Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

EWR > LHR changed from 787-9 to old A330-300. How bad is that?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster

My family has 5 UC reward flights on EWR > LHR booked through VX many moons ago before the Jet Blue/Alaska fun. We booked that specific flight because it was on a 787-9. Over the past few months, its changed from a 797-9 to a retrofitted A330-300 to an old A330-300.

I think that I booked VS best aircraft and have ended up with their worst.

Should I be worried? I need to level-set my sister's expectations and I don't know what to say. I'm absolutely taken aback from reading the seatguru reviews of this aircraft.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I don't think you need to be worried at all.

The 'dream suite' on the 'old' A330 might not be the best J class seat but it's by no means the worst on the market.

Seat Guru 'reviews' should be taken with a very large pinch of salt as they are often simply wrong.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by barbja99
My family has 5 UC reward flights on EWR > LHR booked through VX many moons ago before the Jet Blue/Alaska fun. We booked that specific flight because it was on a 787-9. Over the past few months, its changed from a 797-9 to a retrofitted A330-300 to an old A330-300.

I think that I booked VS best aircraft and have ended up with their worst.

Should I be worried? I need to level-set my sister's expectations and I don't know what to say. I'm absolutely taken aback from reading the seatguru reviews of this aircraft.
Ignore seatguru reviews. Half of the time they don't even refer to the correct aircraft type or are rants about broken seats that can happen on any plane, even 787s. If the IFE doesn't work, you watch movies on a tablet and get a bunch of bonus miles...

Unfortunately you can never count on a specific aircraft type when booking far in advance.

I've never found a huge variability in VS Upper Class hard product. What will make all of the difference is the quality of your crew - and aircraft type is irrelevant for that.

The only expectations to be managed are that VS Upper Class will be better than all but the very latest J product offered by the North American carriers.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
It's really not that different. Virgin's UC product isn't the best either way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.