Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issue Using Move Up w/Companion (Silver)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2009, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Issue Using Move Up w/Companion (Silver)

Was flying SEA-PHX, scheduled on the late flight today. My companion and I got upgraded automatically at the 2 day Silver window. Decided we needed to get back to PHX earlier so we got up at o'dark-hundred and went out for the 5:15 AM flight (I could see online there were plenty of seats in both coach and first). Couldn't use the kiosk to standby, so had to call over an agent. Asked him to move us up to the 5:15 AM, preferably in 3A&C, if still avaialable. Agent had lots of difficulty putting us on the earlier flight. First, he said he had to separate our reservations (having worked on SHARES, I can tell you there was no reason to do that). Then, he goes to the back room for help. He comes back and tells us my companion needs to pay $50 for the move up fee. I explained this is part of the benefits of being preferred and he needed to make it happen. He says the move up is not a preferred benefit for companions, but he'll call the help desk and disappears to the back room again. Comes back out a few minutes later and hands us the boarding passes for 3A&C. Took about 20 minutes for that whole thing to take place.

Having an inside source, I can tell you the Move Up program clearly exempts preferred travelers and their companions in the same reservation. If you ever have this issue of someone trying to charge your companion a move up fee, refer the agent to Move Up Program info in section 8.24 of their customer service manual.

Update 12/3/09 - Had another opportunity to move up today traveling from PHX to PVD via PHL. PHX agent tried to charge us $50 for my companion to move up, saying only the preferred member went for free. Pointed out the CSM reference and he put us on the earlier flight without charge. Really disappointed this is a recurring issue.

Update 4/16/12 - the reference point in the Customer Service Manual is now 8.24, not 8.25

Last edited by Mykle; Apr 16, 2012 at 3:12 pm Reason: Updated CSM Reference
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Update 12/21 - Received a reply from US Airways in reply to my letter about these situations. They apologized for the inconvenience and said they would follow-up. Due to privacy laws, they cannot comment on the final outcome.

I'm pleased with this prompt reply to my letter. This, of course, is small compared to the problems folks are having due to the blizzard, but I wanted to let you know US did reply to my letter.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Every time I've ever moved up with a companion (nearly a dozen times) the PNR has been split, and they've tried to charge the move-up fee for the companion. Depending on the time remaining before the flight and/or my attitude, I'll fight for it, or I'll pay the $50 and email customer service later that day. I always get the refund and written confirmation that the benefit applies to companions.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:36 am

Programs: US, NW Delta
I believe I had an identical situation as what you described, but wanted to make sure before I contact customer service.

I am silver and traveled with a companion with no status on the same reservation. We wanted to move up to an earlier flight. I was of course free, but the agent at the US Airways Club was insistent that my companion would have to pay $50. Not knowing the rules, we paid the $50.

Is there a link to somewhere on the US Airways site that explains section 8.25 that I can use for reference? I'd like that $50 back if we didn't have to pay it.

Thanks,
-CB
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Carbon Blob, you should not have been charged.

You won't find the CSM online, but I would encourage you to write your experience to US and send it off to them, including the CSM reference and ask them for your $50 back. The only way folks will learn is if we point out these issues.

Last edited by Mykle; Dec 21, 2009 at 1:03 pm Reason: addtl info
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:12 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I wonder if this is just some unwritten rule that they should try to charge it to get the money out of the people whom simply do not know better or will fight it.

Lets be honest most people would just had over the cash and never followup. I wonder how much extra cash these "misunderstandings" are earning US Airways on a daily basis.

Mia
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by miakayuuki
I wonder if this is just some unwritten rule that they should try to charge it to get the money out of the people whom simply do not know better or will fight it.

Lets be honest most people would just had over the cash and never followup. I wonder how much extra cash these "misunderstandings" are earning US Airways on a daily basis.

Mia
It pops up on the computer and they have always have trouble getting past it without confirming payment. It's a system screw-up. Even the couple times the agent agreed with me that my companion should get a move-up for free they've had to get supervisors and fight to get around the system. I've actually decided it really is easier to pay the $50, send an email right from my BlackBerry and have the $50 refunded within 10 days usually. Problem needs to be fixed but in the interim I'll help keep the refunds department busy.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: US, NW Delta
Talking Issue resolved

Thank you flyertalk. And thank you OP (and everyone else on this thread). One quick email to customer service and I'm getting my $50 back (well, $25 for me, $25 for companion).

-CB
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: US Silver Preferred, Delta
That's hilarious. I had this happen to me in DFW couple of weeks ago we got on an earlier flight me silver him premier on UA and they told me it was supposed to be $50. The agent then said "but Ill waive your companions fee since there is only 30 mins to the next flight" I never thought anything about it but after reading this thread I realize that I must have got lucky to not have a huge hassel to get the move-up done.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I can certainly accept that this is mostly due to the computer not realising very well what is going on and making it a pain for the agents to get around and/or making them think the compuer must be right, but I have to admit, I do still wonder how much extra cash they wind up collecting from all these little mistakes.

Mia
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by miakayuuki
I can certainly accept that this is mostly due to the computer not realising very well what is going on and making it a pain for the agents to get around and/or making them think the compuer must be right, but I have to admit, I do still wonder how much extra cash they wind up collecting from all these little mistakes.

Mia
Plenty, I'm sure. All kinds of fees people aren't required to pay get paid I bet. The companion move-up fee is computer driven but I'd bet there are non-US *S and *G's and/or *A premium passengers who've paid checked bag fees, Envoy, *G or *A international C/F passengers who've paid for a club day pass, and I'd bet there are other possibilities for additional but incorrectly collected revenue I'm overlooking.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
As all of us know here, airline rules can be very complex. It is nearly impossible for a single agent to keep all of these in mind. Yes, that is what the airlines expect the agents to do.

A good agent will look up the rules, once you question or point out the correct rule. However, as we know, that is the exception rather than the rule.

Let's keep sharing things here on FT. Then, we understand what the correct rules are. However, let's not be TOO hard agents on the agents during this very stressful holiday season!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.