Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic US GoUpgrades and other upgrades [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Domestic US GoUpgrades and other upgrades [Master Thread]

I am flying SFO-PHL-MIA on Monday. I have no US status, just *A gold via UA. I'm on a V fare. I guess once all the US elites get their upgrades, I can purchase an upgrade via this program?
Do I have to sign up or get on a waitlist or anything?
Thanks

Last edited by aztimm; Feb 13, 2011 at 3:46 pm
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by flyinryan
I am flying SFO-PHL-MIA on Monday. I have no US status, just *A gold via UA. I'm on a V fare. I guess once all the US elites get their upgrades, I can purchase an upgrade via this program?
Do I have to sign up or get on a waitlist or anything?
Thanks
You can call starting at exactly 24 hours prior to departure to ask if there is one availalble. If so, prices are mileage-based and range from $50-250 (similiar to UA) for domestic flights and $500 for transatlantic.

You may also request one upon checkin at the airport and often times online checkin or airport kiosks will offer the upgrade if it's still available.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Many thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
Surviving us in y - newbie

Hi...I am a NW Plat that will be flying US for the first time. Obviously no status = seating in the way-back of the bus with no chance of an upgrade.

Flying DTW-CLT-PHX-PSP

Any survival tips?:

Catering? Is the BOB decent?

How easy is it to get a GoUpgrade at the 24 hour mark?

How safe is Mesa?

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Why are you flying through CLT? US flies DTW - PHX - PSP. Odd...

Bring your own food.

Can't reply on the upgrade, as I don't fly US anymore. But, my thought is that most upgrades are taken by elites, even at T-24.

Lastly, Mesa is great if you need a car battery, or are searching for a low-budget tacorama, or someone to paint flames on your "ride". Beyond that, I wouldn't recommend it...
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DesertFlier

Lastly, Mesa is great if you need a car battery, or are searching for a low-budget tacorama, or someone to paint flames on your "ride". Beyond that, I wouldn't recommend it...

Yikes. Really? Is that just snark or are there facts behind the comment?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Upgrade possibilty?

I am not a regular poster on this forum, since I don't fly US much. Tomorrow morning my wife and I are booked on US 1227. Seatcounter shows all zeros in Y, but 4 F seats available. If there is overbooking, what chances do we have (same PNR, I am UA 1K and hence *G, my wife has no status) of upgrades?

Thanks much.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Your chances are "ok" but not that good.

You'll be behind all US Airways elite members (including silvers) in competition for those seats. Additionally, they will most likely offer buy-ups at the gate before moving *A Gold folks up.

If you want those seats, since the flight is tomorrow you can call US Airways and purchase a GoUpgrade today.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Thanks. We have good exit row seats and the price of the upgrade doesn't seem worth it. But any opportunity for an op-up, no matter how remote, is welcome.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:01 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
It's a very remote chance given that neither of you have any US status. They would probably then move down the list to full Y/B fare passengers.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Hi...I am a NW Plat that will be flying US for the first time. Obviously no status = seating in the way-back of the bus with no chance of an upgrade.

Flying DTW-CLT-PHX-PSP

Any survival tips?:

Catering? Is the BOB decent?

How easy is it to get a GoUpgrade at the 24 hour mark?

How safe is Mesa?

Thanks for the help.
Hub to hub flights tend to have many elites, so I highly doubt you would be able to purchase an upgrade on the CLT-PHX segment.

My friend flew US Airways between PHL and SEA last week. He said that the quality of the BOB meals was not bad, but portions well small. Further, he stated that these meals were overpriced.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:17 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by honeytoes
Yikes. Really? Is that just snark or are there facts behind the comment?
It sounds like you are talking about Mesa the US Express carrier and DesertFlier is talking about Mesa the city. Or am I wrong?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Originally Posted by bitburgr
It sounds like you are talking about Mesa the US Express carrier and DesertFlier is talking about Mesa the city. Or am I wrong?
As a resident of Mesa, I can assure you Desertflier was referring to the city, not the airline. Though I gather the airline isn't much better from what I have read.

I bought a sandwich (turkey? I can't remember) on my June flight from PHX-JFK. It was average at best and the taste stayed in my mouth for hours afterward. Definitely grab your own food.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
I'll pray for you. I wouldn't wish US Y on my worst enemy.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Ugh.

Alright. I hate US as much or more than anyone else around here, but here's the deal. They will get you from A to B and expect terrible service, rude employees, no IFE, and lots of fees and you will likely be surprised at how good of an experience you will have.

Will you be safe on Mesa? Most likely. It's not as if any scheduled passenger airline can deviate too far from the mean on safety... and if they did, I suspect that the FAA would be doing something about it.

I used the same strategy recently for a flight from TPA-MSP-PIR on NW. My expectations were met. Bottom line: if you are an elite on another airline, being treated like a Kettle stinks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.