Wiki Posts
Search

LA Times: US (née PSA) FA Retires

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
LA Times: US (née PSA) FA Retires

Interesting article on what it was like as an 18 y/o FA with PSA --- and then with the PSA/US merger, she left PSA management to continue being an FA for 26 years.

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...25-column.html
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Definitely an interesting perspective on how hiring once worked for FAs!

But at 66, Hansen has decided to ground herself. She retired this month with a flight bag of mixed feelings. She still loved the camaraderie but missed the old-time cachet.

"The biggest difference now is back then we were admired. We were respected," she said. "Even though you're wearing those little costumes and the butterfly eyelashes, if you told [passengers] to do something, they did it."
It's sad some people just do not how to behave. Or listen.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:10 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-how-post.html will move to the appropriate airline forum.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sounds like "she who must be obeyed". Hmh. I do wish her well; I flew a lot on PSA, though I have to admit their costume, er uniform, was puerile.

Sometimes there's a very good reason; sometimes, an FA will wing an answer like "it's a regulation!" when it isn't, or even play the Security card. Sometimes it reminds me of

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. - George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 27, 2014 at 1:21 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Their most important attributes were long legs and pretty faces. Being ogled or pinched by lecherous passengers was just part of the job.
Can't say I long for a return to those days.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
'When Hansen signed on, the uniform included a celery-green miniskirt with orange piping and ruffled pettipants. A few years later they switched to hot pants and orange go-go boots.'

Wow, compare that outfit with US' current uniforms! I suppose the evolution acknowledges the reality of FAs being onboard for safety reasons rather than lechery, which is undoubtedly positive; but I would have enjoyed hearing what she had to say about US' current attire. Sometimes it's difficult to tell the crew from the passengers.

I did love the quip 'nothing exotic about a flight to Sacramento'. Just like the shuttle flights today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.