Reload this Page >

Driving question - Chicagoland to Orange County, CA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving question - Chicagoland to Orange County, CA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:42 pm

Good luck on your move and drive. Moving and transferring was always exciting for me.

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; Aug 28, 2014 at 8:39 pm
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Let's reposition this discussion in the new USA destinations forum where the OP's query may get wider consideration.

essxjay, the OMNIs co-mod
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm looking for a route that is less mountainous. Southern route?
Are you wanting to make the drive as quickly as possible? Then any of the interstate options will be fine and get you there with dispatch.

If, though, you want to take it a bit more leisurely, are open to non-interstates, and interested in seeing some local sights then I've got several suggestions.

But it might help us all to know what sort of trip you'd like -- fast and interstate-intensive, or slower and more scenic?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:26 pm

Day 1 : Chicago to Tulsa
Day 2: Tulsa to Albuquerque
Day 3: Albuquerque to Kingman
Day 4: Kingman to Irvine

First two days are 600 approx miles each. Then it goes down from there. No time pressure. Seems like a doable routing. Really don't want to have to f' with the Rockies.
I've done a fair amount of work in N AZ (mostly on the Hopi Res.). On Day 3, you've got enough time for a detour, plus eastern AZ through Holbrook and Winslow is really dull. I'd recommend heading N at Gallup, then W shortly after (at Yah-Ta-Hey) and follow Hwy 264 through Window Rock, Keams Canyon, Second Mesa, all the way to Tuba City before turning south to rejoin the Interstate. Ethereal, mystical, occasionally breathtaking, and definitely enlightening. Along the way, get a double burger at the Motel/Restaurant at Second Mesa.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Any reason for the only 3-4 days? Years ago I drove across country form NY to LA via the North and down the West Coast for 23 days to get my friend to grad school. NY-CHI was the first night. A lot of driving in 1 day is boring and takes a toll on the body. We broke it up into a vacation even stopping in Spokane Washington to see some of my family after 4 days in Yellowstone on our way to Seattle before heading down the coast. I suggest making it into a bit of a vacation. Find a few sites a couple of hundred miles apart and let the good times roll.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Any particular reason you're looking for the dullest possible route?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Quote:

Any particular reason you're looking for the dullest possible route?
Just my preference
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:03 am

I've done similar many times. If you stick to interstates, driving I-70 west of Denver to Nevada will be the highlight. I-40 has less to offer unless you get off it from time to time.

If you pay attention to the landscape it changes radically as you head west, always getting drier and drier as the trees thin and shorten. It surprises me that people find long distance driving dull in the USA since there is always a lot going on visually even through the flattest bits (as opposed to say driving across Australia which is breaktakingly dull).
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Honestly a lot of this depends on the OP. Does he have time to do a nice roady trip with stops and some advneture or is he needing to get there ASAP?

Drive until you can't tolerate it, then find a place to spend the night.
I recently did a solo NC to WY over a short weekend. I did the drive until I needed a place to crash deal...problem is where I needed some sleep they were having some big ... quilting convention and every hotel for ~50 miles was booked solid.

Not a huge deal but was a bit of a pain.

Audiobooks are good for staying awake. You're brain is much more engaged than just listening to music.
I agree. Audio book are second only to having a real conversation IMO.

*while I get tired I don't get too sleepy behind the wheel. I'm the 2000 miles with 1 4 hour stop guy, I'm the lets drive 5 hours to denver, watch a broncos game then drive home that night guy. Friends love me when a roady is needed

Less mountains?!?!? that makes me sad its like saying I want to have less fun.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:42 pm

I'm surprised no one has suggested Route 66, the classic Chicago to LA road trip.

We've done a great deal of driving in the western U.S. I would most likely take the I-80/I-70 route as it's marginally the shortest and I'd want to get through the first part as quickly as possible. As suggested up thread, I would do the first part (until getting through Nebraska) as quickly as possible, and then take some time through Colorado and Utah to enjoy the scenery.

I would not miss a chance to get off the interstate and go through Valley of the Gods in southeastern Utah (south of Moab), as well as Bryce and Zion in southwestern Utah.

From Las Vegas, if you've never driven through Death Valley, it is also a fascinating trip.

Of course, it depends on how much time you want to take. The shortest distance as per Google maps is 29 hours of driving.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SusanDK
I'm surprised no one has suggested Route 66, the classic Chicago to LA road trip.
Well, the Route (66) doesn't officially exist anymore. And many segments of the old highway are in serious disrepair and/or are inaccessible (i.e., on private land that the states have surrendered to ROW).

But I agree. One can approximate that route with modern highways and see some interesting remnants of a bygone era.

I disagree with the poster who dissed Holbrook and Winslow. Both towns do have some interesting - if at times quirky - attractions. Petrified Forest National Park (East of Holbrook) features some classic southwestern landscapes. Holbrook has one of the few remaining incarnations of the Wigwam Motel and some life-sized dinosaur re-creations, not to mention what I believe is the only thoroughfare in the U.S. named "Bucket of Blood Street". Winslow has both the Standin' on the Corner Park (for Eagles fans) and the beautifully restored La Posada Hotel. West of Winslow, there are two ghost towns located at the Two Guns exit. The ruins of Two Guns itself are just south of the exit. About a mile north (on a rough dirt road) are the ruins of Canyon Diablo, a boom and bust old West town that is famed for being one of the roughest towns to ever exist in N. America. (The first town marshall was killed within an hour of being sworn in.)

Regarding the suggested Gallup - NM/AZ 264 detour. There's currently some major construction work on AZ 264 between Window Rock and Ganado. Expect delays. If you choose this route, check out the Navajo Nation Museum in Window Rock and Hubbell Trading Post in Ganado. The burger in Second Mesa isn't bad, but beware that if you miss that place there's very little in the way of food, gasoline, bathrooms, etc. until Moenkopi. Just past Tuba City, the "Dinosaur Tracks" are a fascinating ad hoc roadside attraction. Locals sell arts & crafts there and are willing (even eager!) to take one on an impromptu tour pointing out the various dinosaur tracks. Or one can explore them on ones own. Once in Cameron, might as well drive through the South Rim of the G.C. as well before rejoining I-40 in Williams.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by kale73
Well, the Route (66) doesn't officially exist anymore.
While it is no longer marked on the maps, it is still possible to follow most of Route 66 between Chicago and Los Angeles.

Here are a couple of resources:
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
While the I-70 is the most mountainous of the three possible interstate routings (crossing the Rockies in the middle of Colorado and some major ranges in Utah), another Northern route, I-80 to Salt Lake City and then I-15 through Las Vegas is actually shorter than most of the other all Interstate routings.....and does not have any major/long mountain stretches. I-80 also has some of the nicest rest areas through Nebraska and Wyoming.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
While it is no longer marked on the maps, it is still possible to follow most of Route 66 between Chicago and Los Angeles.

Here are a couple of resources:
I live about 19 miles North of Old Hwy 66 in Chambers, Arizona. An 8-mile section of the old road is an I-40 frontage road running East from Chambers to Sanders, where it disappears for awhile. There's no way to take Hwy 66 to the West - at least as far as Petrified Forest N.P. - without trespassing on private property. I know. I've tried.

Many miles of the old road between Albuquerque and Flagstaff are either gone (I-40 was built right on top) or in such disrepair that driving on it is hazardous. The major exceptions are, of course, through those urban areas where the Mother Road was "Main Street": Albuquerque, Grants, Gallup, Holbrook, Winslow and Flag. West of Flag, one can still travel the "old road" up to Peach Springs and thru to Kingman (I've traveled this route twice). What I have not yet done is the Kingman to Oatman section, which allegedly has some of the steepest grades and switchbacks on Old 66.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:24 am

Day 1 : Chicago to Tulsa
Day 2: Tulsa to Albuquerque
Day 3: Albuquerque to Kingman
Day 4: Kingman to Irvine

First two days are 600 approx miles each. Then it goes down from there. No time pressure. Seems like a doable routing. Really don't want to have to f' with the Rockies.
That's an idea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.