Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic US GoUpgrades and other upgrades [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
In my experience, Shuttle flights and most other flights are priced on distance AND how many seats are left for purchase. If there aren't very many seats left, expect them to jack the price up. For example, PHL-BOS is usually $50 since there are many flights and the elites are spread out, so half or more of the F cabin is up for sale. But, there have been flights that I've been on where there were only 2 seats left, and they were charging $75, presumably because of the (perceived) higher demand of a product they have in shorter supply.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Waiting in the gate area for my A321, LAS-CLT. GA just announced that upgrades are available on tonight's flight for $315..
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Waiting in the gate area for my A321, LAS-CLT. GA just announced that upgrades are available on tonight's flight for $315..
That is about right, was this a redeye?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
That is about right, was this a redeye?
It was. Nobody bit, so we had two empty seats.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by diburning
In my experience, Shuttle flights and most other flights are priced on distance AND how many seats are left for purchase. If there aren't very many seats left, expect them to jack the price up. For example, PHL-BOS is usually $50 since there are many flights and the elites are spread out, so half or more of the F cabin is up for sale. But, there have been flights that I've been on where there were only 2 seats left, and they were charging $75, presumably because of the (perceived) higher demand of a product they have in shorter supply.
Today at OLCI (t-24) there were 4 FC seats left on the shuttle flight for DCA-BOS and you could select them for $83. I will check the kiosk closer to departure to see if the price changes.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:51 pm

Question First Class newbie looking for advice on upgrading a PHL > SFO trip

Hi all. Brand new here, and new to flying anything other than Coach, so please bear with me!

I have a solo trip coming up in a few weeks from PHL to SFO. I already booked it as Coach, but the more I'm thinking about it, it would be real nice to be able to fly first class (for the first time!) since the flight is over 6 hours. But never having upgraded at all before, I'm not positive how it all works.

From what I've gathered, these are my options:
  • Upgrade using Dividend Miles: According to the site, I can upgrade at the cost of 10,000 miles plus $150. (The flight is ~2300 miles)
  • Wait until check-in to see if an upgrade is available: But I have no idea what that $$ fee would be at the time of purchase. (Any ideas?)
  • A third option that I'm unaware of?

Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInPHL
Hi all. Brand new here, and new to flying anything other than Coach, so please bear with me!

I have a solo trip coming up in a few weeks from PHL to SFO. I already booked it as Coach, but the more I'm thinking about it, it would be real nice to be able to fly first class (for the first time!) since the flight is over 6 hours. But never having upgraded at all before, I'm not positive how it all works.

• Upgrade using Dividend Miles: According to the site, I can upgrade at the cost of 10,000 miles plus $150. (The flight is ~2300 miles)
  • Wait until check-in to see if an upgrade is available: But I have no idea what that $$ fee would be at the time of purchase. (Any ideas?)

Welcome to Flyertalk!

Your best option would be to upgrade with miles + copay if you have enough in your account, given there are seats available for upgrade. What's your status on US? If you're CP you may have a chance at a complimentary upgrade, although based on our post I assume you don't have high-level status with US.

PHL-SFO will almost certainly be filled with preferred upgrades before you'd even have a chance at purchasing a last-minute upgrade on that route. Many folks (myself included) also flat-out pay for F on that leg, as it is long and rolling the dice on an upgrade is risky. F fares are often not a whole lot more than Y depending on when you book.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInPHL

PHL-SFO on US, is a very tough route to upgrade with cash or miles as this is a heavy business route, unless you are taking a red-eye flights or on a sat or early sunday flight I wouldn't expect any type of offer..
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
Question Help with upgrading with miles

I am no longer silver with US but have a bunch of miles I would like to use.

Don't want to have to call and check availability everyday.

I want to upgrade using miles

1)what code am I looking for
2)how do I find it/ or do it online?

Thanks and sorry for the newb question

Brandon
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Your best bet for upgrade inventory (which won't necessarily match open seats on the seat map) is expert flyer. A $4.99/month subscription will give you 200ish searches per month. For $9.99/month you'll get unlimited searches and can set automatic availability alerts that will email you when something opens up. In either case, you'll click on upgrade availability and look for fare class A for domestic upgrades to first and fare class C for int'l upgrades from economy to business. There are several blogs out there that give more instruction on expert flyer, too. Good luck!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
The way you can do it for free is do a search by booking with miles for whatever leg you want upgraded, and if there is Low first class inventory that shows up then you can upgrade with miles.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
Is there a way to purchase the upgrade with miles online?

And to use miles, I need A avaliblity to upgrade from economy to first using miles on a domestic flight? I called and they said there was no avalibilty but when I look on expert flyer it shows both flights as A9?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
You can't do it online, but you can see online using the way I posted and it always works for me that there is availability. If you search for your flight and select that you are using miles, is there any low first class availability?

Last edited by heyeaglefn; Feb 27, 2015 at 3:34 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:10 pm

Your way also shows me none, hopefully some will open up before the 7th

Thank you
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:18 pm

Does anyone have any idea when/if they would open upgrade space up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.