Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Automatic Upgrades on US-operated flights (new program 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note: this thread replaces the thread in the US forum on automatic upgrades on US flights. The latest of these threads is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation/1642741-us-automatic-upgrades-elite-master-thread-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Automatic Upgrades on US-operated flights (new program 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: WFBF
Missed an upgrade for the first time this year. SJC-PHX-MCI, cleared on PHX-MCI four days ago, but SJC-PHX I was #2 on the upgrade list at the gate and only #1 cleared. Looked like about half the plane was elites, and I made a note to avoid flying out of SJC on Thursdays.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Multi-Pax Record

Suppose I am flying with two companions. I am pretty sure that only one is eligible for auto-upgrades. Is there a way to get the third into an exit row?

What if all three necessarily have to be booked on the same record? (Might be using the credit card cert for 2 $99 companion tix.)
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
My previous AA and US itinerary did cause the US flights to not process with the AA flights in the first part of the itinerary. No codeshare involved, but on 001 paper. Not sure if this has happened for others.

Question. If there are two elites and two non elites on one pnr and for some reason four seats became available, would all four be upgraded on a US flight? Or is it limited to one non elite companion?

Rasheed
Old Jul 11, 2015, 3:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by redtop43
Suppose I am flying with two companions. I am pretty sure that only one is eligible for auto-upgrades. Is there a way to get the third into an exit row?

What if all three necessarily have to be booked on the same record? (Might be using the credit card cert for 2 $99 companion tix.)
You're correct that only one is eligible. If you're EXP though, it won't be an "auto-upgrade" — you'll need to have stickers or buy stickers in your account for your companion.

If all three are booked on the same record, the best would be to call and specify who you'd like to be put on the upgrade list.

You may have to put him in an exit seat, and then split the record locator, which would definitely work, but try to avoid that as in the case of any equipment swaps or such, he might lose his MCE/preferred seating.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by rasheed
...Question. If there are two elites and two non elites on one pnr and for some reason four seats became available, would all four be upgraded on a US flight? ...
Yes, though I have no recent experience with more than one non-elite on my PNR on a US flight. The last experience was 6 months ago (pre FFP merger) posted here.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
You're correct that only one is eligible. If you're EXP though, it won't be an "auto-upgrade" — you'll need to have stickers or buy stickers in your account for your companion.

If all three are booked on the same record, the best would be to call and specify who you'd like to be put on the upgrade list.

You may have to put him in an exit seat, and then split the record locator, which would definitely work, but try to avoid that as in the case of any equipment swaps or such, he might lose his MCE/preferred seating.
This is on US metal. I think the US rules still apply, where all elites get unlimited space-available upgrades.

What I might do is get all 3 of us exit rows (US equipment doesn't have MCE), then try to split the records. I don't think they would take an assigned seat away.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
This is on US metal. I think the US rules still apply, where all elites get unlimited space-available upgrades.

What I might do is get all 3 of us exit rows (US equipment doesn't have MCE), then try to split the records. I don't think they would take an assigned seat away.
FWIW -
Pre-merger, they would absolutely remove a non-elite from a premium seat, including exit row.

Not sure what it is now.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Yes, that's correct. My bad, I thought I was in the American version of this thread.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:41 pm

Platinum elite auto upgraded prior to 24hr window

I just made two reservations with separate PNRs for two of us who are both AA platinum on the aa.com website on USAir flights/metal and one of the reservations auto upgraded to First 72 hours prior. My reservation did not auto upgrade and is being held to 24hr prior check in. I had to use the aa.com website to burn some aa virtual gift cards otherwise I would have used the usair.com site. Both reservations were done exactly the same way. Is the migration starting?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
I just made two reservations with separate PNRs for two of us who are both AA platinum on the aa.com website on USAir flights/metal and one of the reservations auto upgraded to First 72 hours prior. My reservation did not auto upgrade and is being held to 24hr prior check in. I had to use the aa.com website to burn some aa virtual gift cards otherwise I would have used the usair.com site. Both reservations were done exactly the same way. Is the migration starting?
Are you 100% sure your reservation was booked on AA as a US flight 123, not AA flight 123 operated by US? (It can be hard to see the difference.)

In your situation, that is the only thing I can think of that would make you wait for 24 hour check-in.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Upgrade inventory can be released slowly based upon statistics. Since you were booked on separate PNRs and you didn't mention if you called in to have them linked (not needed), one seat may have come available and it was given to your travelling companion. Presuming no higher status person gets in line for an upgrade, you should expect to get the next available seat.

Trying to make sense of when an upgrade will come through can drive you crazy. When I was travelling with an EXP and I was PLT, there were many times when I cleared first. Sometimes it was at T-100 or anytime up to boarding. The term "traveling defensively" really applies. Arrive early, BE NICE, eat/pack food all work to your benefit.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I believe that upgrades are based on your ytd eqp. If your companion has more ytd epq, it would explain it.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by hiima
I believe that upgrades are based on your ytd eqp.
After status, it is based on miles on US/AA over the past year.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Now that flights after 10/17 are all AA flights....

If a ticket was purchased before the cutover of 7/18 on US Airways through US (NOT a codeshare), how will upgrades work for those flights? Will elites still get complimentary upgrades? Or will they need to put in to use 500-mile e-certs?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Now that flights after 10/17 are all AA flights....

If a ticket was purchased before the cutover of 7/18 on US Airways through US (NOT a codeshare), how will upgrades work for those flights? Will elites still get complimentary upgrades? Or will they need to put in to use 500-mile e-certs?
They've already announced that the US-auto upgrade program will end after there's no more US flights. After that point, the AA program upgrade policy will take effect.

The AA program includes all flights 500 miles or less (for all), as well as unlimited domestic upgrades for those with EXP status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.