Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari
I'm curious though, how does VX know you have AS status when you call them to give you preferred seats?
Honestly, I think they are really just taking people's word for it until their systems are set up to identify AS elite status....I can understand why it may not be very high on the priority list since eventually it's all going to be folded into the Alaska system.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Honestly, I think they are really just taking people's word for it until their systems are set up to identify AS elite status....I can understand why it may not be very high on the priority list since eventually it's all going to be folded into the Alaska system.
I think they are just taking peoples' word for it. On my first VX flight, I asked the GA what zone AS MVP Golds boarded. He said zone 1 and as I started to dig out my card, he said don't bother. I asked him how he would know I was Gold and he said they just take our word for it.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I confirmed with Alaska Airlines that elites can now select preferred economy seats and are eligible for Main Cabin Select upgrades — for now you’ll need to call in to Alaska to be assigned these premium seats, but online selection will be live on Thursday, August 24. Meanwhile, Alaska plans to inform elites of the change next Wednesday, August 30.

Ok, it's Thursday. Checked an upcoming VX rez and the VX website still wants to charge for Preferred seats. This was booked without an AS PNR but on a lark, tried entering the VX PNR on AS.com and of course it wasn't recognized.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Ok, it's Thursday. Checked an upcoming VX rez and the VX website still wants to charge for Preferred seats. This was booked without an AS PNR but on a lark, tried entering the VX PNR on AS.com and of course it wasn't recognized.
Not seeing it here either on an VX flight booked on AS. Tried on the VX site and app, but still seeing an up charge. I guess technically they have until the end of the day or maybe the TPG date was off.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Not seeing it here either on an VX flight booked on AS. Tried on the VX site and app, but still seeing an up charge. I guess technically they have until the end of the day or maybe the TPG date was off.
Confirming the same. Hopeful that it changes soon.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:38 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Mod note: The thread title has been updated to reflect that AS elites are now able to obtain VX preferred seating and MCS upgrades. This has beee confirmed by several members, and I was able to move an AS elite to a VX preferred seat and put her on the MCS upgrade waitlist. The process is available by phone now and it has been reported that it will be available online soon.

dayone, AS/VX Moderator
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I am not even able to see the seat map on the AS site I get a blank screen and the following message:

"Specific seat assignments aren't available right now. Choose your seat when checking in for your flight, or ask a customer service agent to assign you a seat when you arrive at the airport."

Either they are in the process of publishing the seat map accordingly to allow for the entire plane to be selectable, or they've crashed the system.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by safari ari
I am not even able to see the seat map on the AS site I get a blank screen and the following message:

"Specific seat assignments aren't available right now. Choose your seat when checking in for your flight, or ask a customer service agent to assign you a seat when you arrive at the airport."

Either they are in the process of publishing the seat map accordingly to allow for the entire plane to be selectable, or they've crashed the system.
Probably all free seats taken. Cant do it on AS site. My reservation had a link to Virgin site to select preferred seats. Right now is call in only benefit, not released online yet.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, I just talked with VX Twitter and it sounds like for MCS upgrades it really is like an old fashioned horse race....call VX (not AS) at T-24 before your flight to "opt in" for the upgrade...it doesn't sound like anything is going to be "automatic" when it comes to seating on VX. Contrary to TPG blog referenced earlier in this thread, they specifically said that you must also call VX for preferred seating....no online seat selection is available if you want the preferred seat fees waived. Since folks have been reporting the ability to get preferred seats and even MCS upgrades for awhile now, I honestly don't think there has been any changes from a technological standpoint....it's just offical now...call VX and if you convince them that you are an AS elite, you can get better seating.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:24 pm

Ok, I just talked with VX Twitter and it sounds like for MCS upgrades it really is like an old fashioned horse race....call VX (not AS) at T-24 before your flight to "opt in" for the upgrade...it doesn't sound like anything is going to be "automatic" when it comes to seating on VX.
I was able to put my friend on the MCS auto-upgrade list (allegedly). If that works as advertised, the MCS upgrade should be automatic at T-24, if upgrade space is available. I'll know if that happens tomorrow evening.

As a reminder, MCS upgrade inventory is not last-seat. A few seats are held, and are released at the gate.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Thanks PDXPremier for spelling out which one to call! Very helpful!^^

My own experience: After the VX phone rep moved me to Preferred seating, she mentioned that she could see my MP# but not that I was Gold so I would avoid the seat charges. She ended up blanking out my MP# and reentering, then said it was now showing me as Gold (note that the website doesn't show me anything different and the app still wants to charge for Preferred seats if I wanted to move again). The good news is I'm now in a slightly better seat, and despite my skepticism, AS has delivered as promised by the end of Summer 2017.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
My own experience: After the VX phone rep moved me to Preferred seating, she mentioned that she could see my MP# but not that I was Gold so I would avoid the seat charges. She ended up blanking out my MP# and reentering, then said it was now showing me as Gold
On my last two VX-booked flights, VX gate agent could see AS Gold status and Gold printed on my BP.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
I was able to put my friend on the MCS auto-upgrade list (allegedly). If that works as advertised, the MCS upgrade should be automatic at T-24, if upgrade space is available. I'll know if that happens tomorrow evening.

As a reminder, MCS upgrade inventory is not last-seat. A few seats are held, and are released at the gate.
Unlike AS, VX is very clear about the fact that if you're on the MCS automatic upgrade list, there is a possibility that you could be moved to a middle seat so it sounds like a lot VX elites stay off the automatic upgrade list and just call at T-24 to see if there are any window/aisle MCS seats available. At some point when MCS evolves into the AS version of premium economy, I would guess they will follow the AS system that won't automatically upgrade you into a middle seat.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Preferred seat selection seems to be working for me now on the VX site. No charge for me (MVP) although there is a charge for the person travelling with me (No Status). Means that I don't get the very front, but decent location by putting myself on the window and the companion in a no charge middle.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:29 pm

Unlike AS, VX is very clear about the fact that if you're on the MCS automatic upgrade list, there is a possibility that you could be moved to a middle seat so it sounds like a lot VX elites stay off the automatic upgrade list and just call at T-24 to see if there are any window/aisle MCS seats available.
MCS was very lightly booked when I checked and her flight is in two days, so I thought the auto-upgrade list was a good bet. We'll see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.