Wiki Posts
Search

Buying up to MCS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Buying up to MCS

I just booked a flight on AS using Miles + Money for my ticket. (This is all within 24 hours for the record) I just looked at the difference between Main Cabin and MCS and the cost is 30$ on VX.com. Would I be able to call VX and pay the fare difference to get MCS or would this not work since I used miles and money/booked with Alaska?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Probably not since you booked with Alaska. If you checkin on VX you might be able to do it online at T-24 or at the airport though.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

The agent said that my itinerary had a "minimum changes allowed" or something of that sort on it. Even tried getting a three way call between AS and VX, but they said at this point it wasn't possible as I assumed, I guess i'll try at T-24, but considering this is a flight in late December hopefully by then I can upgrade automatically.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Too bad they don't want our money, but they encourage us to book through Alaska if we are Mileage Plan members?!
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I know it does not help with AS Elite members without VX elite status, but my rule has been book VX on VX, fly on VX FF#, I do the inverse with AS.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
You can pay the upgrade price at T-24, or if you are an AS elite, can request a free upgrade at the airport. VX has allowed this (fee based UG) for codeshare partners for quite a while.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:26 pm

No you cannot. I just book a VX flight on Alaska website. Although I was given VX reference #, I went to Virgin website and I was only allowed to pay for "preferred" seats, not able to buy up to main cabin extra. I then cancelled my reservation.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brettsir
You can pay the upgrade price at T-24, or if you are an AS elite, can request a free upgrade at the airport. VX has allowed this (fee based UG) for codeshare partners for quite a while.
I have status with AS, so I am eligible for the upgrade, but the issue is the fare difference is $10, so to get the assurance of having a better seat versus waiting until T-24 to see if there are any seats in MCS for $10 is worth it
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
doesn't AS allow free changes or cancellations outside of 60 days? Could you change or cancel and rebook into the MCS fare?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:20 pm

I don't think AS website shows VX's MSC Fare. Only Economy and FC fares.

Originally Posted by SFGuy37
doesn't AS allow free changes or cancellations outside of 60 days? Could you change or cancel and rebook into the MCS fare?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by naoh853
I don't think AS website shows VX's MSC Fare. Only Economy and FC fares.
Then cancel the AS booking and rebook on vx.com
[Edit -just realized OP booking using AS miles + money so that may not be an option for him]
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
this was a Miles + money booking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.