Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Automatic Upgrades on US-operated flights (new program 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note: this thread replaces the thread in the US forum on automatic upgrades on US flights. The latest of these threads is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation/1642741-us-automatic-upgrades-elite-master-thread-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Automatic Upgrades on US-operated flights (new program 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by windsnob
If I'm traveling with a non-status companion and there are upgrade seats available but no adjacent seats, will they upgrade us automatically anyway or will they just give the seats to the next 2 in the list?
Provided there are sufficient number of seats in F, they will seat you where ever you can.

On my upgrade flight last week on a E175, we were seated in 1D, 2A, and 3F.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by leonrojo1816
Just hit AA platinum through the challenge. Booked a bunch of flights on usairways.com operated by USAir. I am aware of the free automatic upgrade requests. Should I be expecting an email at 72 hours? What do I do if I don't get one? Do I just wait patiently till boarding or should I be asking someone for the upgrade? Is there access to a list like AA provides on their app? route is from airports in Miami, FL area to PHL

please reference personal experiences
anyone????
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Just hit AA platinum through the challenge. Booked a bunch of flights on usairways.com operated by USAir. I am aware of the free automatic upgrade requests. Should I be expecting an email at 72 hours? What do I do if I don't get one? Do I just wait patiently till boarding or should I be asking someone for the upgrade? Is there access to a list like AA provides on their app? route is from airports in Miami, FL area to PHL

please reference personal experiences
I'm Ex Plat (Previously Chairman) but I believe AA Platinum is in fact 3 days and there should be an email sent out (I get mine in the morning on the west coast). If you don't get one most likely there weren't any available (I rarely get upgraded and don't get an email but I have been not upgraded and not gotten one). To view the standby list for First you can use the mobile website (mobile.usairways.com) and click on the Flight Status Button then click the date of your flight and enter the flight number. Then once that loads, click on the Upgrade List link at the top of the page. This only gets populated after OLCI has happened. Just a reminder that people connecting get to check in before you and therefore could get on the list ahead of you before you even have a chance to get on the list.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
anyone????
In theory, you'll receive an email with thumbs-up and/or downs. In reality, these have pretty random lately. Got two right on time in the last week, but some of us had given up as notifications had been spotty.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Robertsonland
I'm Ex Plat (Previously Chairman) but I believe AA Platinum is in fact 3 days and there should be an email sent out (I get mine in the morning on the west coast). If you don't get one most likely there weren't any available (I rarely get upgraded and don't get an email but I have been not upgraded and not gotten one). To view the standby list for First you can use the mobile website (mobile.usairways.com) and click on the Flight Status Button then click the date of your flight and enter the flight number. Then once that loads, click on the Upgrade List link at the top of the page. This only gets populated after OLCI has happened. Just a reminder that people connecting get to check in before you and therefore could get on the list ahead of you before you even have a chance to get on the list.
thanks
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:35 pm

Upgrades mixed airlines

If this was mentioned somewhere else i may of missed it but wondering if anyone else has had this same experience.

I am silver / Gold with US, about 2 weeks ago on an American flight to DFW i asked the AA gate attendant in my originating Airport if there was any first seats available on my next leg DFW to CLT. She said yes i can put you on the standby list.

When i got to DFW I saw i was cleared and life was good.

Another flight, PHL to DFW i asked the aa gate attendant and she said that since i was Silver with US they couldn't process the upgrade request. Same airline, same flight booked through US but with a different answer.

The same happened to me on a DFW to MFE flight, this time first was filled and they couldn't even get me on standby.

I know the merger may of helped this but it seems strange that it happened with one AA flight, but I got a different answer with someone else.

Have upgrades seemed any more sparse now that status' have been merged
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by tenpins77
I would think absolutely yes. By combining activity, AA has created more higher level elites than before the combo.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by tenpins77
If this was mentioned somewhere else i may of missed it but wondering if anyone else has had this same experience.

I am silver / Gold with US, about 2 weeks ago on an American flight to DFW i asked the AA gate attendant in my originating Airport if there was any first seats available on my next leg DFW to CLT. She said yes i can put you on the standby list.

When i got to DFW I saw i was cleared and life was good.

Another flight, PHL to DFW i asked the aa gate attendant and she said that since i was Silver with US they couldn't process the upgrade request. Same airline, same flight booked through US but with a different answer.

The same happened to me on a DFW to MFE flight, this time first was filled and they couldn't even get me on standby.

I know the merger may of helped this but it seems strange that it happened with one AA flight, but I got a different answer with someone else.

You lucked out on the DFW/CLT flight. Only Executive Platinums are entitled to free upgrades on flights over 500 miles unless of course a lower level elite is willing to use the 500 mile upgrade "stickers".

Also DFW/MFE is over 500 miles so again, you are not entitled to a free upgrade. You'd have to use 500 mile upgrade "stickers".
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I would think absolutely yes. By combining activity, AA has created more higher level elites than before the combo.
Well I'm not going to lie - since the FF merger anytime I fly with a companion I've been booking on US AIR vice American just for the free companion upgrade. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Question though- how do upgrades work for international ?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
This is my first flight after the program part merger. For some reason I usually get upgraded on this route (CLT-LGA) but not this time and not even an email 100hrs out.

Weird. Do I have to call to be put on the list? It is US/US ticket.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by iztok
This is my first flight after the program part merger. For some reason I usually get upgraded on this route (CLT-LGA) but not this time and not even an email 100hrs out.

If you have access to ExpertFlyer, you may check the inventory for your flight. X is likely 0, which means you wouldn't be getting an upgrade right now. As long as your AAdvantage number is in the record, the system will keep checking automatically. If it still hasn't happened the day before, it should be yours at OLCI (unless they really are out of seats because of paid tickets). The emails are pretty sporadic, so you may get upgraded without notification.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by iztok

US upgrades are still automatic although the emails have been wonky. Not getting the upgrade when you usually did in the past could be a result of the larger elite pool. LGA-CLT is a route that may have a large number of both pmAA and pmUS flyers.

Not sure how pmAA EXP, and EXP by merged accounts, are being tiered into the queue. They are now eligible at 100 hours out also. If their full rolling year of BIS miles is properly captured, there could be several people ahead of you now that previously were not eligible until OLCI.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Admirals Club, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond, National Emerald Executive
Got my first thumbs up email on my first trip post FF merger.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:23 pm

I am AA Plt, today booked an economy (N class) ticket on US metal MIA-PHL traveling next Thu. For an unknown reason when I checked my itinerary I saw I was placed in X (FC upgrade) and assigned seat in F. I am thinking this is some type of glitch but wanted to see if this has happened to anyone lately?

Last edited by CalNaughtonJr; Apr 15, 2015 at 1:39 pm
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by CalNaughtonJr
I am AA Plt, today booked an economy (N class) ticket on US metal MIA-PHL traveling next Thu. For an unknown reason when I checked my itinerary I saw I was placed in X (FC upgrade) and assigned seat in F. I am thinking this is some type of glitch but wanted to see if this has happened to anyone lately?
X is the comp upgrade bucket and if your flight is next Thursday (4/23) something's probably amiss??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.