Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving the old Route 66 from California to Chicago - How long? What to see/do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving the old Route 66 from California to Chicago - How long? What to see/do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:44 pm

And if you actually make it to Illinois, avoid staying at the Route 66 Hotel & Museum (Springfield) at all costs.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 1:21 am

yes,...do it!

efce-- you've been getting some great information here.^
I have made this trip twice, once in July and once in August; and expect to do it several more times.
Research it all carefully, because there is just so much to see. Keep in mind that tourist attractions may well be only open from 9 to 5; so you've really gotta decide what you really want to see..
The first time I was on a very tight budget and I wound up driving an ugly gray rental Corolla; but the drive was such an adventure that it very soon didn't matter at all. In the mountains west of Kingman, AZ the nimble handling of that little car came in handy. The second time, I had a little more money and got a Lincoln Town Car(fully insured). I was on that same stretch of road, surprised by the performance of that Town Car, when I looked up as a truck was coming around a curve on my side of the white line! Ford quality brakes quickly stopped that Town Car straight as an arrow! Good thing; because I had no where to go but down that mountain's side. I couldn't even get mad about it, because it was just a part of my adventure.
In Oklahoma, I enjoyed the route66 museums; and the Sandhills Curiosity Shop in Erick.
In Texas, snapped a photo of the U Drop Inn at Shamrock, Tx. I always enjoy stopping at The Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillo. You'll likely see the Cadillac Ranch; as well as that very big cross! The Midpoint Cafe in Adrian is the halfway point for route66.
The first time I made the drive, I was lucky enough to stay in the Blue Swallow Inn in Tucumcari. This old place really cause me to stop and put me in a mind to remember the good people that I was lucky enough to have for grandparents...this was how they travelled in the days before Holiday Inn. I met many interesting people there, including one man from Japan who comes back every other year. New Mexico is a truly beautiful state. You will cross the Continental Divide! I enjoyed my visit and lunch at the El Rancho Hotel in Gallup, but would like to go back when I can spend a little more time.(beautiful jewlery there).
Arizona has alot to see and some good stretches on old route66. You might enjoy the Petrified Forest or Meteor Crater. Winslow has it's corner; and if you can afford it try to spend the night at La Posada! I had a great time one night at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff. West of Williams the old route66 gets good. Stop in Seligman at the SnowCap for an ice cream. Kingman has a fine route66 museum. They had something on display that I had not seen since I was a boy...a Studebaker with a window mounted air-conditioner! Cool Springs Cabins ain't renting cabins anymore; but it's a cool place to visit. Over the mountains to Oatman and on to California!!!
California likes to paint the historic US 66 emblem on the roadway. It's just paint on asphalt; but it gets ya.Cross the Mojave, unwind, and think of the millions who have crossed a lonely desert before you:-:. If it is still there, and if you've seen the movie; try to stop at the Bagdad Cafe in Newberry Springs. There's a Wigwam Motel outside of San Bernardino. Cruise on in on 66 to the Santa Monica Pier
Sure things change along the road...because life changes. But there's still life, the road, and adventure...but you'll never know it until you drive.

Happy trails to you.

Last edited by 4now; Jun 11, 2010 at 10:00 am
Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:40 am

I wonder if the old American TV series "Route 66," which aired from 1960 to 1964, is still shown on cable, etc. overseas. "Bonanza" is shown here (Fortaleza, Brazil) on the TMC channel of our satellite TV provider. The song, "Get Your Kicks on Route 66," predates the TV show, of course (writen in 1946 by Bobby Troup and made famous by Nat King Cole).
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Mr. July
Also highly recommend La Posada - the restored old Harvey House - in Winslow. Designed by Mary Colter, who did a lot of the notable work in the Grand Canyon, ... be sure to stop.
+1

Good rates, too.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay in a Wigwam Motel if you can:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigwam_Motel

I stayed at the one in Holbrook, AZ and it was an absolute blast.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Also checkout Roadside America for places to see along the way.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Get Your Kicks

East of Barstow where US-66 parallels I-40 in places, late at night you can stop and stargaze; or partake of your favorite leisure activity, right there in the middle of the road, with very little to fear in the way of of oncoming traffic.

Bring a blanket (but don't fall asleep).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.