Cuban cigars into USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cuban cigars into USA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Whenever I've purchased cubans and brought them back all I've had to do is remove the labels. Without the labels, customs has no idea whether they are cuban, dominican or american - therefore they CAN'T take them.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:42 am

Programs: DL,HH Gold,SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Omni SG
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Whenever I've purchased cubans and brought them back all I've had to do is remove the labels. Without the labels, customs has no idea whether they are cuban, dominican or american - therefore they CAN'T take them.
As long as you also make sure to change the box!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I brought a single Cuban cigar for a buddy who smokes. I buried it in my suitcase and it never came up. He quite enjoyed it.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
U.S. Customs may or may not be able to tell the cigar's origin. But I would think Agriculture could give it a good shot.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Was considering getting them duty free, therefore hand luggage

I'll give it a shot, and just play the dumb foreigner card, I cant remember if it mentions Cuban goods on the customs declaration...

Anyone know if IAD has an x ray machine?

Oh, and even if the TSA find them on my connection, they cant remove them can they??
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
Let's just say that I know someone who gets them all the time. This person says they are the smoothest cigar they have ever smoked. This person considers himself an afficianado.
"Forbidden fruit a flavor has
That lawful orchards mocks;
How luscious lies the pea within
The pod that Duty locks!"

-Emily Dickinson
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've heard this before, but just to play devil's advocate...if I were a Customs agent and I saw a bunch of labelless cigars, I'm immediately going to know what they are and why someone removed the labels. I mean, it's not like I immediately sit down and peel off the labels after I buy a box of Dominicans.

And since Customs agents can pretty well do what they please when it comes to confiscating questionable products, it seems like they'd still toss your labelless stogies in the trash and tell you to pound sand. Want to file a protest? OK, let's go over to this windowless back room and have a more detailed chat about these cigars. I could see Customs taking the stance that since you peeled off the labels, you knew they were contraband - in other words, they might toss the cigars and assess a fine.

I've brought back Cubans before - I used to fly back and forth between LHR and ORD quite a bit right after college - I just tossed a few in my luggage and figured if I got busted I'd just shrug and give up the cigars. That never happened.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by indyscott
"Forbidden fruit a flavor has
That lawful orchards mocks;
How luscious lies the pea within
The pod that Duty locks!"

-Emily Dickinson
You all seem to forget that they are legal and in extremely high demand everywhere else (unlike Domincan premium cigars which nobody wants).

FWIW, you can order them over the phone from Europe very easily. They'll fedex them and send the box and bands seperately.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by erik123
You all seem to forget that they are legal and in extremely high demand everywhere else (unlike Domincan premium cigars which nobody wants).
I don't know...I have smoked them in Europe and Canada, and it's really no big deal. I didn't notice a shortage or excessive prices for Cuban cigars. (Of course, I wasn't smoking anything super-premium...)
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by aceman
Anyone know if IAD has an x ray machine?
fly into ORD; even if you bring a cow back, they wont know.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've heard this before, but just to play devil's advocate...if I were a Customs agent and I saw a bunch of labelless cigars, I'm immediately going to know what they are and why someone removed the labels. I mean, it's not like I immediately sit down and peel off the labels after I buy a box of Dominicans.

And since Customs agents can pretty well do what they please when it comes to confiscating questionable products, it seems like they'd still toss your labelless stogies in the trash and tell you to pound sand. Want to file a protest? OK, let's go over to this windowless back room and have a more detailed chat about these cigars. I could see Customs taking the stance that since you peeled off the labels, you knew they were contraband - in other words, they might toss the cigars and assess a fine.

I've brought back Cubans before - I used to fly back and forth between LHR and ORD quite a bit right after college - I just tossed a few in my luggage and figured if I got busted I'd just shrug and give up the cigars. That never happened.
If you're a regular cigar smoker, why not start collecting the labels from legal in the US cigars? Then just make sure you get the same diameter cigars and replace the labels before importing...
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped

Just take the bands and packaging off and mail them to yourself at home regular mail.

And for the customs guys? These are handmade cigars. I bought them from the guy that rolled them in XX country. It was a little craft fair where people made homemade food, pottery, cigars, etc.

If you're comfortable with that. If not don't smuggle. It's not hard though, just say they aren't branded because they're homemade, if that's the situation you find yourself in.

It's not worth worrying about though, it would never get that far. Tens of thousands of cubans come in off duty free shops and similar every day and nobody really cares about personal use.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
fwiw, i have bought 'n brought and have had bought 'n brought for me cubans as follows....

me: i purchased a box in paris (once at a local cigar shop as even with the taxes, the dollar was still somewhat strong [remember those days? ]) and once duty free at cdg. in both cases, i just put the box between my clothes on my wheel-aboard. i cleared customs at ord (trip 1) and iad mid-field-ua (trip2) and never had a problem (as well as the 16 bottles of wine in my wheel-aboard on trip1 but i digress). just checked of nothing to declare-i guess i must look honest

the second time was when goalie-parents went to cuba a year and a half ago as part of an "educational group" . they bought me a box and they didn't have a problem either when they cleared customs at mia.

also, fwiw, trip1 for me was pre-9/11 and trip2 as well as goalie-parents' trip to cuba was post-9/11
Old Mar 15, 2007, 4:55 pm
In memoriam

IMHO everyone interested in this area should view the Seinfeld episode where Kramer brings in some Cubans. But, they turn out to be real Cubans, not cigars.

By the way, I tried a cigar Cuban in Denmark many years ago. It made me sick. Fortunately, a nice Dane nursed me back to health with some health giving beer. ^ Never smoked a cigar since.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Or..you could bring some of the bands off your Dominicans and put them on the Cubans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.