Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways award travel chart change

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down US Airways award travel chart change

US Airways award travel chart changed last night (the night between 2/5-2/6) on some awards up to 25% higher. I called their customers relation and they claimed they can change the rates anytime without notice...Assuming it is correct and acceptable by the terms is it a proper business ethical behavior?

Here is the award chart after the change:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...wardchart.html

Not enough there are not "Standard" bonus tickets they increase the rates.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:22 am

Programs: DM member since 1996, DM Gold, Marriott Gold
No more low off peak envoy for 60k miles.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:34 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by Bighead1970:20201901
Arrgggghhhh! I have been saving my miles for years and was finally going to cash them in for a trip for my whole family next year. This totally sucks!!!!!!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: DL, CX
still no change in star partner award miles. Or change in the way?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I guess their new business class is selling well enough to justify taking away the 60k award level...
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bighead1970
Originally Posted by skitch23
Arrgggghhhh! I have been saving my miles for years and was finally going to cash them in for a trip for my whole family next year. This totally sucks!!!!!!
That was the first thing I looked at. Double Arrgggghhhh!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Originally Posted by gilbarus
I called their customers relation and they claimed they can change the rates anytime without notice...Assuming it is correct and acceptable by the terms is it a proper business ethical behavior?
They sure can change the program including award travel mileage requirements at any time. Same applies to any of the other frequent flyer programs out there.

And how is it unethical? Its not. They are operating under the guidelines which we all agree to when we enroll in the program.

Originally Posted by skitch23
You are assuming you could have found enough seats for your whole family.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: US CP
I have been looking for off peak envoy for next week and noticed this this morning. Spoke with the Chairman's desk and 2 people said they hadn't heard of any change. Their explanation was that availability must be moving those awards higher. (Obv wrong)
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:17 am

Not to mention they make the change for off peak during the last 3 weeks its offered this year for Europe
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
This should not surprise anyone. With all the buy/share promotions they have had over the last years. I'm still buying points and flying US. Although my next LHR flight will be on BA to check out the product since they are a partner with AA and that's where we all be in a few months.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
It's been a really long time since they adjusted that chart, so I don't think any of us should be surprised.

As for business ethics.... testing vaccines on babies in third-world countries without their parents' informed consent is unethical. Highly unethical. Changing the price you charge for your product or service is not unethical at all.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Why ask US? The terms and conditions of the program are publicly available on its website and make it clear that US can change the program at any time and without notice.

2. Why would this be unethical? When you join MP, you specifically check the "I agree" box noting that you have read, understand and agree to the terms and conditions in #1. It's a voluntary program, costs nothing and is upfront and transperent about its terms. Those are the hallmarks of business ethics.

3. As to whether it's good business, only US knows the numbers, but presumably an improved economic situation leading to more purchased premium seats, coupled with capacity cuts, means that there's no reason to give those seats away at such a low "price." Miles are no different than dollars. When demand goes up, US raises its prices for revenue tickets. Makes sense to do so for award tickets too.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
They do have the right to change the award chart, but there is a tipping point at which it would be considered fradulent.

Many years ago, in the late 80's or early 90's I think, as the loyalty programs realized the monster they had created, they did major changes to awards. The state attorneys general got into the act and there was some sort of general negotiated settlement limiting how much they could change. I know for example that around 1992, 93, 94 or something like that, my United miles were split into "old" miles which could be redeemed at the old rates, and "new" miles at the new rates. I think old miles converted to new miles in 1997. The old charge was two first-class tickets USA to Austrailia for 120K miles. (Although back then, I think "F" still meant the same as domestic F is now.)

One thing that stimulated that was the 1988 debacle. Eastern Airlines, running on fumes, had a promotion that if you flew one Eastern flight in the first three months, you got triple miles on every flight all year. All the competitors matched it. That was also in the day before CC bonuses, so the inflation in miles in "circulation" was very significant.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:29 am
Suspended

US must have taken a page out the playbook of DL and thought: "how can we gut our program as well"...
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:37 am

I've been taking advantage of the CP no award change fee and piecing a trip together for next week. I already had my flight to Europe booked from PHL in Envoy but hadn't found a low level of CLT-PHL. DO you think it is going to reprice when I find my connection to PHL? Or will it stay at the old 30000?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.