Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic US GoUpgrades and other upgrades [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I just received an e-mail for a Goupgrade for my flight next week.

When I clicked the link I received this message:

GoUpgrades

We're sorry

Please try again.
(link)

Does this mean they are no longer available or is there just an issue with the system?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Upgrades for Cash at the Gate

First off, sorry if this already has its own thread. Posting from the gate on my iPhone, and the search doesn't work so well..

Anyway, im waiting for my AA flight to ORD, but US is announcing that they'll sell the u/g for MCI-PHX for $119 due to leftover seats. Is this a common thing on US? Can't say I've ever heard an AAgent try to sell and u/g at the gAAte. Seats will go empty if there is nobody on the list.

Is $119 a common price for a 1,044 mile flight?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Yep...very normal, and the price seems about average for that length of a flight too. In some airports like CLT, there is often a notice on the digital board behind the GA saying "First Class Seats Available" or "First Class Sold Out".
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:51 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Anyway, im waiting for my AA flight to ORD, but US is announcing that they'll sell the u/g for MCI-PHX for $119 due to leftover seats. Is this a common thing on US? Can't say I've ever heard an AAgent try to sell and u/g at the gAAte. Seats will go empty if there is nobody on the list.
At one time US agents received a bonus for each upgrade they sold, I don't know if that is still the case or not. Checking in online for MCI-DCA for tomorrow and my wife was offered first class for $110 each (my son and I cleared at the Gold window to make it 5 of 9 seats occupied, we were the only ones to clear at the Gold window or since).
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
How do seats eligible for a GO Upgrade appear on EF?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
How do seats eligible for a GO Upgrade appear on EF?
All unsold FC seats are eligible for GO upgrades at T-24. E.g. when EF (or other sites) show F2 availability at T-24, 2 upgrades would be available for purchase (by calling or at the airport).
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by kudzu
All unsold FC seats are eligible for GO upgrades at T-24. E.g. when EF (or other sites) show F2 availability at T-24, 2 upgrades would be available for purchase (by calling or at the airport).
Very helpful. Thanks. ^
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by kudzu
Not necessarily. There are some routes where they'll hold a seat or 2 for revenue up until a few hours prior to the flight. I've had this happen to me in the past.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by aztimm
Not necessarily. There are some routes where they'll hold a seat or 2 for revenue up until a few hours prior to the flight. I've had this happen to me in the past.
OK. I stand corrected.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:48 am

If I check in at T-24, would I still be able to upgrade online/through the iPhone app if one becomes available?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
If I check in at T-24, would I still be able to upgrade online/through the iPhone app if one becomes available?
When you check in, you will get a messages says something like, upgrade to FC for only $XX.XX there is only 1 seat at this time.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aztimm
What routes? US policy is at T-24 all unsold FC seats are open for GoFirst upgrades.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
When you check in, you will get a messages says something like, upgrade to FC for only $XX.XX there is only 1 seat at this time.
Sorry - my question wasn't clear. I meant to ask if I check in at T-24 and no upgrades are available and they subsequently become available, can I still upgrade online/through iPhone app even though I checked in?

Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
What routes? US policy is at T-24 all unsold FC seats are open for GoFirst upgrades.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I remember seeing posts where some FT'ers mentioned that they didn't get upgraded/couldn't do GoUpgrade, they called, and were told that US was still holding out for revenue pax.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Sorry - my question wasn't clear. I meant to ask if I check in at T-24 and no upgrades are available and they subsequently become available, can I still upgrade online/through iPhone app even though I checked in?

Thanks!
Lets say 12 hours before departure you look on line and see that the website is selling 1 seat and EF shows one seat, in theory you should be able to back in and change your seat to that open seat in F. As long as you are Silver or higher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.