Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to use up miles before they expire

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin, BA
Best way to use up miles before they expire

My husband has 40,000 and I have 24,000. Miles are due to expire early November. Wondering what people would suggest is the best way for us to use them, as we don't have plans to fly with Virgin any time soon. Was thinking Eurostar (but we only travel Standard Premier class - not sure we can use for that?). Ideally would like an option where we don't have to decide exactly how we'll use them right now, so we have time to plan. But if our hand is forced then we could make a decision (just really busy at work at the mo!).

Thoughts greatly appreciated please.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:55 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

If you look back in the forum or do a search, there are lots of threads about orphaned miles.

I have no experience of Eurostar redemptions, but you can also convert them to hotel points (IHG or Hilton).

You will also find it is very easy to extend the life of the miles for another three years by buying the right sort of very cheap Virgin Trains tickets, (you don't even have to use them, from what I have read), or using the Virgin Atlantic 'Shops Away' portal - http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...hops-away.html

Nick
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Nick is correct regarding the train tickets. It's a great way to extend your mileage expiry. I regularly buy first class tickets on the west coast mainline and not use them, and the miles still credit on or around the day of travel. I don't do it for the tiny mileage gain, sometimes things just change last minute.

As far as I am aware you can earn miles on all types of fares for standard and first. Just go online and buy a £5 ticket for somewhere and presto, it should work.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Another vote for the train ticket option from me. Just be sure to pick a travel date that's soon, don't go buying an advance saver as the miles won't post until the day of travel.

The shops away option may not work for you as miles can take up to a month to track and post to you account and if you say they expire, "early November" you don't have time to wait.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You could both just buy some miles and that would extend them by 3 years.

Isn't there a bonus miles offer for just downloading the shops away portal/app/plugsin? If so they should post fairly quickly.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If based in the UK, you can also convert 2.50 in Tesco clubcard vouchers.

As mentioned, don't waste the miles, just do some kind of activity to keep your accounts active.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.