Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need miles to keep account active -- QUICK!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT and climbing
Need miles to keep account active -- QUICK!!!

USAirways is getting smarter and I'm getting dumber.

Neglected my account since I moved from Philly but lucked into keeping it active every year thus far.

Have 30K miles in account.
Last activity date:10/1/07

If my math is right, I have 7-9 days to get this taken care of... PLEASE HELP!!!

Here's what they emailed me today:
"Reactivate your account now
We've noticed you've been inactive for 15 months or more. For a limited time, log in to your account before your miles are forfeited and reactivate your account for $40. You'll keep your miles active for another 18 months. This offer is valid through 04-29-2009. "

I did a search and can't find much info on what will post the quickest to keep my account alive. I already have a points.com account. Tried but can't sign up for another one...
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:48 pm

Programs: USAIR gold, HH diamond, SPG gold
If they gave you the date of 4/29, I would assume the miles are expiring on that date. Why don't you redeem miles for an award?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 4:44 am

I believe if you go to the USAir shopping site you can make an ITunes purchase for a dollar that will count as activity. I know my co-worker did that last year and it worked.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 4:55 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kranky
I believe if you go to the USAir shopping site you can make an ITunes purchase for a dollar that will count as activity. I know my co-worker did that last year and it worked.
Yes, that's correct. This is the least expensive way to keep your account active.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USPhilly
Yes, that's correct. This is the least expensive way to keep your account active.
But will that post before the 4/29 expiration ate they ahve given me???

Do the miles go by date of transaction or by the posting date?

As for booking a reward, there's nowhere I need a ticket for right now!!!

Thanks -- Looking for more suggestions that will get the miles posted by 4/29...
Old Apr 23, 2009, 5:24 am

Dividend Miles Dining

Buy 1000 miles (+250 bonus). Pricey, but effective

Last edited by Kohoutek; Apr 23, 2009 at 5:31 am Reason: added buy miles
Old Apr 23, 2009, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kohoutek
Dividend Miles Dining
My experience with AA is thatthey take about 10 days topost, isit any different with USAirways?

Originally Posted by Kohoutek
Buy 1000 miles (+250 bonus). Pricey, but effective
I'd almost rather just pay the $40 fee to keep them activated since I don't plan to fly USAirways much if at all in the future...
Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LotzOStuff
I did a search and can't find much info on what will post the quickest to keep my account alive. I already have a points.com account. Tried but can't sign up for another one...
Someone else has to have some help!!! There's got to be a better way than paying $40 cash, right???
Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Someone else has to have some help!!! There's got to be a better way than paying $40 cash, right???
How badly do you want to retain the miles? If you need them, then $40 isn't bad.

Do you really want to take a chance on an iTunes purchase or something else not posting in time?

Those are the questions that only you can answer.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus

My daughter's account was set to expire March 1. I tried buying iTunes, which has worked in the past, but USAir's technology seems completely incapable of such a simple transaction now (it worked for my other daughter, and I've tried 4 times since late Jan).

After reading a few other posts, I went out and signed her up at points.com. It was free and, more importantly, the 10 miles showed up instantly. The dreaded red triangle/yellow exclamation point and expiration warning is gone.

A lot cheaper than $40. Just be sure to enter the account and zip code correctly (I had to look mine up on usairways.com - it had my +4 zip so I had to go back to points.com and update it).
The iTunes miles for one daughter showed up a couple weeks later, but nother has ever appeared in the second account. Points.com is a one-time trick, but it sounds like this is the time to use it.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich

The iTunes miles for one daughter showed up a couple weeks later, but nother has ever appeared in the second account. Points.com is a one-time trick, but it sounds like this is the time to use it.
Like I said, already used the points.com trick in the past. Tried signing up for another account but it recognizes the DM#...

Oh well, spending $40 to keep a free RT ticket avaialable seems to make sense to me, if I have to...
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:57 pm

POINTS.COM perhaps.

I had a similar problem with Delta. I signed up for points.com and in 1 day I had 100 points added to my delta balance.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:04 pm

Your question of which date. Your DM account is tracked by transaction date not posting date.

You could also donate 1,000 miles to charity.
http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...natemiles.aspx
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Follow up -- resolution

USAirways is getting smarter and I'm getting dumber.
OK, maybe not as dumb or unlucky as I thought...

I went to make a purchase at the DM Mall today and my account said the miles had already expired. Another issue, but not sure why they were already inactive before 4/30/09 which would have been 18 months...

Anyway, here's what I found there:

Account Message
ATTENTION: Miles in your account have been forfeited due to inactivity. You can reinstate these miles by purchasing a ticket and flying at least one (1) leg of your itinerary on US Airways by 7/1/2009.

Please note: You may also reinstate these miles by earning miles with one of our credit cards, or by paying a reinstatement fee.

Mileage Forfeiture Details
Forfeited miles: XX,XXX
Date of Deletion: 10/1/2010

So, I applied and got approved for the USAirways Dividend Miles card. Lands me another 25K miles, reactivates my previous miles, and allows me to earn a few more with purchases to get me to a nice round number!!!

The way I see it, I got almost 55K miles for the $79 annual fee!!! I knwo that some of them were already mine, but let me be happy!!! That's 0.14 cents per mile (not 14 cpm) which looks like a solid deal to me and a great way to build the balance as well as a few other benefits with the card!

Just wanted everyone else to know that there were options after allowing the mileage to "expire," at least in my case..
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist

Just wanted everyone else to know that there were options after allowing the mileage to "expire," at least in my case..
OK, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.