Search

Domestic US GoUpgrades and other upgrades [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
I can't remember off the top of my head, but I remember seeing posts where some FT'ers mentioned that they didn't get upgraded/couldn't do GoUpgrade, they called, and were told that US was still holding out for revenue pax.
I have seen US hold seats for revenue pax's up to T-24 on certain flights PHL-SFO, CLT-SFO, PHX-HNL, but once it becomes T-24 elites should get the upgrades first.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: US, AA, SW, DL, UA, US Air credit card
Originally Posted by carl92103
Will they still allow the 20,000 mileage upgrades? If they discontinue this I will jump ship
I would like to know too. I just got 40,0000 miles from the US Air credit card and would like to know if they can be used to upgrade to first class, especially now since American owns US Air.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by carl92103
Will they still allow the 20,000 mileage upgrades? If they discontinue this I will jump ship
Put on your life vest.

Yes, you can upgrade, but only with miles AND cash. For a transcon, it's 10,000 miles each way plus $150. The cash element used to be waived for DM elite members, but that ended earlier this year.

All the details are HERE.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by col4evr
I would like to know too. I just got 40,0000 miles from the US Air credit card and would like to know if they can be used to upgrade to first class, especially now since American owns US Air.
First off US aquired AA, but keeping the AA name so it was US who took over AA not the other way around.

Yes your 40K miles can be used to upgrade.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:07 pm

Upgrade offer during OLCI?

I have a DCA-PHX flight coming up soon. How likely am I to get an upgrade offer during OLCI? Am I more likely to get a good offer if I wait and check in at a kiosk? I have got cheap offers a number of times on UA, but I don't fly US as much so don't have much experience.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:22 pm

Since US upgrades it's preferred members for free, it's unlikely that there will be any seats open for upgrade at OLCI. However, there's always the chance of cancellation, so you could do an online search to see if there are any F seats. If there aren't, don't check in. If there are, check in and see if they offer you F.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: WFBF
Without elite status, on a hub-hub flight, I'd put your chance at zero.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
Slim to nil...
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
Originally Posted by Chamor
I have a DCA-PHX flight coming up soon. How likely am I to get an upgrade offer during OLCI? Am I more likely to get a good offer if I wait and check in at a kiosk? I have got cheap offers a number of times on UA, but I don't fly US as much so don't have much experience.
As others have mentioned, on this route the odds of an upgrade offer are low. I've only seen upgrades being sold a couple of times in the 98 US flights I've had this year. That said, it could happen. I would check-in and then ask at the counter.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Unless if it is in a crazy hour, as everyone already said - no chance at all.

In a crazy hour in a slow day - there is a chance. Few weeks ago, they were selling the last available upgrade on PHX-CLT (Saturday, first flight for the morning) after everyone was already upgraded (included the few AA elites).
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
Originally Posted by Granitebox
Slim to nil...
So you're saying he's got a chance
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
So, have booked a US flight that departs next Monday. Got an email today indicating that if I'm interested with upgrading, click the link to be added to the upgrade list and the CC used for the tix will be used to process upgrade. Just curious if US is willing to take dollars over a free upgrade once again.

Got grief from passenger once when boarding plan that I took his free upgrade! Says he was watching the seats and the one I got would have been given to him#1 on upgrade that AM. But I opted to purchase upgrade and trumped him with my dollars (perhaps true as I did purchase upgrade at check-in).

Thought times with airlines balancing free upgrades over non-elites/baited revenue customers. Curious what others feel about this balancing act and/or the practice.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: Independent
Argh! just venting, but I Expert Flyer now supposedly shows upgrade availability using miles for US air. I even called to make sure the upgrade was available. Booked it, called back top upgrade - and now they tell me there are no upgrades available!

I am not going to fight it. I was just trying to use up my last 10k miles, I am just going to let them expire. Not worth the hassle.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
I have no status on US and recently received an email offering potential upgrade from DCA-BOS for $90 for an upcoming flight.

My question is, if there are no takers at this price point will they offer at the airport for lower price, or is pricing standard no matter which time it is offered? Thanks in advance for those who have experience with this situation.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dc2005b
I have no status on US and recently received an email offering potential upgrade from DCA-BOS for $90 for an upcoming flight.

My question is, if there are no takers at this price point will they offer at the airport for lower price, or is pricing standard no matter which time it is offered? Thanks in advance for those who have experience with this situation.
US base upgrades on distance, however, I'm not too sure how it works on the shuttle flights (cost) I would call US and see what the typical upgrade cost is at the gate or check in...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.