Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US FA moved my legs, cracked iPad

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

I was on a cross country flight this week, an A321 in an exit row window seat. No seat in front of me; This is great for me as I'm a tall guy.

There was a lengthy delay before takeoff and I fell asleep with my legs crossed in front of me with my iPad in my lap. This is ideal for me as I'm a light sleeper and have difficulty sleeping on planes.

At some point before takeoff, the FA picked my legs up off the ground using two hands and put them almost under my seat. Think of sitting with your legs extended and now your legs in a 'L' shape.

I was very startled and as a result my IPad fell out of my lap, landing on the screen and it cracked.

This experience was quite disturbing as any time I have seen a flight attendant interact with a sleeping passenger they typically tap him or her on the shoulder, as a supposed to a more physical interaction.

I asked her why she moved my feet without waking me and she said it was time for take off. I followed up with why she did not merely tap me on the shoulder and she was unresponsive and denied causing the iPad damage.

I got the FA's name before de planing but am wondering how, if at all, I can file a complaint.

This is one if my first interactions with the new US/AA and needless to say I was quite upset.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old May 30, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Sleeping passenger at emergency exit during take-off = security risk ?
Old May 30, 2014, 6:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old May 30, 2014, 7:28 pm

Were your legs blocking her from getting to her jumpseat? Do you know if she even tried to tap you on your shoulder to wake you up before moving your legs? Not trying to excuse what she did just trying to figure out why she did it.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Good questions. Nope, not blocking as I was slightly angled. No shoulder tap per the pax near me...I pride myself on being a considerate flyer which makes me particularly frustrated.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
As for the cracked I Pad, I don't think you have much to stand on. If, while you were dozing it fell to the floor or during take off it it slid off, you wouldn't receive any compensation. The fact that it fell when you were startled, it could have also occured if she had indeed 'tapped you on the shoulder.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:12 pm

By chance do you qualify for purchase protection via your credit card?

Wish I could help you deal with the airline directly, but I can't think of anything other than to write in a complaint to US and wait for their response.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
By chance do you qualify for purchase protection via your credit card?

Wish I could help you deal with the airline directly, but I can't think of anything other than to write in a complaint to US and wait for their response.
Thanks yes I will write. Unfortunately I am beyond 1 year.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mauld
As for the cracked I Pad, I don't think you have much to stand on. If, while you were dozing it fell to the floor or during take off it it slid off, you wouldn't receive any compensation. The fact that it fell when you were startled, it could have also occured if she had indeed 'tapped you on the shoulder.
Sure, anything can happen. But those things did not happen. What did occur is quite a bit of unwanted touching from a FA.
Old May 31, 2014, 2:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by joe001
Sure, anything can happen. But those things did not happen. What did occur is quite a bit of unwanted touching from a FA.
Suppose you had fallen asleep without your seatbelt on prior to take off.

Would a FA tapping your shoulder to wake you (and tell you to put on your seatbelt so the plane can take off) constitute "unwanted touching?"
Old May 31, 2014, 9:32 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Nope.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: US, CO, Marriott
It gets extremely tiring that everyone wants compensation for everything.

She was trying to be nice, and in a unrelated move YOU dropped YOUR iPad and it broke.

Suck it up and be more careful next time.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
I don't think there's a security risk but there may be a safety risk. There are certain responsibilities that come with sitting in the exit row. You can't assist with an emergency evacuation if you're sleeping or in a daze after waking up.

I'm not suggesting passengers shouldn't sleep in the exit row, but they need to be awake and alert during takeoff and landing.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Suppose you had fallen asleep without your seatbelt on prior to take off.

Would a FA tapping your shoulder to wake you (and tell you to put on your seatbelt so the plane can take off) constitute "unwanted touching?"
Tapping would be ordinary behavior, and what the FA should have done here. Putting the seat belt on for the passenger would be unwanted touching.
Old May 31, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Sounds to me like the OP's best opening gambit would be "assault".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.