Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many sucessful 25k award ticketers out there?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
How many sucessful 25k award ticketers out there?

I have 21k US miles now (mostly former HP miles).

Since I bank US to UA and get double miles, there's no reason for me to bank to US at this time.

But, I figure I should get to 25k so i can book a free ticket and be done with it. So I've been putting some hotel, car rental, etc purchases that way.

But, my question is, is US award availability as rough a road as it appears to be? How many of you have success in booking these awards?

I see a lot of threads about them not being available. But I see similar threads at UA forum, but find availability decent.

Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:49 am

If you're going somewhere that is even slightly in demand, don't expect to find any availability. OTOH, if you're going somewhere way off-peak or with plenty of service, you'll be in luck. For example, I checked BOS-PHL for this month and there's plenty of 25k award availability. Of course, those seats also sell for $120, so you'll get a nice $0.0048/mile return if you choose that. Your choice.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I never really have trouble getting saver award tix. I do not fly to peak places during peak season though. I hate going and being with the crowds, lines, and all of that.

Check UA too. Typically the same avail. but every once and a while they will have a saver award when US does not.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 2:15 pm

Programs: US CP, DL nothing
My only datapoints in the past year for 25k tix have been RDU-LAS (fairly peak period) and 2x ILM - LGA. If you're flexible, you should do fairly well, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the way X inventory is released at times (ie on the LGA trip, we bk'd it 48 hrs in adv and were on full flights). Whereas, I've checked routes that one would think would be easier to score an award ticket on with no dice.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I have booked two 25k saver awards this year. It can take some persistance and playing with dates.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 5:10 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Flexibility is the absolutely key to 25K award. That and wanting to be in LYH, ELM, or MDT and not LAX, LAS or SAN.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 5:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I've had luck recently -- sort of

I have booked two 25K awards for family members recently using US miles. In both cases, US agents had to book them on UA flights, as US had no availability at the 25K level.

In both cases, they were well in advance and US seat maps were wide, wide open.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I was able to get 4 25K seats on the same flight, PHL>SFO RT, 29 March to 03 April
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
I've had luck....but mostly with going the UA route to ORD from DCA or IAD. My wife's best friend lives up there so every few months I'm able to burn either 25k miles to get here up there in Y on UA or 50k miles to get her up there in F on UA while only Y has been available on US for 50k miles. The ability to use miles for UA trips is one of the reasons I like the US program.

Sean
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:52 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Nonstops are sometimes hard, but connections I've often found the discount awards.

But randomly checking a few weeks out Fri 5/4 to Mon 5/7, PHL-LAX, there were nonstop options available at the 25K level (roundtrip).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.