Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving the old Route 66 from California to Chicago - How long? What to see/do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

I know that route 66 does not exist anymore, but is it passable in some parts? I wanna go for a road trip from Chicago to L.A. and I would like to take a legendary route 66 or at least some other routes that replaced it. And is it possible to make it within 2 weeks while making stops for sightseeing, meeting new people, hiking etc?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:26 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Yes, it is possible

This website (which is currently down, I hope not permanently!) http://www.historic66.com/ has an incredible collection of resources and detailed turn-by-turn directions.

Some stretches I'd personally recommend:

Far western Arizona, from crossing the Colorado River to Kingman. Takes you through some incredible scenery, the old mining town of Oatman.

Then, Kingman to Williams AZ is a step back in time. Lots of nicely preserved and some not-so-nicely preserved motor courts and retail from that era. Now a very local road.

There have been three (iirc) different routings of 66 between Tucumcari (sp?) NM and Albuquerque. These would be worth looking into. The old 66 through Tucumcari is a classic of dozens of western towns with dozens of old motor courts and a town that seems 8 miles long and 4 blocks wide.

Through the northern edges of the Ozarks in Missouri there are often some stretches of the old 66 (in some cases 2 or 3 iterations!) paralleling I44. These are fun to dip in and out of and you would never know you're so close to the interstate.

Two weeks would be plenty, and I'd concentrate my time on Arizona and New Mexico.

<mod hat on -- since this spans several geographic forums, I'm going to move to Travel Buzz from the California forum. cblaisd, Senior Moderator. mod hat off>
Old Jun 9, 2010, 5:07 am

Nearly all of it is driveable, I've driven about half of the route myself, Joplin - west of OKC, the section in L.A. metro, and Flagstaff - east of Amarillo.

The route 66 guidebook by Tom Snyder is also an excellent resource, and I'd pick up the various free flyers and guides available locally at the motel or nearby chamber of commerce that you're staying at.

See it while you can, every year, another motel or building or sign disappears. Two weeks is plenty, but if you're taking side trips to Santa Fe or the Grand Canyon or Vegas, I'd allow some more time.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:32 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It is a great road to drive but amenities are sparse in many places .... it is more ghost town than thriving tourist attraction. Of course that is part of the allure. The AZ section is really stunning, well worth the drive as long as you are self contained.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:41 am

I did this back in 2002 when I moved from the Midwest to California.

I did it in 7 days which allowed me to spend a little bit of time at a bunch of places along the way, but it would have been much better to have longer. But then again, I tried to stay on the actual original road as much as possible which meant going 45mph on a frontage road right next to a major highway for much of Oklahoma and Missouri.

I used the Tom Snyder book also and would definitely recommend it as a resource. Some of it might be a little dated now (as far as structures or establishments that are still around), unless there's been a new edition.

I would also highly recommend making sure you head through Oatman (watch out for the wild burros while you are driving!). Arizona and New Mexico are great for natural attractions, and Illinois and Missouri are good for old-timey Route 66 diners/motels/gas stations, etc.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I drove several sections in New Mexico during the three years that one of my sons lived in Albuquerque. Parts of it are fascinating.

Take advantage of resources like those posted earlier in this thread. Route 66 has attracted many history buffs over the years. There's a lot of information on it out there, not hard to find. You'll find more in the form of free tourist handouts when you get there, but that doesn't help for planning.

As for hiking: a whole separate topic. There are lots of good places for it along the route. Which ones you want depends on the season.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
I've been on parts -- it's pretty cool for a little while but I can't even imagine doing the entire stretch. Good luck! A few places to hit:

Wigwams in Holbrook, AZ -- definitely stay overnight here
Joe & Aggie's Cafe in Holbrook, AZ -- have a meal here
Ted Drew's Frozen Custard in St. Louis (pick up some doughnuts at the shops around here as well)
Ariston Cafe, Litchfield, IL -- have a meal here
HeavenlyJane likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
Also highly recommend La Posada - the restored old Harvey House - in Winslow. Designed by Mary Colter, who did a lot of the notable work in the Grand Canyon, and was designed around a rich, fictional story - not unlike what the Disney people now try to do with their attractions.

Stay, eat, or just look around - but be sure to stop.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:14 am

Must read: Road Trip USA ^
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:27 am

For the most part, what replaced Route 66 are large interstate highways. Not very special. What time of year you go is critical. I certainly wouldn't shape a vacation around finding leftover bits of Hwy. 66 (just to say you've been there? I've yet to see any bit that's particuarly interesting, apart from some signs alluding to 66), since there are so many much more scenic routes (e.g., I-70, I-80 and several others). And if you're going in the summer, the southern route would be even less appealing to me in comparison to more northern routes (e.g., seeing the mountains of Colorado and the national parks of Utah and perhaps the North Rim of the Grand Canyon). But if you're going in the winter, then a southern route becomes more attractive, to avoid snow, ice, etc. And if you can find bits of Route 66 along the way, why not take advantage of that? Route 66 has a somewhat mystical lore and appeal to many people, both in the U.S. and abroad, but for the most part it's something of the past. It's not like you find yourself transported, even figuratively, into the past days, made famous in the song and the TV series "Route 66." As the group Steely Dan sang, in the song "Pretzel Logic," "those days are gone forever, over a long time ago." But, yes, 2 weeks should allow plenty of time for sightseeing, no matter what route you take.

Last edited by SoCal; Jun 9, 2010 at 8:33 am
Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:54 am
Original Poster

I wanna go this summer, by the end of July and beginning of August. Maybe it's silly, but I'm in USA for one year only and I want that road trip to be unforgettable adventure and I was thinking is there any car rental that rents old school classic american cars? Thank you so much for your help.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The novelty of the old Route 66 isn't for everyone. You'll drive through a lot of dusty, small, old towns that are either now dead or survive only by selling badly faded dreams to tourists in search of the mythic past. Yes, you may make some personal connections along the way, but honestly you can do that almost anywhere, if you know how.

I suggest deciding on a half dozen or so places you'd like to see and planning a route that connects through them. You mentioned hiking.... You could take a route through the Colorado Rockies and Utah's stunning Red Rocks country, visiting national parks such as Rocky Mountain, Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, etc. In California, see if your schedule will permit visits to places like Kings Canyon, Sequoia, and Yosemite. Or just drive Route 2 through the Angels Crest, drop down into LA, and finish up your drive along Santa Monica Boulevard until you reach the Pacific -- the literal far end of Route 66.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by efce
I wanna go this summer, by the end of July and beginning of August. Maybe it's silly, but I'm in USA for one year only and I want that road trip to be unforgettable adventure and I was thinking is there any car rental that rents old school classic american cars? Thank you so much for your help.
My personal suggestion is for you rethink your ideas on an unforgettable vacation. There are a few places that rent classic older cars, but they tend to be very, very expensive and require a roundtrip rental. Some major car rental companies, such as Hertz rent vehicles such as Mustangs and Camaros, but they are NOT the same as the classic cars of the past. And they won't always guarantee a particular model car. A convertible would cost more, be more subject to damage (and theft) and may not be used all that much in the desert heat. If you want a great road trip, I'd focus on what you'd actually see, rather than the name of the highway that some (not all) parts of your route used to be. You give no real info about your interests. If you're looking for beautiful scenery, look into the routes I, and others, have suggested. There are many other options, as well (e.g., Yellowstone, Rocky Mountains N.P.). But I get the impression you are bound and determined to find parts of Route 66, despite the weather, tradeoffs on scenery, etc. Perhaps you could find some of the mentioned fragments in Illinois, etc., suggested by other posters, and then take a truly scenic route to L.A. If you really want some more of 66 once you get there, I know there are some signs saying Historic Route 66 in some places east of L.A. (e.g., Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga). Remember, at the time you are traveling, the desert will be hot. Good luck and happy trails.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for suggestions. I think you're right, though for me there is something magical about route 66, but I don't want to be disappointed, hence I'm gonna focus on places I want to see not the route itself. I guess I also have to give up classic american car, too bad, but I cannot afford it Thank you.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by efce
Thanks for suggestions. I think you're right, though for me there is something magical about route 66
The magic of Route 66 comes from neither the name nor the strip of pavement associated with it, but the uniquely American ability to jump in a car at a moment's notice, choose a route as you go, wind up 2000 miles away or more a few days later, and be completely unaccountable to anyone but yourself the entire time.

Songs have been sung about this.
Books have been written about it.
In the USA, we embody it in a single word idiom: "Roadtrip!!"

I guess I also have to give up classic american car, too bad, but I cannot afford it Thank you.
Classic cars aren't necessarily all that comfortable and they're prone to break down or at least require constant minor maintenance on long trips, compared to modern cars. I recommend that you spend up at least a little bit from the cheapest rental car. Get something bigger, so you have room to spread out during your trip, and with more power so you don't feel like it's a struggle to climb long mountain inclines. Consider a convertible. There's something classic about the wind in your hair, whether the car's from 1968 or 2010. But definitely evaluate this in light of the weather along your route -- driving a convertible in the sun and 100 degree heat all day gets tiresome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.