Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

The 'MoveUp' program on US, Standby, Same day confirmed (merged) [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'MoveUp' program on US, Standby, Same day confirmed (merged) [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver

Hi all,

Today I ran into a situation I'd like some feedback on. I had a flight scheduled for 7:55 AM from MCO to PHL. I got to the airport super early though and was there in time for an earlier flight on the same route that departed at 6:15 AM. This flight had PLENTY of extra room on it according to the Gate Agent. I asked the Gate Agent then since I was there, would it be possible for me to just take the earlier flight. They wanted $50/ticket in order to do this. I asked if there was any way that the fee could be waived since it's the exact same route, there's plenty of space and it would just free up some seats that they could sell on the later flight anyway. They refused to do anything to help me out.

Is this typical? Did I just get a really grumpy gate agent? I feel that sitting around in airport for an extra 2 hours for no reason makes no sense and they should've let me take that earlier flight since there was plenty of space on board. Has anyone else encountered this? I'd appreciate feedback on this and if this is something I should complain to US Airways about.

Thanks everyone!
-Matt

Last edited by aztimm; Feb 17, 2011 at 5:41 pm Reason: Chanded thread title
Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
The fee is waived for any preferred members, but yes, those are the rules.

ThemBeTheRulez

I didn't used to be that way, but they changed it a few years back. I can remember in college, (I went to school outside of CLT, flew home to PHL) I'd just book the cheapest flight and show up to the airport whenever I felt like leaving via standby since flights ran roughly hourly.

So, become preferred, don't pay. Until then, pay up. Doesn't make a ton of sense, but it's money that the powers can be can but on a balance sheet to indicate revenue. You can't indicate lost revenue from a potential ticket not sold on a later flight on any spreadsheet that impresses your boss/shareholders.

Sadly.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
No, this is standard. The $50 fee is the default for the Move Up program:
(http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/...s/default.html)

People with status get the fee waived, but not general members.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I never understood this rule. From an operations standpoint I would think that they would want to get as many people out earlier as they can. Never know what might foul up the rest of the day and you have seats full that might have been empty due to Move ups.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: None
It's primarily a revenue source except under the current ticket rules changing flights would cost more than the $50 Move-Up fee.

I think the normal charges for changing flights is what - $100 or something like that plus any fare difference. That is partially a revenue source and partially a means of keeping people from buying a lower fare off-peak ticket and changing to a higher fare peak flight. The Move-Up fee is a compromise between getting no extra revenue from people changing flights or making it too expensive for people to change flights.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by ellinj
I never understood this rule. From an operations standpoint I would think that they would want to get as many people out earlier as they can. Never know what might foul up the rest of the day and you have seats full that might have been empty due to Move ups.

It also protects the fare pricing for later flights. The 11pm flight is usually cheaper and if everyone booked that flight then showed up to the airport early… It would go out empty. It's a great perk for people with status and I love that US Airways still does that!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:55 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
what are the rules for *G on other star carriers such as CO and UA when you fly with them on codeshare?

Last edited by mrredskin; Feb 17, 2011 at 6:24 am
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:23 am

It is a great perk to have. Have used in twice in recent memory, once at thanksgiving to get home earlier after an early slot opened up for my son's college interview, and a month or so back when there was a big yellow/red radar blob out in the gulf off of TPA which was going to hit right around departure time - with a 50 minute connection in CLT.

Of course, the second one backfired when my connecting flight's crew got stuck in the conga line at ATL - but at least I was in CLT waiting for them, not sweating out a ground stop for lightning connecting to the last flight of the day.

Agreed on revenue protection, because otherwise lots of people would be gaming the system. It makes sense from an ops standpoint, but could cost them a lot of money if there weren't restrictions
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by mrredskin
what are the rules for *G on other star carriers such as CO and UA when you fly with them on codeshare?
I can't find any official US rules for *G on codeshares re Move Up - an old thread would suggest inconsistency.

BTW, in case anybody is wondering, the no-status companion of a Preferred member also gets the Move Up fee waived - I've had this happen to me where an attempt was made to charge, but I remembered Customer Service Manual section 8.25 (thanks much to Mykle's very helpful post).
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
The fee is waived for any preferred members, but yes, those are the rules.

ThemBeTheRulez

I didn't used to be that way, but they changed it a few years back. I can remember in college, (I went to school outside of CLT, flew home to PHL) I'd just book the cheapest flight and show up to the airport whenever I felt like leaving via standby since flights ran roughly hourly.

Sadly.
This is EXACTLY why there is now a fee because many people booked the cheapest fare and abused the "free" change policy. It's one thing if you get to the airport early every once in a while, but people were intentionally booking the cheapest fare and ALWAYS getting to the airport early.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by formeraa
This is EXACTLY why there is now a fee because many people booked the cheapest fare and abused the "free" change policy. It's one thing if you get to the airport early every once in a while, but people were intentionally booking the cheapest fare and ALWAYS getting to the airport early.
Abuse implies malicious intent. We were all merely using the system and its rules to our advantage. For me it was just convenient due to flying between the two major hubs at the time.

I still do it now, when I can. I just don't have to pay. Saved ~$75 and 3 hours by booking the last CLT-GSP flight last Friday knowing I could standby on an earlier flight that pretty open.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
The 'MoveUp' program on US (merged) [master thread]

Question:
First off I am a preferred DM member. I am on a 615pm flight tomorrow BUF-PHL-PHX. Can I get an earlier flight over the phone of do I have to be at the airport. I BUF is a 2 hour drive from London. I think all flights are fairly full tomorrow. I am willing to connect in BOS, LGA, DCA, CLT as well is PHL

Any incite is greatly appreciated

Brandon

Last edited by aztimm; Feb 17, 2011 at 2:00 pm
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
As a US Preferred member you can move to an earlier flight with no fee but you have to be at the airport to do so.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
The 'MoveUp' program on US (merged) [master thread]

According to The US Website

Move up program

We allow you to 'move up' to any earlier flight on the same day of your originally scheduled departure time at the airport (with the exception of flights to Hawaii and Europe). You can only make day-of-departure changes at the airport (and not by calling Reservations).

If there is an open seat available on any earlier US Airways operated flight that departs on the same day as your originally scheduled departure, you may change to that flight and we will automatically confirm your reservation for $50 for flights within the 48 contiguous United States and $50 for flights to Latin America, the Caribbean, Canada and Alaska. This lower confirmation fee replaces the usual $150 change fee, plus any differences between your old fare and new fare, for non-refundable tickets.

If there is not an open seat on an earlier flight that departs on the same day as your originally scheduled departure, you may stand by for that flight at no charge. Standing by at no charge is not permitted if we can confirm that there is an open seat available for that flight. Seats on completely booked flights may become available if passengers with confirmed reservations don't show up for the flight. Unlike a confirmed reservation, flying standby does not guarantee that you will get on the particular flight that you want and may involve waiting for two or more flights before a seat is available to you.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I think a master thread for this is a great idea since it comes up every few weeks. You might consider adding the word "Standby" to the title of the thread since that's what most people come here looking for; also "Same-Day Confirmed," which is terminology recognizable to elites from DL / CO / AA / UA. US's "Move Up" isn't quite as straight-forwardly recognizable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.