Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by fijaircan
The itinerary is as follows:
SEA-FRA-MUC-JNB-(Stopover)-BKK-SYD-(Destination)-BKK-FRA-SEA

Is it invalid - I am not sure. A supervisor and rates desk OK'd it before ticketing.
Hahaha. That's a very ridiculous itinerary. Congrats. US to Australia via Europe, S. Africa and Asia.

Definitely illegal.

Last edited by abcx; Oct 19, 2010 at 9:10 am
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:37 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by LN-FHU
I have NEVER gotten US to book me 2 seats on LX, i grabbed one seat ZRH-NRT in june, after this I've played around with changing my flight to ZRH-BKK instead, but seems like LX is extremle stingy with their F-seats next summer. I'm not gonna give up my F-seat "catch of the day"....

ANA F is more or like "the holy grail" among award-seats, you'll have an issue there....
I got 2 seats on LX from FRA - ZRH and ZRH - HKG no problem in January (in F)
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:16 am

Programs: QFF
Is this a valid routing for S/E Asia - Africa

SIN-BKK-JNB (destinatin) -ZRH (stop over)-BOM or SIN (if BOM open jaw is not permitted)
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:51 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by somebol
Is this a valid routing for S/E Asia - Africa

SIN-BKK-JNB (destinatin) -ZRH (stop over)-BOM or SIN (if BOM open jaw is not permitted)
The routing above, should be fine though you will not be allowed the stopover AND open jaw. One way out of this is to try and get the return flight from Zurich to Singapore via BOM and keep a few hours between the connecting flights, then just not board the last flight. Should not be a problem at ZRH to request the airline to check your bag just to BOM...

BOM-SIN is not easy to find on the direct SQ flights so plan ahead!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by davem4
I got 2 seats on LX from FRA - ZRH and ZRH - HKG no problem in January (in F)
ZRH - HKG does tend to open up last minute in F but that's taking a big chance of course.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by abcx
Hahaha. That's a very ridiculous itinerary. Congrats. US to Australia via Europe, S. Africa and Asian.

Definitely illegal.
DM is not good at calling back to cancel these itineraries. Hold tight. You may survive this one unscathed, albeit without the date change you are hoping for.

Don't try calling to play agent roulette. Your itinerary has probably been marked as illegal on their notes and therefore won't be touched by anyone else.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Hahaha. That's a very ridiculous itinerary. Congrats. US to Australia via Europe, S. Africa and Asian.
What would be a valid itinerary that would include Africa and Australia from the US?

My understanding is that stopovers in a more expensive region (Africa) on the way to another region (Australia) are fine, so long as you're charged for that region, and JNB is a *A hub (SA). So if this was charged at 70 for Y, 110 for C, 150 for F, what's the problem?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
What would be a valid itinerary that would include Africa and Australia from the US?

My understanding is that stopovers in a more expensive region (Africa) on the way to another region (Australia) are fine, so long as you're charged for that region, and JNB is a *A hub (SA). So if this was charged at 70 for Y, 110 for C, 150 for F, what's the problem?
I would think it would fly in the face of MPM or most direct routing though US seems to lack these rules.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:35 am
Suspended

Does anyone know if row 82 is any good on LH or does it feel totally exposed and potentially noisy overnight due to the service cart parking?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I would think it would fly in the face of MPM or most direct routing though US seems to lack these rules.
SEA-FRA-MUC-JNB isn't actually much worse than SEA-IAD-JNB, and SA doesn't fly to SYD, just PER, so routing through BKK to get to SYD isn't unreasonable, either.

The problem with using the direct SYD-LAX/SFO flights on UA (or SYD-AKL-LAX on NZ, or SYD/AXL-YVR on AC) is that according to our own gleff:

In general I find that awards to from North America to Tahiti are the second most difficult to secure. Admittedly, I’m highly North America-centric. The most difficult in my experience is North America to Australia and New Zealand direct. Via Asia (or Europe and Asia) is quite doable. But those non-stops from Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Vancouver to Sydney or Auckland on United, Air Canada, and Air New Zealand are all quite tough to come by. The Air New Zealand flights are actually the most doable, though in Northern Hemisphere winter the business seats usually only release exactly 60 days in advance of flight (and closer in as well, but that 60-day release date seems to be quite common).
So you're almost forced to route back through Asia. SQ's not really an option until they open up the 77Ws to the likes of us mortals. So you're back to TG/BKK again, with either a choice of the BKK-LAX flight, more stops in Asia to get to SEA, or back through Europe.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
Does anyone know if row 82 is any good on LH or does it feel totally exposed and potentially noisy overnight due to the service cart parking?
Row 83 is preferred. Just because the window seat passenger can get around the aisle seat even when it bed mode. Either way,the cart is a non-issue. It's not on both sides the full flight and even then it's only accessed repeatedly typically during meal service.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
LH F upper deck seats on the 744

Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
82 is not the row with the service cart in front of it -- that's 83 - the exit row.

I like Row 82 if traveling with someone. You're near the front for the order of service, not right in front of the restrooms, and without a service cart in front of you.

Personally, I don't really understand all the excitement about Row 83. If you're traveling by yourself, 83A is probably the best seat, as it's so easy to get in and out of your seat. For two, the A&C side of Row 83 is not bad, as nothing is going on right in front of you, but I still think if you're with another person Row 82 is better.

Row 81 on the A side has a bathroom view I would avoid, but my second choice as a single passenger would be 81 K, by the window. Can't see the bathroom and provides the maximum privacy on the LH 744 upper deck F cabin.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist

I was charged 150K for F for this.

As gottaluvNW mentioned, I will just hang tight and see what happens. I can live without the date change.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:42 am

SEA-FRA-MUC-JNB isn't actually much worse than SEA-IAD-JNB, and SA doesn't fly to SYD, just PER, so routing through BKK to get to SYD isn't unreasonable, either.

The problem with using the direct SYD-LAX/SFO flights on UA (or SYD-AKL-LAX on NZ, or SYD/AXL-YVR on AC) is that according to our own gleff:

So you're almost forced to route back through Asia. SQ's not really an option until they open up the 77Ws to the likes of us mortals. So you're back to TG/BKK again, with either a choice of the BKK-LAX flight, more stops in Asia to get to SEA, or back through Europe.
I actually don't think there is a valid US-Australia routing that goes through S. Africa. Any other routing including SEA-SFO-SYD, which you astutely note is hard to get, SEA-LAX-BKK-SYD or SEA-FRA-BKK-SYD is at least 5k miles shorter than this routing via JNB.

But US has never cared in the past and I doubt anyone will call the OP.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
82 is not the row with the service cart in front of it -- that's 83 - the exit row.

I like Row 82 if traveling with someone. You're near the front for the order of service, not right in front of the restrooms, and without a service cart in front of you.

Personally, I don't really understand all the excitement about Row 83. If you're traveling by yourself, 83A is probably the best seat, as it's so easy to get in and out of your seat. For two, the A&C side of Row 83 is not bad, as nothing is going on right in front of you, but I still think if you're with another person Row 82 is better.

Row 81 on the A side has a bathroom view I would avoid, but my second choice as a single passenger would be 81 K, by the window. Can't see the bathroom and provides the maximum privacy on the LH 744 upper deck F cabin.
I've only taken LH F solo and really like row 83. Even when there is no one beside me, it is nice to have all that open space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.