Search

AA versus VA

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 3:10 am
ffj
Original Poster

Programs: AA, ExPlat, DL Sil, UAL Sil, Hilt Dia, Marr Plat
AA versus Virgin Atlantic

Am an Executive Platinum with AA. Need to fly to UK, and the fares from ORD to UK on VAtlantic are low enough to give it a thought. What are the good, bad, and ugly of flying VA, versus sticking with my perks on AA? Do not expect high elite service. Some basic information would be nice, like do they charge for carryon bags, are they part of the ARC agreement, and so forth.

Last edited by ffj; May 13, 2015 at 11:03 am
Old May 13, 2015, 9:38 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Welcome to the Virgin Atlantic (VS) forum. ^

What is an EP with AA? What perks does it give?
What class do you intend flying in?

If you can give us a clue about the above two questions, it may be easier to comment on what level of service you can expect versus the level of perks you are used to.

You may also wish to change the title of your thread, as VA is Virgin Australia.

If you can't change it, drop me a PM and I will gladly do it for you.

Nick
Old May 13, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
EP = Executive Platinum, which I believe on AA transatlantic gives you access to the AA First lounge at LHR for example, whereas no status on VS in economy = no lounge ... but Nick's questions are still relevant.

If you're travelling in Y surely you'd want to stick with AA for the possibility of an upgrade, free bags, lounge access etc.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's a no brainer to stick with elite status rather than trying something new, particularly in Y. Extra legroom seat, double miles, lounge access, chance of upgrade.

VS don't charge for carry-on luggage but European airlines make a much bigger deal about carry-ons being the correct size, particularly in Y. (no massive suit carriers, etc.)

VS do a good job of marketing, but their Y cabin and service is no better than any other carrier's.
Old May 18, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by craigthemif
VS do a good job of marketing, but their Y cabin and service is no better than any other carrier's.
And one could argue that VS's is worse than many others in Y, in terms of seat width, leg room etc
Old May 19, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by StingWest
And one could argue that VS's is worse than many others in Y, in terms of seat width, leg room etc
They have recently improved the Y offering with hot towels, better quality entrees, cheese & crackers, miniature spirits, individual wine bottles and choccies to go with the hot choc service...

It certainly rates miles above what BA offer in Y if you consider both carriers Y seating is pretty similar.
Old May 24, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by slinky09
EP = Executive Platinum, which I believe on AA transatlantic gives you access to the AA First lounge at LHR for example, whereas no status on VS in economy = no lounge ... but Nick's questions are still relevant.

If you're travelling in Y surely you'd want to stick with AA for the possibility of an upgrade, free bags, lounge access etc.
Even without an upgrade, the OP's EXP status entitles him to select Main Cabin Extra (MCE) seats, which feature greater pitch than AA's standard Coach seats. That's no small matter on a TATL flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.