Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Revamps Award Charts (Master Combined Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Exclamation US Revamps Award Charts (Master Combined Discussion Thread)

US Airways (NYSE:LCC) has expanded the choices that Dividend Miles members have with the introduction of its new GoAwards reward program. Beginning January 6, 2010, Dividend Miles, US Airways’ frequent flyer program, will offer a new award structure to provide members more flexibility and options when redeeming miles for award travel to destinations worldwide. GoAwards will make booking travel more convenient with fewer restrictions, and will create four award levels, replacing the previous two tiers.

Currently, Dividend Miles members have two award levels to choose from when booking award travel: Saver and Standard. GoAwards introduces four award levels: Off-Peak, Low, Medium and High. Off-Peak and Low are offered on days when travel demand is lower, while Medium and High are offered on days when travel demand is greater. Customers will have access to last-seat availability, and will be able to combine Coach, First and Envoy cabins and dates at various mileage levels.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....068&highlight=
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You've been "enhanced." My condolences.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HedgeFundie
It's Monday and there's no news. Chalk this one up to be an unfounded rumor?
You've been "enhanced," Delta-style:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-goawards.html

My condolences.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:44 am

Programs: Various
Let us all hope this does not become another instance of US Airways "setting the bar" for all other US based carriers. IMO US Air's "enhancements" lower the bar and everybody follows suit, in essence degrading the whole system. We shall see.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
So we have until January 6. Ok. But I really want to see an updated *A chart so I know how much premium seats to Asia and South Pacific will cost me in miles. The link for more details is currently not working.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: US Airways DM Silver, United Mileage Plus
Question

Hmm...Leaving aside all condolences about 'enhancements', , what does this actually imply for us? On the face of it, it seems like a more reasonable approach towards redemption, especially the part about combining different classes of service. But I'm kinda concerned that there are now 4 award buckets, where there previously were 2. The link to the GoAwards page isn't working either, as some of the posters are mentioning.

Last edited by mrwise; Nov 9, 2009 at 12:13 pm Reason: Corrected post
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Link worked for me.

I haven't had a chance to read, but "we have enhancements for you" is rarely good from US.

EDIT: So they appear to have introduced a lower-tier, low cost award.....and then made the entire category n/a for all domestic and Hawaii flights.

Since I've never seen a "Saver" award anywhere I wanted to go/when I wanted to go, just looking at the peak awards looks like an overall 20-30% devaluation of our points. I'm even more glad I burned over a million in the last 4 years.

Last edited by CPRich; Nov 9, 2009 at 12:18 pm
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:13 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The press release is wrong about the current number of award buckets, there are currently three, off-peak, saver, and standard, now there are four, off-peak, low, medium, and high.

On its face it seems that they are splitting the current standard level to medium and high, with high now allowing last seat availability (something US took away a few years ago as I recall). The real sticky question is will they reduce availability in the low bucket compared to current saver availability.

On the plus side of these changes they have added off-peak awards to South America.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Link worked for me.

I haven't had a chance to read, but "we have enhancements for you" is rarely good from US.
Not the press release, the link inside it, which goes to www.usairways.com/goawards - that's what is failing. Until then, I have no idea what SFO-NRT or LAX-AKL will cost.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Ouch -- I primarily use miles for international business class awards, primarily to Europe, and the numbers don't look good from here. Off-peak stays the same at 60,000 miles, but what was saver at 80,000 and premium at 160,000 now goes to what I expect are the equivalents availability at 100,000 (low) and 200,000 (medium). Top tier is 350,000 miles (high) which seems outrageous.

At least it will be a lot easier on people looking for a way to spend out their pool of miles.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
As others have said, I will be interested to see what the Star Alliance redemption looks like after it has been "enhanced".

That said, it looks as if an Envoy ticket to Europe just jumped from 80k to 100k... (not counting the off-peak which is very limited).

Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:28 pm

Link inside press release still broken.

Go here

Still no world-wide *A details.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Originally Posted by Robt760
Let us all hope this does not become another instance of US Airways "setting the bar" for all other US based carriers. IMO US Air's "enhancements" lower the bar and everybody follows suit, in essence degrading the whole system. We shall see.
Delta is the one who set the bar with this system, unfornuately, US Airways is following. I think Delta has had it for about a year.

Cheers.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Bummer.
Honestly, we all knew that USair dividend miles redemption levels were a steal. I figured itd only be a matter of time before this happend. If all the other redemption levels go up [N. Asia, S. Asia, etc...], theres no real reason for me to stay; even living in PHL. Subpar First Class, no entertainment system, lower than average mileage accumulation on partners, etc.... were all outweighed by the awesome award levels.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
US vs. DL vs. AA

The best usage from a customers point of view I have seen is using this approach by AA specially to South America.

It is my hope that US will follow AA not DL in this manner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.