Wiki Posts
Search

Canadair Regional Jet - Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2007, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways Chairman's - Hilton Diamond - SPG Platinum
Canadair Regional Jet - Thoughts

After years of flying US Airways (with always being on A319, A320, A321 or 757) I am going to start taking the Canadair Regional Jet. How bad is this aircraft? I checked Seatguru.com and there does not seem to be a good seat anywhere.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 8:29 pm

Programs: CO/DL:Gold, UA:PremExec; Marriott:Gold, Hilton:Silver
CRJ or Torture Device?

That's pretty much true. The seats are small, uncomfortable, and if you have the pleasure of a window seat, your head could be stuck at a 30 degree angle for most of the flight. Of course, my experiences are based on being 6'5", football-player build...YMMV
Old Mar 17, 2007, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways Chairman's - Hilton Diamond - SPG Platinum
FreqFlyerPhil - Thanks for the quick response. How is the ride and sound?
Old Mar 17, 2007, 8:50 pm

Programs: CO/DL:Gold, UA:PremExec; Marriott:Gold, Hilton:Silver
It's been my experience that the sound isn't so bad if you're toward the front of the plane. The ride can be more choppy in turbulence than a "big boy" jet. All things considered, if you're on a short hop, they're tolerable. Anything more than 60-90 minutes, and you're going to want to crawl out of your skin...

Do others have more to add?
Old Mar 17, 2007, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, Marriot Rewards, Aeroplan,National Exec..
Flying Skidoo

Rode a CRJ from YQR to YVR last week. Smooth as glass. Not a FF but more a once a year type. Headroom no problem for me as I was in an aisle seat. My significant other is 5'4" so she had no problem with the wall or seeing out the window. Seats are resonably comfortable but it was only a two hour trip. I would advise sitting close to the front as it is quite noisy at the lavatory end. The lav is really tiny. AC is now using a jetway at YQR. It is open-aired stepping on to the aircraft but better than having to scurry across the apron at -40 to board up the stairs. One cabin attendant served the drinks and snacks with no problem. For a short flight I see no problems.

Martin.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
CRJs from PVD to PHL/PIT often. Not a good seat anywhere on the plane.

Better than an EMB-145, but I hate CRJs (not as much as I have EMB-145s, usually on UA PVD to IAD).

I actually find I prefer the Dash-8 for comfort , PVD-PHL or BDL-YYZ (on AC)
Old Mar 17, 2007, 9:38 pm

They are uncomfortable for flights over an hour. I usually like the window seat but find it too confining on this aircraft, especially if someone tall is in the aisle seat. I was on one with NW about a month ago and a guy probably 6'5" was sitting next to me. The FA yelled at him twice for have his legs in the aisle. To keep them out of the aisle, he could not keep the tray more than halfway down (he was watching a DVD). As soon as I got to a computer I switched my seat to an aisle for the way home. It wasn't much better and I'm only 5'2".
Old Mar 17, 2007, 9:39 pm

Programs: US CP, DL nothing
My biggest complaint with them is that the windows are placed far too low. I have a tendancy to hunch down and forward to look out the window, then feel it in my neck later. There isn't really any more pitch in the exit rows, so save yourself the discomfort of the thin seat cushions found in those rows. Bulkhead isn't all that bad, though.

If you have the option, take the jungle jet (Embraer145). I personally find that aircraft to be more comfortable.

Gone are the days of nearly all mainline here in ILM
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
CRJ is an evil little aircraft. I'll take the ERJ 145 any day (as long as I get an "A" seat). I avoid CRJ's and Dash-8's if at all possible.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mudfish
CRJ is an evil little aircraft. I'll take the ERJ 145 any day (as long as I get an "A" seat). I avoid CRJ's and Dash-8's if at all possible.
The CRJs aren't that evil...the Mesa configured CRJs are transports from Hell...the PSA Airlines(US Express) config is much better.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:37 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I think that one night when these birds are done with their run for the day, we should bomb them all and blow them apart. I hate CRJs--way way way too cramped. They shouldn't be run on anything longer than BWI-PHL. At least the ER4s have a single left-side seat.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:42 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Mudfish
I agree on the ERJ...a much better airplane. you can actually see out the window, and the A side is the place to be
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Piling on here, the I think the CRJ-200s stink. I'm an o-line build and if I have to be on one of those, only an aisle seat will even fit me because I don't feel like having to tilt my neck.

The CRJ-700 is slightly more tolerable, but I've only experienced the PSA ones. I've been able to avoid the Mesa ones.

The ERJs are much better in my opinion, especially on the "A" side.

Actually, I'd even take one of the old Dorniers over a CRJ....
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
I'm convinced the CRJ's are Satan's gift to air travelers. The only exception being the few 700's that UA has that are all Economy Plus. I know everybody hates that Dash 8's, but I'll take one anyday over a CRJ on a flight less than 400 miles. At the very least you stand the chance of grabbing the 2-4 seats which are manageable with good leg room.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by fishintheobx
I'm convinced the CRJ's are Satan's gift to air travelers. The only exception being the few 700's that UA has that are all Economy Plus. I know everybody hates that Dash 8's, but I'll take one anyday over a CRJ on a flight less than 400 miles. At the very least you stand the chance of grabbing the 2-4 seats which are manageable with good leg room.
Amen or at least the B1900s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.