FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvantage Automatic Upgrades on US-operated flights (new program 2015)
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:03 pm
milesandmoremiles

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by tenpins77
If this was mentioned somewhere else i may of missed it but wondering if anyone else has had this same experience.

I am silver / Gold with US, about 2 weeks ago on an American flight to DFW i asked the AA gate attendant in my originating Airport if there was any first seats available on my next leg DFW to CLT. She said yes i can put you on the standby list.

When i got to DFW I saw i was cleared and life was good.

Another flight, PHL to DFW i asked the aa gate attendant and she said that since i was Silver with US they couldn't process the upgrade request. Same airline, same flight booked through US but with a different answer.

The same happened to me on a DFW to MFE flight, this time first was filled and they couldn't even get me on standby.

I know the merger may of helped this but it seems strange that it happened with one AA flight, but I got a different answer with someone else.

Have upgrades seemed any more sparse now that status' have been merged
You lucked out on the DFW/CLT flight. Only Executive Platinums are entitled to free upgrades on flights over 500 miles unless of course a lower level elite is willing to use the 500 mile upgrade "stickers".

Also DFW/MFE is over 500 miles so again, you are not entitled to a free upgrade. You'd have to use 500 mile upgrade "stickers".