FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cuban cigars into USA?
View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:51 pm
jabrams72

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've heard this before, but just to play devil's advocate...if I were a Customs agent and I saw a bunch of labelless cigars, I'm immediately going to know what they are and why someone removed the labels. I mean, it's not like I immediately sit down and peel off the labels after I buy a box of Dominicans.

And since Customs agents can pretty well do what they please when it comes to confiscating questionable products, it seems like they'd still toss your labelless stogies in the trash and tell you to pound sand. Want to file a protest? OK, let's go over to this windowless back room and have a more detailed chat about these cigars. I could see Customs taking the stance that since you peeled off the labels, you knew they were contraband - in other words, they might toss the cigars and assess a fine.

I've brought back Cubans before - I used to fly back and forth between LHR and ORD quite a bit right after college - I just tossed a few in my luggage and figured if I got busted I'd just shrug and give up the cigars. That never happened.
If you're a regular cigar smoker, why not start collecting the labels from legal in the US cigars? Then just make sure you get the same diameter cigars and replace the labels before importing...