Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on C to SYD on UA and upgrade potential

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways CP, UA 1K, DL Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat
Advice on C to SYD on UA and upgrade potential

I am looking to buy a flight to SYD this summer and then to NRT in the fall. I have looked at flights and AC and UA are comparable (AZ is more expensive an does not get me the internal connections I need). I am flying C and both AC and UA have flat-beds. I have done some research and it seems that AC is slightly a head (better soft product, more privacy, not as comfortable a seat), but I thought I could get C in UA and use miles to upgrade.

I have never done this before so I am wondering how easy that upgrade is to get on UA on LAX/SFO-SYD or IAD-NRT?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming you're looking to do a Star Alliance Upgrade, keep in mind that only C and D fare classes are eligible for upgrades to First Class. Discounted J or Z fares are not eligible. Also, the flight must not be a codeshare; it has to be marketed and operated by UA.

As for availability, I don't know specifics, but *A Upgrades come out of award inventory buckets, so you'd need there to be a First Class award seat in order to upgrade to F. The good news is that generally F awards seem somewhat more readily available than C awards. But there's no waitlisting so you may have to keep trying, and it must be done by 24 hours before departure.

And lastly, just be aware that *A Upgrades are on a per-segment basis, so domestic connecting flights would require additional mileage. And it's 50-60,000 miles each way. Almost as much as a free F redemption award. Not really a good deal, IMHO. You're probably just better off in C on AC.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways CP, UA 1K, DL Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat
Yes I was looking at *A. I did not realize it was 60k each way! Wow that is not worth it.

I am going to see if I can go UA there and AC back and then I can compare and will let FT know.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
For 60k miles each way you may consider saving your cash money and buying a J award; AC and NZ don't have an actual "First Class" on International flights, only Business Class. I've flown the NZ business class long haul and it was a very lovely flight, but if you choose to fly with them, check out the equipment first, as I seem to recall them downsizing some of their service from a 747 to a 767 (I believe it is a 767) which has flat recliners but not the "pod" style layflat beds. I took the recliners on a trans-tasman flight and while they were quite nice for a 3-hour trip, I'm not sure I'd want to spend 14 hours or so in one.

You can also buy a Y fare which is the most expensive Coach fare and use miles to upgrade to Business, on these partners, however, I'd expect that to be pretty expensive unless you can find a good sale. The upside, though, is the mileage you'd earn on the paid Y ticket.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dcpatti
For 60k miles each way you may consider saving your cash money and buying a J award; AC and NZ don't have an actual "First Class" on International flights, only Business Class. I've flown the NZ business class long haul and it was a very lovely flight, but if you choose to fly with them, check out the equipment first, as I seem to recall them downsizing some of their service from a 747 to a 767 (I believe it is a 767) which has flat recliners but not the "pod" style layflat beds. I took the recliners on a trans-tasman flight and while they were quite nice for a 3-hour trip, I'm not sure I'd want to spend 14 hours or so in one.
The 767s don't really have the legs to go LAX/SFO - AKL so you don't have to worry about that. One of the LAX flights is switched over to the 77W that NZ just took delivery of and they are switching the other ones as they start to phase out the 747 fleet.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Then it's the 77W and I'm just getting it mixed up, but according to SeatGuru all the 777's have the flat seats in herringbone pattern, so NZ must have finished their refurbs while I wasn't paying attention

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.