Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Peter3000
I have several questions related to Trial Preferred which I hope someone can answer:

1. Would a flight marketed by AA (eg ticket bought as flight number AA 7434 which is a flight from LHR-KUL operated by Malaysian Airline) qualify as a legitimate flight for miles accumulation for Trial Preferred Status?
sigh.... Codeshare flights do not count towards the trial.

2. I already have tickets for travel in December and January with my AA frequent flier number attached to them. Who do I call (is it AA or US) to try and have my AA number replaced with my US Dividend Miles number?
You can replace your own FF # from your Res, but again, codeshare flights do not count...

3. I am AA Platinum so I have access to premium seats on flights booked with AA. Once I replace my AA frequent flier number with US DM number, I presume I will lose that benefit - correct?

Thanks for any help.
On AA yes, what trail are you going after with US?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:59 pm

On AA yes, what trail are you going after with US?

Thanks for your reply. I wanted to go for top tier Chairman but since codeshares are not allowed, I will fall short so I doubt I will go for it now.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:21 pm

I am currently AA Plat and wants to do Trial status

If I sign up tomorrow, I will have until end of Jan 28, 2015 to complete the status right?

Currently I have already booked LAX-DFW-HKG in November 2014 under my AA account with MCE assigned. Once I signed up for the trial offer for gold ($400), do I need to call US or AA to update my USDM FF#? Will I have to re-assign the seat again?
Will this qualify towards the challenge? Since it is not flown yet (bought from AA.com)

Also, for the rest of the challenge, can I purchase the ticket on aa.com and apply my US # onto it later while still able to pick MCE or have to call them to have it done manually? Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: AA EVP, United 1K and 2MM, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Delta
Can use DM # on AA flights

Earlier this year I did a Trial with multiple flights booked on AA.com but credited to my US # (including an LAX-DFW-HKG flight .

When booking on AA.com you can select your US FF# during the reservation process (as long as you added the US# to your profile @ AA.com)- but its not a problem if you already booked at AA.com using your advantage #. Just call AA with your reservation # and say you want to use your US #. That's how i did it, though others have also described just doing this at the airport to not screw up seats or upgrades. But if you have Gold trial access- you are entitled to MCE as a US gold also - so it should not be an issue calling in and changing the frequent flyer # assigned to the reservation.

One small note on this if you are use to working with AA.com. Once you change the res over to your US #, if you log into AA.com using your AA # it will not show the reservation. You have to go to AA.com and not log into your AA account. Just enter your confirmation # and name to access your res at AA.com once you switch it to your US # vs. your Advantage #.

i believe everything is based on flight date vs reservation date in terms of the trial - but probably worth calling US and confirming given how many miles are involved in an LAX-DFW-HKG flight.

Last edited by johnru36; Oct 30, 2014 at 1:36 am Reason: grammer
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:50 pm

Try Preferred status questions

Hi,

Yesterday I learned about the try preferred status promotion (link. By coincidence, starting with 2 segments earlier this week, the wife has/had 10 segments booked over the next 2 months.

1) While the terms say the status won't apply to the already booked flights, will they count towards the 10 segment goal?

2) Is there any way to see if the 2 segments earlier this week will count if she signs up tomorrow? Also, if she signs up tomorrow how long will it take to go into effect?

Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by Scotttheking
Hi,

Yesterday I learned about the try preferred status promotion (link. By coincidence, starting with 2 segments earlier this week, the wife has/had 10 segments booked over the next 2 months.

1) While the terms say the status won't apply to the already booked flights, will they count towards the 10 segment goal?

2) Is there any way to see if the 2 segments earlier this week will count if she signs up tomorrow? Also, if she signs up tomorrow how long will it take to go into effect?

Thanks!
Already booked segments count toward the trial, but flights flown before signing up will not.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Can I call US now and request a future start date? Would like to start Dec 1 vs now. Wil they accommodate that?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by anandrag
Can I call US now and request a future start date? Would like to start Dec 1 vs now. Wil they accommodate that?
I doubt that but you can sign up whenever you like. You don't need an agent to sign up for Trial Preferred. When you're ready (December 1st), just sign up for it on their website. I recommend to do it a few days before a reservation, so there's enough time for your new status to be reflected in the system and recognized.

This is not like AAdvantage challenges where it has to start on the 1st or 15th of a month. It can start any day you like and you have 90 days from signing up to accummulate as many miles or segments you can and potentially reach Chairman's preferred at 30,000 miles or 40 segments.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
I doubt that but you can sign up whenever you like. You don't need an agent to sign up for Trial Preferred. When you're ready (December 1st), just sign up for it on their website. I recommend to do it a few days before a reservation, so there's enough time for your new status to be reflected in the system and recognized.

This is not like AAdvantage challenges where it has to start on the 1st or 15th of a month. It can start any day you like and you have 90 days from signing up to accummulate as many miles or segments you can and potentially reach Chairman's preferred at 30,000 miles or 40 segments.
My fear is just that they will pull the challenge to align with AA which doesn't offer challenge for highest status level. Would be bummed if they pulled it prior to when I sign up. I'm all booked for travel through early Dec though. Can't really find food fares for Dec so may not be able to travel till Jan. Feels risky to wait that long to sign up
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:44 am

All done

My trial ended Oct. 30th, and by Oct. 29th I had flown 10 segments, 6 on AA and 4 on US, 7910 total flight miles with three free upgrades and one offered through AA which I declined due to the cost. I got an e-mail yesterday confirming my trial was successful and I had earned Silver status through 2016. Also, my online card has been updated to state I'm Silver through 2/28/2016, although I wonder what will happen when the plans merge.

Last edited by mowaca; Nov 3, 2014 at 8:50 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
I completed my trial about two weeks ago. Flew 30,000 miles in 68 days. My account reflects my Chairman's status but if I go to reprint my card link it shows two expiration dates, a "Thru 2/28/15" and a smaller printed "Valid Thru 2/29/16". So why are there two expiration dates? I also never received an email after getting Chairman's status like I did after Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Is that normal?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:15 am

Preferred challenge stats and cost

Thought would be interesting (and 'fun') to share how people are doing on the US Preferred challenge. Some of stats are hidden within the Master Thread on challenge but most of content in that is Q&A vs stats. Hope the moderators agree with me...

So here is my plan...
AA NYC-HKG and 2 NYC-SFO trips (via CLT) should get me to 30k miles and CP status. Should cost me around $1600 + $200 for Silver buy
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by CO777
I completed my trial about two weeks ago. Flew 30,000 miles in 68 days. My account reflects my Chairman's status but if I go to reprint my card link it shows two expiration dates, a "Thru 2/28/15" and a smaller printed "Valid Thru 2/29/16". So why are there two expiration dates? I also never received an email after getting Chairman's status like I did after Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Is that normal?
I completed the Trial and got chairmans at the end of September and didn't receive a welcome to Chairman's email either. I believe that the cards are only valid for one year and we will be issued new cards early next year to get us thru to 2016.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Emerald; IHG S, SPG P, HH D, HGP D, Accor P, Carlson G
Welcome email -- US metal only??

Just enrolled in Silver Preferred trial and got the welcome email. However, it says "only US airways or US airways Express operated flights" count. There is no mention of AA... But the T&C on US Preferred Trial webpage clearly includes AA. I'm a bit confused here
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by anandrag
My fear is just that they will pull the challenge to align with AA which doesn't offer challenge for highest status level. Would be bummed if they pulled it prior to when I sign up. I'm all booked for travel through early Dec though. Can't really find food fares for Dec so may not be able to travel till Jan. Feels risky to wait that long to sign up
Well, if you have booked enough travel through early December, then you should sign up just few days prior to your first flight, so all those reservations count. If you don't fly in December and wait until next year, you'd still have until sometime in February to get to 30,000 miles or 40 segments should you wish to do that. Once you sign up for Trial Preferred, US can't yank it away from you. You don't have much time to put it off as at some point in Q2 2015 or between April and June 2015, DM will disappear and convert to AAdvantage. Given that new AAdvantage resembles a lot of old AAdvantage, I don't think Trial Preferred will carry over. The Buy up to Preferred is currently suspended. This is the easiest way to get to Chairman's Preffered and subsequently, Executive Platinum in 2015 through 02/2016. AA might change AAdvantage even more for 2016, so it may not be worth it to pursue any status with them beyond next year but you can still leverage your Chairman's/EXP status to another program and get a status match.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.