Wiki Posts
Search

US FA refuses to hang serviceman's jacket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold

AA had a long standing tradition honoring our servicemen and women. This man wasn't asking for a freebie, he wasn't asking for an upgrade, he wasn't asking for free booze - he was asking to hang his uniform jacket to preserve the integrity of the uniform - as we are all trained to do.

This happened to me three years ago when I was forced to fly this turd of an airline. I was flying to a funeral on the east coast and carried my uniform on US AIR. I asked to hang it in the bin or in the FC cabin was rudely denied. Instead I held it in my lap (I was in coach bulkhead). FA flipped her lid, grabbed it from me, and shoved it unceremoniously into the overhead bin.

http://http://toprightnews.com/?p=6481

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 11, 2014 at 1:22 am Reason: Merged so AA-Flyer-SAN's post is first in the thread
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
I'd consider this a big non-story. Especially since the primary source of the story seems like somebody who was trying to get his few minutes of fame (not the military guy but the frequent flyer). If this guy was so appalled by the service and/or attitude from the the flight attendant, was it truly necessary to go to the media? Then for the guy to say he is thinking of switching airlines because of this once incident, well I say, good luck to him and c ya later.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The FA refused to hang a jacket of an economy passenger in 1st class wardrobe - have trouble seeing the issue
The FA refused to let the economy passenger just be upgraded by swaps - again seems perfectly correct

The issue seems to me to be the passengers not being prepared to accept the FA doing their job
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The FA refused to hang a jacket of an economy passenger in 1st class wardrobe - have trouble seeing the issue
That's not the issue.

The FA refused to let the economy passenger just be upgraded by swaps - again seems perfectly correct
If it seems "perfectly correct," then which federal law or federal regulation or US Airways rule prohibits passengers from switching seats with a decorated veteran (or anyone else, for that matter)? It cannot be "perfectly correct" unless the flight attendant can cite to a federal law, regulation or airline rule to justify the refusal to let passengers upgrade a soldier.

The issue seems to me to be the passengers not being prepared to accept the FA doing their job
According to the information we have, the soldier asked the flight attendant if they would hang the soldier's jacket in the closet. The issue appears to be the unreasonable refusal by that flight attendant, coupled with the alleged outrageous (if true) behaviour of that flight attendant in refusing to accommodate the soldier's reasonable request plus the alleged outrageous response of yelling at passengers who wanted to ask other FAs for a second opinion and the outrageous behaviour (if true) of the flight attendant refusing to let passengers switch seats to upgrade the soldier.

Have no idea if any of the alleged outrageous behaviour actually occurred - but if it did, then I see a flight attendant with anger management issues, not a flight attendant "doing their job." Apparently, the other flight attendants overruled their colleague because they did hang the soldier's jacket.

If a flight attendant was "yelling" at any passenger in any situation not involving an emergency evacuation, then IMO, that flight attendant was not fit for duty and should have been removed from the flight before departure.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I agree that if the FA yelled at passengers, then that is v poor, but it also seems that it is more than simply someone asked and was told no - which should have been the end of it

There does not have to be a FAA rule that says that an economy passenger cannot be upgraded by other passengers to a higher class. It is not just a case of switching seats within the same class

There is no reason to think that someone with an economy ticket can be upgraded to 1st by other passengers

Refusing to hang a coat up is not unreasonable; it is not an economy service offering

Also, I cannot see what business it is of the other passengers regarding interfering - if they had not interfered, would perhaps the case be that FA said no, passenger goes to his seat and that would be the end of it
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I've been in FC and have voluntarily swapped seats with someone in coach. No FA was involved- the other passenger (a co-worker) and I just did it. Nobody said a thing to stop us.

Curious why the passengers didn't just handle it that way.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:27 pm

[News article] FA refused to hang Army Ranger's uniform jacket

When did they put closets back on the 320?
I also heard it was a garment bag but who knows?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Your link seems to have 404'd.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...lass-passenger

Same incident (probably) different article.

Good for those passengers who offered him their seats. They're definitely cut from a different cloth than this FA.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
AA had a long standing tradition honoring our servicemen and women. This man wasn't asking for a freebie, he wasn't asking for an upgrade, he wasn't asking for free booze - he was asking to hang his uniform jacket to preserve the integrity of the uniform - as we are all trained to do.

This happened to me three years ago when I was forced to fly this turd of an airline. I was flying to a funeral on the east coast and carried my uniform on US AIR. I asked to hang it in the bin or in the FC cabin was rudely denied. Instead I held it in my lap (I was in coach bulkhead). FA flipped her lid, grabbed it from me, and shoved it unceremoniously into the overhead bin.

http://http://toprightnews.com/?p=6481
As there's already a thread discussing this situation, I'll merge this in. I've also moved this post to the top as the first OP deleted his comments.

~Moderator

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 11, 2014 at 1:25 am
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:41 am

U.S. Airways released an apology:

We apologize for the situation and are reviewing the incident internally. We have a long and proud history of serving our military members and hold the men and women who serve our country in the highest regard.
The airline claims the flight attendant received four requests to hang jackets on the flight and the closet was full, but passengers are saying the attendant didn’t explain this on the actual flight.

“Her response wasn’t that there’s not space in the coat closet or ‘I’ve hung too many jackets up.’ It was just simply, ‘Our airline policy says I’m not going to do it, so I’m not going to do it,’” Brian Kirby told WSOC-TV. “I was really appalled at not only the way she looked at him but the way she spoke to him in an angry type.
Still think it is a non-story?

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
I'd consider this a big non-story. Especially since the primary source of the story seems like somebody who was trying to get his few minutes of fame (not the military guy but the frequent flyer). If this guy was so appalled by the service and/or attitude from the the flight attendant, was it truly necessary to go to the media? Then for the guy to say he is thinking of switching airlines because of this once incident, well I say, good luck to him and c ya later.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
When did they put closets back on the 320?
I also heard it was a garment bag but who knows?
This + none of us know what really happened.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:13 am

I thought US Airways removed the closets on all the 319/320/321 aircraft, there is only a rack with hangers on the divider between first class and the main cabin. The last row of first class seats reclines into the coats. My understanding is the closets were removed to add more seats.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:16 am

There are still closets on the east 319's but I believe the a/c on this flight was a 320 which doesn't even have a closet. Coats are hung behind the last row of f/c on the wall and garment bags can't be hung there at all. Bad attitude is never ok, but I'll be curious to hear the specifics of the rest of the story.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The story about it on the local news last night said that the first class passenger took the jacket & hung it behind his seat--hence, no closet.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by malgudi
Still think it is a non-story?
Absolutely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.