Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Automatic Upgrades on US-operated flights (new program 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note: this thread replaces the thread in the US forum on automatic upgrades on US flights. The latest of these threads is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation/1642741-us-automatic-upgrades-elite-master-thread-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Automatic Upgrades on US-operated flights (new program 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I previously posted this in the Newbie lounge with likely isn't the right place. Mods please feel free to adjust.

For EXP complimentary upgrades I know there are times when you have to wait until 24 instead of the standard window because of the codeshare. If I book the following on the US Website - OKC to DFW AA operated and DFW to PHX US operated will I be at 24 hours for the AA portion and 100 hours for the US? My goal here is to have the best chances of upgrading the longer DFW to PHX portion and I plan to book on US for that normal window. My concern is that the first leg is on AA. Does this matter?
A couple of things:

1) For the DFW to PHX flight, you will be eligible for the upgrade at the 4 day window. US goes by days not hours for upgrades.
2) For the OKC to DFW flight, you will only be able to get an upgrade if available at check in within 24 hours of flight. If its not available at check in, ask to be added to the upgrade list at the airport.
3) Should you not get upgraded in advance for the US flight, you'll have to have an agent at the airport add you to the upgrade list. My suggestion would be to have that done in OKC at the US counter. If its anything like TUL, you might have the same agents working both AA and US.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Gold
Standby for 1st @ Check-In Not Working?

I checked in this morning for my IAH>PHL flight tomorrow. On the seat selection page I normally get the option to select the "Standby for First Class" check box. I did not get that option, but it clearly showed 3 seats available for a fee. Is this the "new normal" or just a glitch in the system? Has anyone else seen this issue? I called the Platinum line, and she was stumped too. Told me to keep watching and just ask at the gate if I don't clear today. I also looked at the Upgrade stand-by list, and it showed nobody on the list, with 3 seats available.

Any suggestions??
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Admirals Club, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond, National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by jdvoigt
I checked in this morning for my IAH>PHL flight tomorrow. On the seat selection page I normally get the option to select the "Standby for First Class" check box. I did not get that option, but it clearly showed 3 seats available for a fee. Is this the "new normal" or just a glitch in the system? Has anyone else seen this issue? I called the Platinum line, and she was stumped too. Told me to keep watching and just ask at the gate if I don't clear today. I also looked at the Upgrade stand-by list, and it showed nobody on the list, with 3 seats available.

Any suggestions??

Did you book via US or AA?

Seems like a glitch. Try rechecking in via the US Airways APP. That always allows me to grab them seats in F.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
In my experience, the only time I get the 24 hour upgrade window is when I book codeshares. If neither of the flights are codeshares, then you should be upgrade at the normal window no matter which website you use to do the booking. YMMV
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Railtester
Did you book via US or AA?

Seems like a glitch. Try rechecking in via the US Airways APP. That always allows me to grab them seats in F.

I booked via AA site, but these all flights are US Airways flights. I checked in via the US app. I could see available F seats, but the only option was to pay for them. I guess I'll just keep monitoring. I thought it was strange that nobody was listed on the Upgrade list either...sounds like a glitch.

Thx
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:22 am

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:56 pm
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
IME, these T-8 day emails usually happen if a US flight was booked as a codeshare (this behavior predates the merger).
I usually get my first "Your Upgrade Status" email 4 or 5 days ahead of my flight. Always a denial, as I'd expect as that's way before an AA Gold would expect it.

But then I often get a second email, with upgrade success, 2 to 3 days prior to the flight. My hit rate is at least 75% this year, always US ticket stock, US metal, and US flight numbers. That's far better than I ever had on UA or DL as a low-tier elite. (AA always varied from great to bad, depending on whether it was a good place to use 500's.)

I may be in the minority of flyers who will miss US Airways. I'm sure a few months from now, we'll be back to the e-500 system and I'll have to pick and choose my upgrades. One of my regular segments is MCI/PHX, a lousy route on which to use the 500's (assuming I'd need three of them).
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by pinniped
I usually get my first "Your Upgrade Status" email 4 or 5 days ahead of my flight. Always a denial, as I'd expect as that's way before an AA Gold would expect it.

But then I often get a second email, with upgrade success, 2 to 3 days prior to the flight. My hit rate is at least 75% this year, always US ticket stock, US metal, and US flight numbers. That's far better than I ever had on UA or DL as a low-tier elite. (AA always varied from great to bad, depending on whether it was a good place to use 500's.)

I may be in the minority of flyers who will miss US Airways. I'm sure a few months from now, we'll be back to the e-500 system and I'll have to pick and choose my upgrades. One of my regular segments is MCI/PHX, a lousy route on which to use the 500's (assuming I'd need three of them).
I flew MCI-PHX-SJC on Thursday. PHX-SJC cleared at T-4d. MCI-PHX cleared a day later. I'm used to the fact that when I book AA the upgrade will never clear at the T-100h window, but the fact that it's starting to come later on a route like MCI-PHX is worrying to me. That's never been anything approaching elite-heavy, and was an easy upgrade for me even back when I was starting out with USDM and was a lowly US Gold.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:19 am

FWIW - More changes to the system might be happening....

Request upgrades....

We're unable to automatically request an upgrade for your flights.

To request an upgrade, you can:
• Submit an upgrade request
• Call 800-882-8880 or contact us

The flight... April 2016!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
I flew MCI-PHX-SJC on Thursday. PHX-SJC cleared at T-4d. MCI-PHX cleared a day later. I'm used to the fact that when I book AA the upgrade will never clear at the T-100h window, but the fact that it's starting to come later on a route like MCI-PHX is worrying to me. That's never been anything approaching elite-heavy, and was an easy upgrade for me even back when I was starting out with USDM and was a lowly US Gold.
I got my email this morning....success on MCI-PHX for Wednesday afternoon. ^ (T-60-ish hours)

"Not yet available" for PHX-PDX that evening. Seatmap still shows 4 open and a light load in the Preferred seats in Y, so maybe there's some hope...
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
If I'm plat and my companion is nothing and we're on one pnr, is our upgrade window 3 days before flight? Can I get us both upgraded if there are 2 A seats available 3 days before flight? Or does my companion drag me down to 24 hours? Don't really want to split pnr and be a terrible person.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by hiima
If I'm plat and my companion is nothing and we're on one pnr, is our upgrade window 3 days before flight? Can I get us both upgraded if there are 2 A seats available 3 days before flight? Or does my companion drag me down to 24 hours? Don't really want to split pnr and be a terrible person.
Being on a single PNR will give you both the highest status between the two. The real trick is AA opening two seats at the same time, but if they do and you both are then next two to be upgraded (not the next pair), then yes, you should get the upgrade. AA is more likely to open seat one at a time, in which case you will be skipped over. You can request to split (not the PNR) for the upgrade in which case one would be upgraded before the other. At one time I thought they went alphabetical through the PNR as I would get upgraded before the EXP, but that hasn't always been the case.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Being on a single PNR will give you both the highest status between the two. The real trick is AA opening two seats at the same time, but if they do and you both are then next two to be upgraded (not the next pair), then yes, you should get the upgrade. AA is more likely to open seat one at a time, in which case you will be skipped over. You can request to split (not the PNR) for the upgrade in which case one would be upgraded before the other. At one time I thought they went alphabetical through the PNR as I would get upgraded before the EXP, but that hasn't always been the case.
Thanks. How would I split the upgrade? Call them up and ask to split the upgrade? Should I call soon or at the 3 day mark? Do most csr know how to do this split or will I have to huca a couple times to get a competent one? Last time I split my pnr with another friend and he almost got stuck at the connecting airport due to mx issues and delay. I ended up getting F seat and he got middle seat last row. I don't want to split the pnr in case of issues so we're both high on the standby list or whatever.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by RogerD408
The real trick is AA opening two seats at the same time
Since this thread is for US operated flights, yes, getting AA to open two seats at the same time on US metal would be a real trick!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I booked a mixed AA/AA and US/US itinerary on aa.com using Google flights redirect to remove the codeshare potential that always occur when I go via the website directly.

The AA flights came first, did get one upgrade, no email.

The T-4 days email came from US for the US/US segments, and I saw a message that I have never seen before: "Segment mismatch". The US folks said that it was referencing the AA flights (which the US system can't upgrade) even though they listed the US flights (as a normal upgrade email will do), but I am still on the waiting list for the US flights even though they have not cleared as yet -- maybe they should have, but not sure if the mix booking is confusing the system.

I mean, I will find out if those US/US flights do clear or if the mixed booking is not working well with the reservation systems. In any case, it seems pretty easy to confuse the systems.

Finally while I have never tried it, the agent specifically said that they don't touch the upgrades and let the systems do their thing (essentially, this is related to the jumping the queue situation that was possible when availability opened, but didn't process the list). I am not sure if this is a new policy or the queue jumping thing still happens.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.