX on those sectors. Try searching an airline that actually pperates those sectors.

Dave
Perhaps I mispoke, but VX is trying to sell me an upgrade MEL-OOL to their front cabin. Perhaps it's not biz (J), but some other classification, but it is real (or at least the seats are built into their 737-800s).

As I mentioned, last year I bid money on this upgrade and was turned down. so perhaps they simply don't offer the service even though the plane has the seats?

Any clarifications from the VX experts will be appreciated.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:30 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by transportprof
Perhaps I mispoke, but VX is trying to sell me an upgrade MEL-OOL to their front cabin. Perhaps it's not biz (J), but some other classification, but it is real (or at least the seats are built into their 737-800s).

As I mentioned, last year I bid money on this upgrade and was turned down. so perhaps they simply don't offer the service even though the plane has the seats?

Any clarifications from the VX experts will be appreciated.
Try asking VX (Virgin America) when they will be starting services on these routes. This is the VA (Virgin Australia) forum.

Dave
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Upgrademe success

Originally Posted by transportprof
Has anyone successfully bid for such an upgrade?
Yes, a couple of times, MEL-SYD as I felt confident that's the flight I wanted to take. I was successful both times even though I bid the absolute minimum amount. I've no idea how they weigh status (I'm a Platinum) against $$ - if they do at all.

Usually I don't bid as I'd rather pay the extra for a fare where I'll get status credits/points and you don't get those on UpgradeMe bids. Alternatively I buy the cheapest fare on the day I want to travel whatever the time (provided it's the latest possible time I could travel) and then rock up at the airport whenever I'm ready and ask for a Next Available Flight.

By the way even though I don't check any luggage in I find the operators at check-in more accommodating than the ones in the Lounge itself for changing flights. Brisbane I find to be particularly so.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: Qantas
So - if you pay "upgrademe" and you get upgraded YOU DONT get the SC/Points at the upgraded rate?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold
Originally Posted by user29
So - if you pay "upgrademe" and you get upgraded YOU DONT get the SC/Points at the upgraded rate?
Correct. You earn based on your original fare purchased. I believe this is the case with most (if not all) airlines that offer the ability to upgrade using points, cash, certificates, etc.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by kraftdinner_
Correct. You earn based on your original fare purchased. I believe this is the case with most (if not all) airlines that offer the ability to upgrade using points, cash, certificates, etc.
I had heard TG give you the upgraded class earning rate IF you've paid for a stand-by upgrade at the airport. VA definitely don't and say so explicitly
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold
Originally Posted by RTWFF
I had heard TG give you the upgraded class earning rate IF you've paid for a stand-by upgrade at the airport. VA definitely don't and say so explicitly
TG also explicitly says you earn based on fare class purchased - llisted here in clause 9

SQ doesn't have a paid upgrade program, so when you ask to "upgrade" at the airport, the "fee" is the difference between your fare and the business class fare, so in that case you would earn miles at a J rate. But then you've essentially purchased a J fare, so it makes sense. That's the closest thing I can think of to earn more miles on an "upgrade"
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:05 am

Anyone has got a successful min bid for MEL-SYD? I am keen on the this leg. But have 5 passengers on board this leg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.