Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expiring miles account

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2009, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Expiring miles account

Hi Guys. A friend's account hasent been used for 18 months as of Feb 28th. If I gift him some miles form my account, does anybody know if that will keep it open. Alternatively he's staying at a Hilton on the 27th, which would obviously post late, will that keep it open ?
Thanks, in anticipation !
Old Feb 25, 2009, 6:42 am

Programs: US Plat, DL Gold, WN when needed, PC Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
The US website has this to say.

At 15 - 17 months of inactivity, customers can pay a $40 preservation fee to remain active for another 18 months.
US Airways Member Guide

They charge a lot more to reinstate your miles. Someone else will have to comment on posting date versus the date you did the activity.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
My daughter's account was set to expire March 1. I tried buying iTunes, which has worked in the past, but the USAir's technology seems completely incapable of such a simple transaction now (it worked for my other daughter, and I tried 4 times since late Jan).

After reading a few other posts, I went out and signed her up at points.com. It was free and, more importantly, the 10 miles showed up instantly. The dreaded red triangle/yellow exclamation point and expiration warning is gone.

A lot cheaper than $40. Just be sure to enter the account and zip code correctly (I had to look mine up on usairways.com - it had my +4 zip so I had to go back to points.com and update it).
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Sincere thanks points.com worked great

It worked almost immidiately. Well worth flagging up for others.
I wonder how long before usair block it so they can get thier $40 ?
Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:33 am

Thank you

Just wanted to say thanks for the points.com/10 miles suggestion. My partner had 55,000 Dividend miles set to expire on 4/1 and it just saved her some time and money.

^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.